Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Tax Question

• 25-10-2016 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I bought a car April just gone, but it's in my name since 1st May. Waited since then to do my full test to get insured to save money, passed last Monday and called up last Friday for the insurance company to tell me they wont insure my car since it's been sitting for 6 months.

She said either sell it and buy a new one or put the car in someone else's name and then change it back to mine. I want to put the car in my brothers name and then back to mine but will I need to pay the tax on it from May before I do this or can I wait till I get the car back in my name and then pay a years tax + the owed tax since May or will my brother have to pay it?

Also on the motor tax website it will not let me login with the last 6 digits of the chassis number and my registration number, have I to get insured first or?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sell to anyone then buy back... Wink wink.
    Then when back in your name tax it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tax arrears go away when ownership of the car changes and that should include changing it back to yourself afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Sign the car over to your brother, you can then (if you wish) - tax the car whilst in his name - tax will only be liable from the beginning of the month it came to his ownership) by using the pin retrieval function on the motor tax website. Then re-sell the car back to yourself and motor on.

Or else, you wait for the vlc to return in his name and you can then sign it back to yourself, await for the vlc (log book) to arrive to you and then tax it from the beginning of the month it came in to your ownership. I.e. you do it today - you are liable for tax from 01/10

As an aside, how do your insurance company know that it's untaxed?

And further - what does it concern the insurance company whether a car is taxed or not, or even how long it's been out of tax? ? Not directed as you op, general question...

Some insurance companies look for nct tax and licence

• Registered Users Posts: 18 LH_

Cheensbo wrote: »
    As an aside, how do your insurance company know that it's untaxed?

And further - what does it concern the insurance company whether a car is taxed or not, or even how long it's been out of tax? ? Not directed as you op, general question...

I made the stupid mistake of doing online quotes so they had all the details as soon as I called up and gave them my name and address. My brother who is with the same insurer also said they ask for a scan of the logbook so I couldn't even lie and say I had just bought the car so now I have to change names and go through all this BS...

• Advertisement

I wouldn't lie anyway.

But still don't see how it's any of their concern tbh..

Set up a new email and different name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Cheensbo wrote: »
    I wouldn't lie anyway.

But still don't see how it's any of their concern tbh..

They can just refuse to quote if they want information that you don't want to give them.

In any case, I bet that there is a clear correlation between accident / claim rate of untaxed cars versus taxed cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sell to anyone then buy back... Wink wink.
    Then when back in your name tax it.

Surely if the brother is at the same address then it looks a bit suspect? John Smith sells to James Smith at the same address then James Smith sells it back to John Smith at the same address.

Or am I over thinking this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The transfer of ownership wipes any outstanding arrears with the new owner only paying from the time of purchase.

Just be aware that the insurers are starting to look at cars that yo-yo between owners to avoid tax and dont look on them kindly when quoting insurance.

How much do you owe in arrears? Its 10% of the annual cost per month arrears.

• Advertisement

They can just refuse to quote if they want information that you don't want to give them.

In any case, I bet that there is a clear correlation between accident / claim rate of untaxed cars versus taxed cars.

Yeh they can ask when you last ate a sandwich but it will still have no bearing on ones insurance.

Even if there was a correlation, still doesn't directly relate to why they refused the op a quote, the op owned the car for 6 months before looking for insurance - what's it's got to do with Mr.insurer whether it was taxed for that period or not??

Can't tax without insurance, can't insure without tax.

It's no wonder there's so many people not bothering with either.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Surely if the brother is at the same address then it looks a bit suspect? John Smith sells to James Smith at the same address then James Smith sells it back to John Smith at the same address.

Or am I over thinking this!!

You're over thinking it.

They'll have to make it illegal to sell personal property to close up this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 LH_

The transfer of ownership wipes any outstanding arrears with the new owner only paying from the time of purchase.

Just be aware that the insurers are starting to look at cars that yo-yo between owners to avoid tax and dont look on them kindly when quoting insurance.

How much do you owe in arrears? Its 10% of the annual cost per month arrears.

I'll pay the tax arrears no problem I just want my logbook to say the car is only recently in my name. I'd much rather not pay the tax if its legal not to pay them if I haven't even driven or insured the car. I was planning on paying the owed tax anyways if I was able to get insured last Friday but now due to the circumstances if I don't have to, i'd rather not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

LH_ wrote: »
    I'll pay the tax arrears no problem I just want my logbook to say the car is only recently in my name. I'd much rather not pay the tax if its legal not to pay them if I haven't even driven or insured the car. I was planning on paying the owed tax anyways if I was able to get insured last Friday but now due to the circumstances if I don't have to, i'd rather not.

You can't declare it off the road in retrospect. The date of sale is marked on the log book and noted on the vehicle database when it is transferred to the new owner. Tax is owed from that month.

You don't have to produce your insurance cert when taxing a car since the online system came into play and details couldn't be verified.
    Signing the form is making a legal declaration that's what's in it is true.

They give 21 days instead of the original 10 at change of ownership due to delays of getting vlc.

You can transfer to your dog for all they know and transfer back.

Also while waiting on vlc to return you can keep an eye on motor tax site to see has change being updated and you will then be able to tax online create a new pin and enter your email.

Speeds up the process

Advertisement