Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on first build part list

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Very Solid. I'd go for a nice 1080p 144hz monitor to go with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nothing wrong with it, but do you plan overclocking? If not, you can save a good bit of money by getting a non-K processor and a more basic motherboard. PSU is also overkill, the whole system would only draw about 250w under load. A decent 450w+ is fine and would still give you tons of headroom for overclocking and future upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ash_

BloodBath wrote: »
    Very Solid. I'd go for a nice 1080p 144hz monitor to go with that.

It's on the wish list :D
    Nothing wrong with it, but do you plan overclocking? If not, you can save a good bit of money by getting a non-K processor and a more basic motherboard. PSU is also overkill, the whole system would only draw about 250w under load. A decent 450w+ is fine and would still give you tons of headroom for overclocking and future upgrades.

I intend to overclock depending on the requirements. And I was going for standard 550w PSU, but saw there was only about 10€ difference with 650w, that's why I choose it. Anyways, I'll keep in mind before ordering. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Amazon have a good deal on this version of the MSI GTX 1060 have bought it myself. Better than stock and £50 cheaper. Sorry for long link on mobile.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01KF90IY8/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_pre_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I'd move some things around and get a 1070.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'd move some things around and get a 1070.

1070 is overkill really unless you're going 4k. For 1080p the 1060 is perfect and costs an awful lot less

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1070 is overkill really unless you're going 4k. For 1080p the 1060 is perfect and costs an awful lot less

It's not overkill if you're going for 1080p/144Hz

I can just about average 140fps in Overwatch with most settings on High.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I'd say more 1440p. Your point still stands. I'd just be more inclined to not pay 1100 euro just to aim for 1080p.

Nothing wrong with your parts. They're all solid. Just something to consider. If you're planning a black Friday /cyber Monday raid. don't get too set on exact parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Overclocked 6600K + rest of system would be around 320W, so 450-500W is alright.

Also obligatory
    BLACK FRIDAY IS ACTUALLY NEXT MONTH,sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You probably could stretch to a 1070 if you plan on going 1440p/144hz instead of 1080p/144hz down the line. Big jump in the price for those monitors though but it's worth it if you want a bigger monitor. 27" 1440p/144hz is the sweet spot at the moment. Perfect mix of resolution, pixels per inch and refresh rate that's actually obtainable on a single high end card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement