Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing an old ironing board

Options
  • 25-10-2016 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice from the woodworkers on here as I am a complete novice at wood, my area is machinery.

My wife has been given an old ironing board from her mother and would like me to clean it up. The main board is made from chipboard and the legs from iron pipe so it's very heavy. It's not an expensive/valuabel item, more something that was passed down from her mother so I'd like to refurbish it, even if the cost ends up being a multiple of a new one.

My own background is Marine Engineering so immediate instinct was to go for metal for the main board but it's going to be very heavy.

The only light wood I know of is balsa wood - would this be a suitable wood? it will be getting heat and steam applied to it.

Have any of you heard of a supplier of wood somewhere in Cork city? I'm familiar with the usual builders suppliers over on the Douglas/Togher side but they only seem to have pine planks or plywood. I could use these woods but again they're haevier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Virtually any sheet goods would do - plywood/ chipboard etc. Balsa would be expensive and not strong enough. The trick would be to source the DIY stores and buy a smaller piece ( you don't need a standard 8x4 foot ) to suit your dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Thank you - I spotted a planed pine plank in a builders providers that looks (to the naked eye) slightly longer and wider so I should be able to use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Thank you - I spotted a planed pine plank in a builders providers that looks (to the naked eye) slightly longer and wider so I should be able to use that.

Wide for a pine plank - an ironing board is about 15" across. Just beware of splitting under the heat of the iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

recipio wrote: »
    Wide for a pine plank - an ironing board is about 15" across. Just beware of splitting under the heat of the iron.

Hmm, I wonder if I use insulation under the cloth - it should reflect the heat up. This is more a "try it and see" project, there is absolutely no value in doing this, we'll loose money in fact, but it's for the pleasure it'll give to my wife.

And again, thank you for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

Go with a marine or bich ply. It's a decent tight board and won't move a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

use a wool wadding (basically an old wool army blanket) underneath a cotton cover that's what my late dad put on his he made 40+ years ago (just repaired) stops the steam better than a silver cover.

ooh ther you go felt pads

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/ironing-boards+covers/brabantia-ironing-board-replacement-felt-pad/invt/047224

Advertisement