Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Week 8 Thread

• 25-10-2016 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭

Thursday Night/Friday Morning 1.25am

Jags @ Titans

Sunday 1.30pm

Redskins v Bengals @ Wembley

Sunday 5pm

Lions @ Texans
    Cardinals @ Panthers
    Seahawks @ Saints
    Chiefs @ Colts
    Raiders @ Bucs
    Patriots @ Bills Live on Sky Sports
    Jets @ Browns

Sunday 8.05pm

Chargers @ Broncos

Sunday 8.25pm

Packers @ Falcons Live on Sky Sports

Sunday Night/Monday Morning 12.30am

Eagles @ Cowboys

Monday Night/Tuesday Morning 12.30am

Vikings @ Bears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

7-8 (presume a draw goes in loss column) this week, 57-50 on year

Jags @ Titans
    Redskins v Bengals
    Lions @ Texans
    Cardinals @ Panthers
    Seahawks @ Saints
    Chiefs @ Colts
    Raiders @ Bucs
    Patriots @ Bills
    Jets @ Browns
    Chargers @ Broncos
    Packers @ Falcons
    Eagles @ Cowboys
    Vikings @ Bears

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

3 year in a row Jags @ Titans is the terrible thursday game.. no surprise tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

What a pity that the Sunday with games on an hour earlier is the Sunday with just two games in the 4pm Eastern slot.

At least they're interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Oh NFL.... with that Thursday night matchup you are really spoiling us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Oh NFL.... with that Thursday night matchup you are really spoiling us!

The term drizzling ****s was invented for a game like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

8-7 on the week which leaves me at 72-35 for the season.

Jags @ Titans
    Redskins v Bengals
    Lions @ Texans
    Cardinals @ Panthers
    Seahawks @ Saints
    Chiefs @ Colts
    Raiders @ Bucs
    Patriots @ Bills
    Jets @ Browns
    Chargers @ Broncos
    Packers @ Falcons
    Eagles @ Cowboys
    Vikings @ Bears

3 year in a row Jags @ Titans is the terrible thursday game.. no surprise tbh
    While the last two Thursday night games between them might not have been great games I can remember a lot of cracking games between the two in Nashville over the last couple of years.

I'm looking forward to it again. Mariota seems to have improved over the last couple of games and the Jags need to put on a show after last week's debacle. I think this could be the game of the week.

Yeah, I am looking forward to it too. Lots at stake in the game too. Both teams have realistic playoff prospects (although many doubt they can do it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

D9Male wrote: »
    What a pity that the Sunday with games on an hour earlier is the Sunday with just two games in the 4pm Eastern slot.

At least they're interesting.

That means you'll get nearly 50/50 coverage of two decent games on Sky sports mix (Redzone). Plus with the hour earlier it means ill get to watch more of the evening games before hitting the hay for work on a Monday.

And the Bengals/Washington are on SSM that day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

16-14 on the season , so not a great start after two weeks. Had a horrendous 6-9 last week

Jags @ Titans
    Redskins v Bengals
    Lions @ Texans
    Cardinals @ Panthers
    Seahawks @ Saints
    Chiefs @ Colts
    Raiders @ Bucs
    Patriots @ Bills
    Jets @ Browns
    Chargers @ Broncos
    Packers @ Falcons
    Eagles @ Cowboys
    Vikings @ Bears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭cosatron

8-7 last week, 56-51 overall
    Jags @ Titans
    Redskins v Bengals
    Lions @ Texans
    Cardinals @ Panthers
    Seahawks @ Saints
    Chiefs @ Colts
    Raiders @ Bucs
    Bills
    Jets @ Browns
    Chargers @ Broncos
    Packers @ Falcons
    Eagles @ Cowboys
    Vikings @ Bears

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

eagle eye wrote: »
    While the last two Thursday night games between them might not have been great games I can remember a lot of cracking games between the two in Nashville over the last couple of years.

