Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor claim the public parking space his

Options
  • 25-10-2016 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,

I would want to know does he have the right to do some from the following scenario:

My house is a corner house which has a long pavement on the side of our house. Cars has been parked there ever since the very start and I do notice that many of my neighbors would park there instead of parking in their parking slot, which is fine since I only park my car in front of my house.
    However, today a few of my friends decided to visit me and my front garden has been parked with cars so I told my friend to park at the side of my house since there was a space. An hour later a neighbor knocked on my door demanded me to remove my friends car since we parked in 'his' parking space. He said it's his by law because he has been parking there for such a long time.

So here is my question: Is it true that he now owns that spot or I can just ignore him and park there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

So here is my question: Is it true that he now owns that spot or I can just ignore him and park there?

Tell him to jog on and Bang the door in his face .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hello,

I would want to know does he have the right to do some from the following scenario:

My house is a corner house which has a long pavement on the side of our house. Cars has been parked there ever since the very start and I do notice that many of my neighbors would park there instead of parking in their parking slot, which is fine since I only park my car in front of my house.
    However, today a few of my friends decided to visit me and my front garden has been parked with cars so I told my friend to park at the side of my house since there was a space. An hour later a neighbor knocked on my door demanded me to remove my friends car since we parked in 'his' parking space. He said it's his by law because he has been parking there for such a long time.

A parking spot cannot be acquired in such a manner on a public street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

As this mis-informed person happens to be your neighbour, I suggest you be careful how you handle this.
    You don't want a very bad fallout because of this.
    Try to keep it as civil as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd tell him it's just going to be on the odd occasion that it will happen. No point getting into a possible long standing argument with someone you have to live beside. Don't let him bully you either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP Ask your neighbour for the letter from the council granting him sole parking rights on the public roadway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Why doesn't the neighbour park in his own driveway?

Regardless, if it is a public street no one owns any parking space.

Politely tell your neighbour to cop himself on and not to be making up laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

[...]He said it's his by law because he has been parking there for such a long time.

Now that did make me laugh out loud :D:D

Next time calmly ask him to show you where in Irish law it states that, smile and close the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Ignore him and park there if you need it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Next time calmly ask him to show you where in Irish law it states that, smile and close the door.
    Section 1.4 of the 1992 Finders Keepers & Dibs Act

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

He's talking rubbish. If it's a public road anyone can park there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

You can ignore him, but it might be a good idea to invest in some security cameras to keep an eye on your property and any vehicles you park there, in case your neighbor decides to escalate from complaining to vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Tell him to bring his title deeds confirming the space is his. Usually makes this go away in a flash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Whatever you do, don't let the council know there is high demand for parking... they'll paint white lines and install ticket machines...

Would be interested in seeing a case like this in court where the land registry says you own the porperty to the middle of the road.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Steve wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't let the council know there is high demand for parking... they'll paint white lines and install ticket machines...

Would be interested in seeing a case like this in court where the land registry says you own the porperty to the middle of the road.. :D

It wouldn't last very long as parking is regulated by law on all roads "maintained" by a local authority. Ownership is irrelevant; if the owner wished to take the road out of the charge of the authority, they would have to take an entirely different action.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Set up a security camera as hidden as you can get, from now on park your own car in that space or have a friend park there for a few weeks.

You're neighbour is acting like a self entitled d1ck and he's entitled to nothing in relation to this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

nice diy project and a 35 yard skip is what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

whiskeyman wrote: »
    As this mis-informed person happens to be your neighbour, I suggest you be careful how you handle this.
    You don't want a very bad fallout because of this.
    Try to keep it as civil as possible.

I have been in OP's position when i was still living in Holland. Some knob calling the door at 22.30 in the evening because i was parked in "his" spot. Open road, no marked parking spaces whatsoever but i happened to be parked in front of his place.

I told him i would be down in a second. It is now about 16 years later and i still have to go.

A fall out will come anyway with people like that. Now it is the spot besides his house, next time it is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I used to park my work van outside rented house opposite me, it was sold recently to a nice couple. I just naturally moved van as I knew they would need that spot for their car.

