Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to winter fishing

Options
  • 25-10-2016 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey everyone .always fish for mackeral every summer and want to start to some winter fishing have ordered new rod and reel so just need some help best hooks or lures and bait to use for what fish.hoping to catch some bass or codling but anything would be good .I'm in kinsale area so close to places to fish
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

What kind of rod and reel did you order? Is it beach gear or lure?
    The summer fishing around kinsale can be as good as anywhere, the winter fishing is very hit and miss tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rhys4768

I've ordered 12 ft beachcaster don't know what reel exactly. Have around a 6 ft rod aswell but reel is dodgy so could always put new real on that aswell .ya it's good in summer looking to try garretstowm beach or out the wall in monkstown or if you could suggest anywhere just trying to gather some more info on what's good to fish and what to use and everything
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Garrylucas is always worth a shot if there's a surf running, if its flat calm in winter in wouldn't get out of the car tho. The place can be full of rockling(otherwise called slugs) if your catching them there's probably not much esle about. You'll get codling, usually small tho, whiting, coalies and the odd bass. Can be full of dogs too some nights.
    Red strand is another worth a shot. Broadstrand can be very good if its after a big blow and the other spots are full of weed. Its very sheltered and can throw up the odd thornback ray as well as what on garrylucas.
    If your after cod I wouldn't bother with monkstown, its not easy fishing and very hit and miss. Head the extra few miles to east cork. Bigger codling about as well as good numbers of coalies and flats and whiting. Always a chance of a ray too over the winter upto 10/11lbs, lots around in the 5/6/7lbs mark tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Your going to need a reel above 7000 anyway for casting and also if you want to fish heavier for tope or conger so spending the extra on a reel is a good investment. Let me know if your in the market I have a few im not using.

Youghal if you can get to it. Good codling fishing from now on. Speak to a few locals they will set you right on marks etc.

Fresh crab is your only bait - Lug can work but fresh peeler will work. if you have never used peeler crabs then look up on youtube how to skin and bait them. I still hate doing it but the results outway the gross :D

Also check out 'below the waters edge' on youtube and also TAF or totally awesome fishing. 2 very good shows that go in depth into cod, bass and flatfish beach fishing. The taf series on beach videos is quite impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rhys4768

Thanks for advice really have to try go this week and try my luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

Don't neglect Fountainstown, never fished there myself but seemingly it can throw up Ray and Bass

Advertisement