Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - Odd Fuse Board older house

Options
  • 25-10-2016 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

I came across this fuse board in a house I was viewing for purchase recently. See the two attachments.

It looks to me like something you'd see in a commercial premises not a home.

Any ideas what kind of board this is? I have no electrical background so any advice on it is welcome.

I would assume it would have to be replaced.

I'm curious about what its doing in a house if nothing else.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's an 'American' style board, probably nothing wrong with it except for what looks like a cardboard cover over the exposed switch. Crabtree and Square-D sold that type of panels here for a long time but you are right, it was industrial grade, not domestic.

Possible that a previous owner was an industrial electrician and decided his panel needed to be bulletproof.

If you buy, have it inspected, if the house is old then it may need a re-wire anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

Impossible to say for certain whether the board needs to be replaced or not. If I was a betting man I would put my money on it needing little or no work. This board looks like it is good quality despite the fact that it is dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:
    Impossible to say for certain whether the board needs to be replaced or not. If I was a betting man I would put my money on it needing little or no work. This board looks like it is good quality despite the fact that it is dated.

Yes rising main busbar ?

Note though
    If you are doing any work in the house , it's very possible that switchgear for extra showers etc that new MCBs and RCDs etc that it will be very expensive and possibly difficult to get.

If it was me I'd replace it with a domestic board if I planned on adding to the house.

It looks like there is a nice recess there and as a result and it's possible that a nice recessed GE or ABB enclosure would fit the space nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Thanks to all of you for your very helpful comments on this, this has been genuinely very helpful to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mrplod

It would be important that all the mcb's were of the correct rating and type (correct curve) Also that there is correct RCD protection on required circuits. Best get an experienced electrician to check it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement