Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back on dry land

• 25-10-2016 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Well, I took the Microplus out of the water today. It was perfect weather for it, very calm, dry and mild and happily, everything went according to plan. Now that she's back home, I can tidy her up and give the engine a going over, before putting her under wraps.

I didn't get a whole lot of use out of her this season, but that's ok. I enjoyed the refurb and hopefully she'll go to a good home eventually. My next foray onto the water will be with the Wellcraft, all going well and now that I'm almost finished sorting the kitchen, I can get back to working on it. And the punt will be taken in and freshened up, with the rowlocks being sorted in the process!

Anyway, that's all the news for now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Just an update. While waiting on paint to dry in the kitchen, I decided to start clearing out the boat. As mentioned in a previous post, she had taken on some water after some very heavy and prolonged rain down here in Kerry. The float switch had stuck in the on position and drained the battery. Anyway, it's surprising how many places the water got into, resulting in a lot of damp/condensation etc. in places not directly affected.

So, I've learned a lesson or two. In the Wellcraft, the bilge is very low and deep and would hold a lot of water before doing any real damage, but even so, bilge pumps and switches will be meticulously maintained. And the boat will be properly ventilated at all times. I found the Microplus to be almost hermetically sealed when locked up, which doesn't help matters.

The Wellcraft will have two roof vents fitted, one in the toilet! I'm also considering fitting some vents in the bottom of the door to the cabin. Do any other owners have any issues with damp/condensation etc. Any advice?

I know you can get silica gel in bags which help to absorb moisture, any other thoughts?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Look for an old glasshouse or tunnel to keep her in over the winter or cover her in a clear plastic tent. All boats suffer with condensation :( so most have dehumidifierfs lots of ventalation will help.

Advertisement