Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long distance coach

Options
  • 25-10-2016 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking for some guidance and input from your good selves regarding a long distance coach. I am going long for the first time next year (July) and while I will not be at the sharp end of the race I do want to put my best foot forward!
    My aim is to be in or around 10hrs 30min - 11hr depending on the million and one variations that influence race times!!!!
    I have been racing short distance for two years, did my first half this year (Dublin, a touch over 5hrs) and I am in a club all this time.
    I have a fair idea of how to train and am looking for a light touch coach who will give me a plan to do for a specified time (week/month), listen to how i found it and alter the next training block as required.
    I am a brutal swimmer, can cycle all day and while my run is ok, my run volume will need to be managed due to past injuries and personal knowledge of how my body ticks!!
    Many thanks for any suggestions you may have,
    9Crimes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Pick a coach with pedigree. Not the cheapest one.
    Pedigree does not mean that they have done an IM.
    Or that they have batches from TI (BTA L3 or other Euro equivalent), the TI badges aren't worth a ****.

Someone who has a track record of coaching and getting results.

Then think personality, one man's d1ckhead is another man's best friend.

Of the coaches I know of my top two picks would be
    * Rich Brady (former Bermudian Elite coach, former Welsh High performance coach, and former coach of 3x XTerra world champ Flora Duffy)
    * Peter Kerns (German Tri accredited, has a history of results as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

9Crimes wrote: »
    I am a brutal swimmer

What do you mean by this- brutal compared to Michael Phelps, or brutal that you are breathless after a length of the pool?

Depending on your answer, you might consider a hands-on swim coach as a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭9Crimes

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    What do you mean by this- brutal compared to Michael Phelps, or brutal that you are breathless after a length of the pool?

Depending on your answer, you might consider a hands-on swim coach as a priority.

Brutal as in 2minute+ 100's, have a club swim coach, so will keep swimming with them

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

have a chat with Jackyback

• Registered Users Posts: 47 RossyR

I went with Connect To Perform a couple of years back and found them really good.
    They have a good team...
    If you google them they have a website.
    Midlands based...
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Thank for the suggestions everyone, expect a new training log on boards in the new year telling how the sessions suggested by my super duper new coach are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Thank for the suggestions everyone, expect a new training log on boards in the new year telling how the sessions suggested by my super duper new coach are going.

Who did you go with?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Who did you go with?

Am only at the point of researching at the moment, I want a plan to kick in 1st Jan. Until then I will keep myself ticking over with club sessions and continue to research a coach.

Thanks to everyone for recommendations above, there is some definite maybes mentioned that I hadn't heard of before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Am only at the point of researching at the moment, I want a plan to kick in 1st Jan. Until then I will keep myself ticking over with club sessions and continue to research a coach.

Thanks to everyone for recommendations above, there is some definite maybes mentioned that I hadn't heard of before.

Thats a bit late really. About 3 months too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

tunney wrote: »

I'd argue it's never too late and far better to take your time researching your options rather than making a rushed decision.

To the OP, I hope any research you do is far more substantive than a post on boards. And to be honest, just because you're going long doesn't mean you automatically need a coach.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »

I don't think so, as I said I am keeping things ticking over and my plan is to get ironman specific from new year. I won't be starting from scratch in January. I will have 'winter miles' in me.

zico10 wrote: »
    I'd argue it's never too late and far better to take your time researching your options rather than making a rushed decision.

To the OP, I hope any research you do is far more substantive than a post on boards. And to be honest, just because you're going long doesn't mean you automatically need a coach.

Don't worry, I have cast the net wide looking for info! If anything I will end up overanalysing this! I know technically I don't need a coach but this may be my one and only ironman and I don't feel like I have enough knowledge on my own to train and put my best performance in on the day

Advertisement