Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appliance Cost

Options
  • 25-10-2016 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We have started using a 0.5kw oil electric heater.

Can I confirm my understanding that a 0.5kw electric heater would need to be used for 2 hours to use a single unit of electricity( one unit is equal to 1kw of power used for one hour)

Therefore the approx. cost of using the appliance would be 0.8c per hour (cost per unit is approx. 16c currently)

Just want to confirm the above is correct and we don't get hit with a huge bill if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi markcahill1985,

Thanks for your message.

The basic unit of electricity is the Kilowatt hour (kWh). This means that one kWh is the amount of energy used by a one kW (1000 watt) electric heater (for example) for one hour.

If you have an appliance that is 0.5 kW, then it would take approximately two hours to use one kW.

The current unit rate, for a a standard electricity meter with Electric Ireland, excluding VAT, is currently €0.1513 per unit.

We hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

Advertisement