People can get very territorial and have it in their heads that spot is mine when it isn't. Even though its outside your property its classed as public parking and as others have said anyone can use it.

OP I wouldn't be surprised if your neighbour gets all high and mighty over this spot. Just be prepared for another encounter, but calmly put him straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

inforfun wrote: »
    I...A fall out will come anyway with people like that. Now it is the spot besides his house, next time it is something else.

So true.

The trick is not to antagonise them, but not actually do anything. So blame someone else, that they can't check. Like the friends asked a passing Garda and he said it was ok.

Ask a silly question get a silly answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

My house is a corner house which has a long pavement on the side of our house. Cars has been parked there ever since the very start and I do notice that many of my neighbors would park there instead of parking in their parking slot, which is fine since I only park my car in front of my house. However, today a few of my friends decided to visit me and my front garden has been parked with cars so I told my friend to park at the side of my house since there was a space. An hour later a neighbor knocked on my door demanded me to remove my friends car since we parked in 'his' parking space. He said it's his by law because he has been parking there for such a long time.

Hold on its the side of YOUR house? First time I read it I thought you said his house which I can kinda understand to an extent (even though he would still be in the wrong) but your house? Neck like a jockies bollox that fella, your never going to win with ignorance like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Lol... He's claiming squatters rights for his car. Obviously he can't do this. How you want to handle it is up to you but keep in mind you could be neighbours for decades if you both own your own homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

mad m wrote: »
    I used to park my work van outside rented house opposite me, it was sold recently to a nice couple. I just naturally moved van as I knew they would need that spot for their car.

People can get very territorial and have it in their heads that spot is mine when it isn't. Even though its outside your property its classed as public parking and as others have said anyone can use it.

OP I wouldn't be surprised if your neighbour gets all high and mighty over this spot. Just be prepared for another encounter, but calmly put him straight.

The OP's neighbour doesn't have a leg to stand on since the spot is on the road at the side of the house, not outside his own property, but it can be frustrating when neighbours consistantly park outside your house.

Parking is often a source of conflict between neighbours, particularly parking consistantly outside another neighbours house.
    There is a certian, unwritten rule of 'fair usage' and polite consideration when it comes to parking. Generally people park outside their own gaff unless there is a car in that space.
    Other people take the utter piss.
    I've known folks end up in bitter conflict with a neighbour whose three cars (and their visiting friends took up half the street.) Their attitude was breathtakingly entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

He must be claiming that hes has adverse possession. IF its public he would have had to have the area in his sole possession for over 30 yrs. i cant see how he can claim exclusive use of this land for 30 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BbSean

If he is claiming possession of the parking space as he has been parking in it then counter it and say that it is now your car because its being parked on your property for the same period of time.

That will confuse him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

BbSean wrote: »
    If he is claiming possession of the parking space as he has been parking in it then counter it

by photoshopping a final demand for the last 10yrs of commercial rates on the space. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭coolbeans

conorhal wrote: »
    mad m wrote: »
    The OP's neighbour doesn't have a leg to stand on since the spot is on the road at the side of the house, not outside his own property

Not sure what you're saying here. If it's not on his land there's no entitlement to take space, be it outside his house or not. You seem to think that if the spot is outside his own property that he may have some claim to it. He doesn't. The only way op can be asked to move is if a driveway is blocked. Anyone's motor can be left outside a stranger's house as long as it's taxed and insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

An hour later a neighbor knocked on my door demanded me to remove my friends car since we parked in 'his' parking space. He said it's his by law because he has been parking there for such a long time
    I would have said I do not know who owns it and to call the gardai on these scumbag kunts, kicked up a fuss saying you also reckon its the law and say you will be happy to cooperate with gardai when they arrive. Maybe even suggest you will call the gardai and innocently ask him if he happens to know the exact law to quote.

The real thing that annoys me is stupid pricks who take up 2 spaces outside my house, so as to appear as not to be taking up either houses "spot", but in effect taking up 2. Morons.

Advertisement