Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilminder search

Options
  • 25-10-2016 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all - I'm looking for advice re childminders.
    We're in the process of arranging a childminder for our little one who will be 9 months old when I go back to work. We have come across a few good options (at least they sound like they'll be good!)... We are going to meet them over the coming weeks of course, but we're wondering about requirements etc. Some seem to be garda vetted, others aren't but say they will have no problem being vetted. One in particular has garda vetting, first aid training, fetac level 5 etc. Another one has none of these things but sounds like a very kind and gentle person.

I'm finding that most of the people who contacted me in response to the ad are not vetted/trained etc, and are not members of childminding Ireland. What are your thoughts on this? Is this the norm?

Finally, what are your thoughts on a childminder having dogs? An established family dog and a new puppy. It puts me off to be honest, but I'm not an animal person and find dogs can be irritating, but I don't want my daughter to feel like that. I would love her to like dogs and feel safe around them. But having a childminder who has dogs worries me with regards safety.

Any thoughts or advice on this would really be appreciated! Apologies for the long rambling post...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Eabanos wrote: »
    Hi all - I'm looking for advice re childminders.
    We're in the process of arranging a childminder for our little one who will be 9 months old when I go back to work. We have come across a few good options (at least they sound like they'll be good!)... We are going to meet them over the coming weeks of course, but we're wondering about requirements etc. Some seem to be garda vetted, others aren't but say they will have no problem being vetted. One in particular has garda vetting, first aid training, fetac level 5 etc. Another one has none of these things but sounds like a very kind and gentle person.

I'm finding that most of the people who contacted me in response to the ad are not vetted/trained etc, and are not members of childminding Ireland. What are your thoughts on this? Is this the norm?

Finally, what are your thoughts on a childminder having dogs? An established family dog and a new puppy. It puts me off to be honest, but I'm not an animal person and find dogs can be irritating, but I don't want my daughter to feel like that. I would love her to like dogs and feel safe around them. But having a childminder who has dogs worries me with regards safety.

Any thoughts or advice on this would really be appreciated! Apologies for the long rambling post...

My childminder is not vetted, has no formal qualifications and isn't registered, but she is amazing with kids, and I'd be lost without her. I think there's a lot to be said for your instinct. Remember that documentary a couple of years ago about that crèche where the staff were really rough with the kids? Those people were (I'm sure) Garda vetted, and trained etc, but I wouldn't want them looking after my kids. That's not to say I think training is bad and I'd avoid it, just that your gut instinct is very important too!

My minder has two dogs, it's not an issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

First childminder was Garda vetted had Level 5 fetac and we didn't fit at all. Second childminder is a mum, no vetting, no fetac and a dog. She is a legend. She is a mammy away from home for him. My only concern is that if I go again she might not manage two of mine as my lad has a little buddy over there who was there first. They are inseparable and incredibly cute

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Eabanos

Thanks for the responses, they're really reassuring. I think you're absolutely right. Go with my gut etc. Ultimately I just want someone to be kind and gentle with her, talk to her and play with her. It's a tough decision but hopefully we'll find someone who is a good fit. I think one of them has quite a large dog which worries me, but I guess I'll just meet them and see.
    Anything I should be asking? (other than the obvious?).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

People are different but there's no way I'd let me child with a minder who has a dog (at least if the dog is allowed in the house or has access to the children). Simple fact is no matter how nice a dog is they cannot be guaranteed not to harm a child. Of course the risks are no doubt very low but if you're concerned at all then go for someone else.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It does not take much to join Childminding Ireland and all members are Garda vetted and Insured so I would personally insist on it.
    A family dog would not bother me .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

The childminding ireland membership wouldn't bother me but I wouldn't personally go with anyone who wasn't garda vetted, insured, first aid trained and registered with the local childcare committee.

Registration with the childcare committee in most cases involves a home suitability check and childminders who are registered are required to keep within the allowed numbers.

Advertisement