Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Chapelizod Bypass (Roadworks)

Options
  • 25-10-2016 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi,

With the darker evenings and roadworks on the bypass, it's not a great choice picking between squeezing on the left of cars and the metal barrier or shooting up the middle of the two lanes.

What's the alternative route heading West? I remember from another thread a while back a mention of a new cycle path in Chapelizod- where is this as from looking at google maps, the R112 is one way into Chapelizod so not sure how I get from there to Palmerston without going back onto the Bypass?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Could you follow the canal and turn off near ballyfermot somewhere or go via the park somewhere?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Strawberry Beds?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Strawberry Beds?

I'm currently going through the park and out either at Farmleigh and going the upper road to Lucan, the top of the Strawberry beds, or going the "diversion" route via Ballyfermot.

The park gets quite dark now and with the hour going back too so that's a consideration.

If doing the latter, I don't follow the second "diversion" sign down to Chapelizod but continue on to Ballyfermot and then CherryOrchard Hospital, Liffey Valley and then Lucan.

Basically it depends which side west you want to get to as to which is further out of your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

I use the Strawberry Beds and vary between upper and lower.

Roads are narrow and I would definitely use a real good set of front lights so that you can see the road as well as a meaningful set of rear lights. Given the narrowness of both roads you do need to own the road otherwise you risk cars trying to squeeze passed around corners.
    I have used the Beds route for years and prefer it to the Chapo bypass which I know rarely if ever use - too many near misses by buses and taxis going too fast and too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

The new footpad on the r112 is actually a two way cycle track too. (I think, i use it anyway) Once you get to the bus turn about scoot across onto the path and up the hill behind the petrol station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

i use the quays, conynham rd, chapelizod up by the west county behind the apple petrol station ,old N4(very old) over the footbridge at Kings hosp. under the Liff Valley fottbridges behind the Deadmans pub(new name?) bike path all the way to pitch & putt in leixlip staying on the east bound side(bike path/footpath)

https://www.strava.com/activities/754867994

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

Ballyfermot & Liffeyvalley ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Idioteque wrote: »
    What's the alternative route heading West? I remember from another thread a while back a mention of a new cycle path in Chapelizod- where is this as from looking at google maps, the R112 is one way into Chapelizod so not sure how I get from there to Palmerston without going back onto the Bypass?

Thanks
    The cycle lane from the bus turning bay west to Palmerston is 2 way, but narrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

AmboMan wrote: »
    Ballyfermot & Liffeyvalley ?

I do this the odd time I need to cycle to Leixlip for work.

Kilmainham/Ballyfermot/Cherry orchard/Coldcut Road/Fonthil Road and then left at the big Liffey Valley roundabout down St lomans road and right at next major junction to bring you to N4 at Woodies junction.

Also avoids the M50 junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Thanks everyone for the various suggestions :)

devonp wrote: »
    i use the quays, conynham rd, chapelizod up by the west county behind the apple petrol station ,old N4(very old) over the footbridge at Kings hosp. under the Liff Valley fottbridges behind the Deadmans pub(new name?) bike path all the way to pitch & putt in leixlip staying on the east bound side(bike path/footpath)

https://www.strava.com/activities/754867994

This is great, will try it out tomorrow. Wanted to keep roughly the same route so this works out perfect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement