Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much this bike is worth?

Options
  • 25-10-2016 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

What price would you consider this to be a bargain?
    Recently services
    Frame: Focus Cayo Carbon 2007
    Fork: Carbon racing fork
    Headset: FSA integrated
    Stem: FSA OS190 12cm
    Bars: Deda Piega 44cm
    Brakes: Shimano BR-R560
    Shifters: Shimano Ultegra 6600
    Front derailleur: Shimano 105 5600
    Rear derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 6600
    Cassette sprockets: Shimano Ultegra 12-27
    Chain: Shimano Ultegra
    Cranks: Shimano FC-R600, 34/50, 110bcd, 175mm
    BB: Shimano
    Wheels: Mavic Aksium Race
    Tyres: Continental Gatorskin 23mm
    Saddle: Specialized Rival 143
    Seatpost: Concept 27.2mm

Pics http://failiem.lv/u/7kdm9bee#

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Common answer: it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

If I were looking to buy it I wouldn't want to pay any more than 400 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Thanks. Maybe i can get a second opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

About 270, I would think.

ok. i thought a carbon bike would be worth more. thanks for the replies!

I'm just old fashioned, a "late adopter" really.
    10 year old carbon frame and forks would have me wondering if the next jar from a joint in the road surface would have me eating tarmac.
    I have a bike with almost identical gear/brake parts. Its 6 years old, an alloy frame and carbon forks. I find myself looking at the forks while riding and wondering "will they break today?" Paid 300 euro for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

You're worried about the wrong part - The aluminium is far more likely to fail spontaneously due to metal fatigue than the carbon is.

That being said, 6 years old is not very old. I'd agree that the bike described by the OP is worth around €400 though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ok. i thought a carbon bike would be worth more. thanks for the replies!

The problem is the age, technology moves on. A newish aluminium frame can outperform an old carbon one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's 10 speed also, which means upgrading certain parts might mean you'd have to go for lower quality components.

it's 10 speed also, which means upgrading certain parts might mean you'd have to go for lower quality components.

The latest tiagra looks good and I've heard it performs well too. I won't be surprised if it was on par with 6600 ultregra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's actually a very nice looking bike. Are you buying it or selling it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

tuxy wrote: »
    The latest tiagra looks good and I've heard it performs well too. I won't be surprised if it was on par with 6600 ultregra.

You propably hasnt got a chance to experience Ultegra 6600 and DA in real life otherwise you wouldnt even place Tiagra and Ultegra 6600 in the same sentence :).

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I'm just old fashioned, a "late adopter" really.
    10 year old carbon frame and forks would have me wondering if the next jar from a joint in the road surface would have me eating tarmac.
    I have a bike with almost identical gear/brake parts. Its 6 years old, an alloy frame and carbon forks. I find myself looking at the forks while riding and wondering "will they break today?" Paid 300 euro for it.

Thats sad lol

The problem is the age, technology moves on. A newish aluminium frame can outperform an old carbon one.

Well newish aluminium frames can outperform newish carbon frames so i dont think that age is a problem.

sin_26 wrote: »
    Thats sad lol

If I can't weld, Tig, Mig or braze it, I don't trust it... :D

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If I can't weld, Tig, Mig or braze it, I don't trust it... :D

I dont want to know what you feel once flying ;).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What price would you consider this to be a bargain?
    Recently services
    Frame: Focus Cayo Carbon 2007
    Fork: Carbon racing fork
    Headset: FSA integrated
    Stem: FSA OS190 12cm
    Bars: Deda Piega 44cm
    Brakes: Shimano BR-R560
    Shifters: Shimano Ultegra 6600
    Front derailleur: Shimano 105 5600
    Rear derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 6600
    Cassette sprockets: Shimano Ultegra 12-27
    Chain: Shimano Ultegra
    Cranks: Shimano FC-R600, 34/50, 110bcd, 175mm
    BB: Shimano
    Wheels: Mavic Aksium Race
    Tyres: Continental Gatorskin 23mm
    Saddle: Specialized Rival 143
    Seatpost: Concept 27.2mm

Pics http://failiem.lv/u/7kdm9bee#

Thank you!
    that's the worst poem i've read in a long while.

sin_26 wrote: »
    You propably hasnt got a chance to experience Ultegra 6600 and DA in real life otherwise you wouldnt even place Tiagra and Ultegra 6600 in the same sentence :).

I have a bike with Ultegra 6800 and have used Tiagra 4700.
    How does Ultegra 6600 compare to 6800?

I have a bike with Ultegra 6800 and have used Tiagra 4700.
    How does Ultegra 6600 compare to 6800?

6600 is very nice, much nicer than 6700. When they went to hidden shifter cables, the shifting action became much stiffer/harder especially small to big ring, it didn't really effect the rear shifting though.

I'd take 5600/6600 over 5700/6700 all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

6600 is lovely alright. Still run a classic alu with pristine 6600 onboard and it's a very smooth ride.

fat bloke wrote: »
    It's actually a very nice looking bike. Are you buying it or selling it?

Someone is selling it, but for 600. Im actually looking for a hybrid (trek 7.5 fx or similar), but cant find anything decent , so was toying with the idea of converting this to hybrid, with mudguards etc. Seller would do the conversion for me, with some parts swapped for equivalent level parts. But looks like 600 would be too much.

• Advertisement

Someone is selling it, but for 600. Im actually looking for a hybrid (trek 7.5 fx or similar), but cant find anything decent , so was toying with the idea of converting this to hybrid, with mudguards etc. Seller would do the conversion for me, with some parts swapped for equivalent level parts. But looks like 600 would be too much.

How about something like this >>> http://www.adverts.ie/hybrid-bikes/felt-hybrid-trekking-bike-58cm/5355961

Very nice spec on it if a tad pricey but you could make a reasonable offer if the size suited you. 58cm would be suitable for someone in the region of 6ft and above.

its too expensive, id be really pushing 600 if it was a bargain, and for that money id want all carbon. I dont know if its better than aluminium, but i like the sound of it.
    Also it has front sus which i dont need. And fatter tyres (id like 32 max). And grips i dont like. Im willing to spend 300-400 for a good 7.5 fx with 57cm frame.

Advertisement