I'm looking forward to it again. Mariota seems to have improved over the last couple of games and the Jags need to put on a show after last week's debacle. I think this could be the game of the week.

LAst couple of years games have been ok, but neither team had anything to play for

D9Male wrote: »
    Yeah, I am looking forward to it too. Lots at stake in the game too. Both teams have realistic playoff prospects (although many doubt they can do it).

Titans have more playoff aspirations than the Jags but a loss here and they are dead and buried imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Going to my first Bucs game on Sunday after 15 years of being a fan.

Missed the London Bucs games for various reasons so buzzing for this.

Heading to the TNF game against the Falcons as well.

The Raiders game should be exciting with two great young QB/WR combos with AC/DC and Winston/Evans. Crabtree is on fire at the moment as well. Both sides offence looks good, but defensively both have significant wrak spots.

Hoping for a Bucs win and a quick turnaround to do the double on the Falcons to clip their wings and take the lead in the NFC South.

Enjoy!

LAst couple of years games have been ok, but neither team had anything to play for

Titans have more playoff aspirations than the Jags but a loss here and they are dead and buried imo

I wouldn't bury Titans in this division. Their schedule looks okay, too.

agree, but lose this and they are 0-3 in the division.. no team is going to outright win this by 2/3 games imo, it'll be very close and could come down to their division games

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

27-0....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

dfx- wrote: »
    27-0....

Ended 36-22,was not an accurate reflection. Jacksonville were disgraceful, could have been 60-0.

Titans really took their foot off the jags throat.

Mariota was golden.

Bortles' numbers look good, but he was gash. I wonder how long they keep faith in him. And Bradley for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Bortles throwing motion is absolutely terrible, the regression from last year is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭letowski

Bortles is like the ultimate garbage time QB.

just watched the game there..

Titans were impressive even with how bad the Jags were, Henry was let loose a bit more here and just ran over everyone.

Titans o-line even with both starters at guard out is a big run mauling machine, Mariota was smart with the ball.

only 2 sacks and Bortles put up big garbage time stats which we need to stop happening.

Watched the first half last night and a little bit of the second half and then watched the rest this morning.

Titans looked impressive on both sides of the ball. Henry is going to keep Murray fresh and it's a really good one two punch with slightly different ways of running. Mariota looked impressive too as did pretty much the whole offense and defense.

The end of the game showed that the Jags issues are all related to the offensive line. They don't seem able to open a hole for the running game and Bortles isn't getting much time in the pocket either. The last quarter showed that Bortles is accurate when given a bit of time as Titans went into soft zone and didn't go after him as much. What I seen time and time again was Bortles having to get out of the pocket because it wasn't just one tackle not able to do his thing, the whole pocket was collapsing nearly all the time and there was no way to stay in there and step around to avoid it.

Anyways Tennessee have certainly improved over the last couple of weeks and are serious contenders for divisional honours.

I would expect both the Texans and colts to lose this sunday, so titans will be tied but 2 division games behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I would expect both the Texans and colts to lose this sunday, so titans will be tied but 2 division games behind

last weeks loss was a massive one for the Titans, such a pity they couldn't get the win there would have put them in the driving seat

last weeks loss was a massive one for the Titans, such a pity they couldn't get the win there would have put them in the driving seat

yep big time, a win there would have been immense in the battle for the division.

Chargers
    Packers
    Colts

Are up next, expect Rodgers to tear our secondary apart, but we need to win those other 2 games

yep big time, a win there would have been immense in the battle for the division.

Chargers
    Packers
    Colts

Are up next, expect Rodgers to tear our secondary apart, but we need to win those other 2 games

I think you can beat the Packers and Colts, I think the Chargers could be one of those under the radar teams this season , they shouldnt be where they are having lost alot of close ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Thursday night football needs to be put out of its misery. There's been a huge decline in ratings for football this season, and many people think a part of the problem is oversaturation, best exemplified by TNF, which seems to pit two banged up teams against each other week after week, with not nearly enough time to recover from their previous outing. The Packers Bears game was a great instance of this, a bunch of second stringers playing a bunch of third stringers. This kind of ****e makes people switch off, and dilutes the product.

Also, stop putting the Bears on primetime, show some mercy for the love of God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Thursday night football needs to be put out of its misery. There's been a huge decline in ratings for football this season, and many people think a part of the problem is oversaturation, best exemplified by TNF, which seems to pit two banged up teams against each other week after week, with not nearly enough time to recover from their previous outing. The Packers Bears game was a great instance of this, a bunch of second stringers playing a bunch of third stringers. This kind of ****e makes people switch off, and dilutes the product.

Also, stop putting the Bears on primetime, show some mercy for the love of God.

I agree, the Thursday night games have been both poor on paper and poor in reality, except for the season opener between Denver and Carolina. Listening to the CBS commentary doesn't help either, although I think NBC are taking over the later TNF games which will help.

Is putting some games on Saturday simply a non-starter because of college and other sports? I wonder how well a Superbowl would compare ratings wise if it was played on a Saturday night. Certainly more people on this side of the Altantic would watch it live...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I agree, the Thursday night games have been both poor on paper and poor in reality.

Is putting some games on Saturday simply a non-starter because of college and other sports? I wonder how well a Superbowl would compare ratings wise if it was played on a Saturday night. Certainly more people on this side of the Altantic would watch it live...

Probably Saturday wouldn't work simply because so many people who might watch NFL will not do so if it clashes with their college games. It would probably be considered a serious encroachment on the NCAA's territory as well, doubt it would be considered very favourably (also if the NCAA responded in kind and started putting major college games up against NFL games on Sunday, they could be badly hurt). It could be possible to have some Saturday games on when college football is out of season.

It would be more in their line to get their Sunday product right and forget Thursdays. Getting it right probably means different things to different people but they could start by easing up on the excessive celebration penalties, letting a catch be a catch, and generally not turning their games into flag festivals and zebra parades, which the last year or two have been increasingly unbearable facts of the game.

I agree with RDSs last paragraph in that the standard across the league(players and officiating) has been poor for the past seven weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bank Holiday Monday = being able to stay up for Sunday Night Football.

Also the Sunday and Monday Night Football games will be on an hour earlier (00:30am) this week as well as Thursday Night Football in week 9.

It's the little things. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Redskins game was advertised on bbc?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Deco99 wrote: »
    Redskins game was advertised on bbc?

Red button

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

No red button available. Is there a way to manually search for the red button broadcast on other channels section on sky.

Some drive to kick things off for the Redskins.

Perfect response from the Bengals.

65 yard kick off return followed by a couple of strong runs from Hill and Bernard finished off by the latter for a 12 yard TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

astraj wrote: »
    No red button available. Is there a way to manually search for the red button broadcast on other channels section on sky.

Try Sky Sports Mix (407). That's free for some non-Sports subscribers.

This bengals and redskins game is a decent enough game.

• Advertisement

The NFL shouldn't have moved the PAT back.

Superb play action from the Bengals there. Fooled everyone.

Horrific play from Dalton there. That was truly awful.

That catch from Green, even with Norman's PI. :eek:

That extra point miss from Nugent is such a killer now. Redskins would have needed a TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The NFL shouldn't have moved the PAT back.

Why?

It makes the kicking part of the game more crucial as PAT's aren't complete gimmes anymore and they can have a role in deciding a game now.

Redskins player down. It looked terrible. His neck bent in a way it's not meant to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What are the commentators talking about? Hightower hit him in bounds

I think I'd move on from Lewis at the end of this season if I were the Bengals.

11 years, no playoff wins in 7 attempts (and 5 in a row) and they are really struggling this year.

There's only so many years the same message can last before becoming stale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Wow.... Iceing the kicker actually worked!

• Advertisement
Advertisement