Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary School Teaching - Engineering

Options
  • 25-10-2016 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Folks,

Just looking for a bitta advice.
    My ultimate goal is to become a engineering secondary school teacher. On advice from my Guidance Councillor in Secondary School, I decided to complete an Engineering degree - BEng. To become a secondary school teacher, I realise that I have to complete a Hdip, but on TeachingCouncil.ie my course is not on the designated list. BEng of Mechanical and Manufacturing in DCU

(Can't post link to Teaching Council because I'm a newbie)

Does this mean that my degree isn't worth a sh**e to me?? Or am I just being a fool and worrying about nuthin'? In my final year in college so I'd want to start looking towards my future.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Where did you do your degree?
    Possibly try get in touch with teaching council and ask them why your degree isn't on list?
    Also might be no harm in getting in touch with the appropriate people in UL, I'm nearly sure its the only place you can do the H.Dip for engineering/technology teaching, they may be able to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Master Culpepper

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm completing my degree in DCU. I reckon I'll have to ring them alright. Also seen somewhere that a number of Engineering courses aren't eligible to teach Maths which I find a bit strange (if true) as my course covers a lot of Leaving Cert maths - well from before the full integration of Project Maths and because you need a half decent understanding of maths to get a degree in Engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm completing my degree in DCU. I reckon I'll have to ring them alright. Also seen somewhere that a number of Engineering courses aren't eligible to teach Maths which I find a bit strange (if true) as my course covers a lot of Leaving Cert maths - well from before the full integration of Project Maths and because you need a half decent understanding of maths to get a degree in Engineering

You need to do the p.grad for education anyway so ring UL and get the lie of the land off them. They might be able to advise you. While you're in UL you might be able to do modules while there to make up shortfalls as the undergraduate metalwork teachers are there anyway.

Advertisement