Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time shotgun licence

Options
  • 25-10-2016 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi all.
    can someone please tell me how to go about getting a shotgun licence. i dont really want to bother the guardai with questions like this wasting their time. what doccuments are needed to obtain a licence and purchase a gun, and also how should i go about asking for land permissions.people seem to say that you need a safe for a shotgun but last night on crimecall the guarda said one is not needed for a shotgun is this correct.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Hi ferrethunter I had to ask pretty much the same question just a few days ago - if you go to the "shooting on your own property" thread I got some really good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Just because you don't legal need a safe doesn't mean you shouldn't have one.

Remember, 1) it a potential lethal device and should be kept safe at all times, 2) you paid out you hard earned money on it and don't want to make it easy to be taken in the event of break in

Just my personal opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ferrethunter

i already have a gun safe i just wanted to clarify it. i wouldnt leave a gun lying around my house considering i have a young daughter. thanks for the reply anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hello ferrethunter and welcome to the forum.
    hi all.
    can someone please tell me how to go about getting a shotgun licence.
    Have a read from post 52 onwards of this thread. It'll run through most questions you have and should you need to ask anything else just come back here and post away.
    what doccuments are needed to obtain a licence and purchase a gun,
    You need:
    1. Letter/receipt from Registered firearm dealer for the gun you intend to buy
    2. 2 Permissions for land (private) or gun club membership details or range membership details
    3. FCA application form
    4. Not a prerequisite for a license, but i'd also suggest insurance for your sake, and peace of mind for the land owner.
    and also how should i go about asking for land permissions.
    You can either join a gun club or get private permissions as an individual. This requires knocking on doors. It might take a little time, but don't be put off by any "No's" you get. Once you have two you're sorted.
    people seem to say that you need a safe for a shotgun but last night on crimecall the guarda said one is not needed for a shotgun is this correct.
    Legally for one shotgun only the MINIMUM security level is a trigger lock, then the shotgun broken up into it respective pieces and stored separately around the house. However that is minimum and is subject to the whim of the Superintendent issuing the license. S/he can demand a trigger lock, safe, alarm, moat with sharks with lasers on their heads if s/he (Super) deems it necessary.

So to say a safe is not required is legally speaking correct, but technically wrong.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement