Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Charger stretching my patience

• 25-10-2016 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭

So i fitted one of those USB charges over a year ago, worked fine up until start of summer. I assumed it just died so ordered another one and one as spare (cheap enough on Ebay)

Bike as a custom Relay installed so power is switched to Add ons when ignition is activated. Relay has x3 Outputs all fused.

I have it running Heated Grips, GPS tracker and this USB port. All were working fine, Grips and GPS still work fine.

So went to install replacement USB and LED would not power. There is over 12v running to it until the USB is added then the power goes down to just over 1.4V.

So decided to test it on the bench with a 12V supply to make sure the USB was ok.

Result- USB is working fine blue led and all.

On the Bench
    IMG_20161025_200102_zpsjzsufbmj.jpg

Then I went to check the polarity of connections to make sure my wiring was still accurate (bearing in mind this used to work fine) I still have red cable visible for positive black for ground.

Over 12V with Ignition on engine running.
    IMG_20161025_200643_zps0n1dim1i.jpg

And finally connect in USB to circuit, this was showing 12v across when on the bench, Now it goes right down to just over 1.4V.
    IMG_20161025_200911_zpsuquydpvf.jpg

The only other things on the Relay is the GPS which is working, and heated Grips which are (oxford ones that have a control unit) but they also work fine. Its just the USB when connected is the only thing that doesn't work.

Anyone have any ideas ?? Not sure where to go next with this troubleshoot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Take the positive feed to your grips and connect to USB unit and see does the problem go away. Ditto the positive from your USB and connect to your grip circuit.
    If problem persists, you've a dud USB unit. Weird, I know.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Take the positive feed to your grips and connect to USB unit and see does the problem go away. Ditto the positive from your USB and connect to your grip circuit.
    If problem persists, you've a dud USB unit. Weird, I know.

Actually, I'd run a clean earth even if only for test. You might have a weirdness of one of the devices pulling an earth through the other. I've had this on a starter circuit , which has a load shedding relay on a BeeEmm years ago. It would pull an earth from the fuel pump when you hit the starter button resulting in the pump stopping and no fire. Yet all components worked in isolation on the bench.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I shall give that a go Cheers

do post back...bloody intrigued now......

Ode To The Motorist

Pulled apart the rear side wing and pulled everything from the relay off. rechecked each point. Bad ground on the USB line. All working perfect now. Cheers guys. Put on the new tyres thus evening too battlax. Happy days.

Bloody bad ground I should have known but sometimes you are so close to the coal face :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

listermint wrote: »
    Pulled apart the rear side wing and pulled everything from the relay off. rechecked each point. Bad ground on the USB line. All working perfect now. Cheers guys. Put on the new tyres thus evening too battlax. Happy days.

Bloody bad ground I should have known but sometimes you are so close to the coal face :)

Nothing worse than spending hours fault finding and getting nowhere then someone walks in and solves it straight away, but it's great to be the person walking in. It's even worse when they do exactly as you've done.

Ha - excellent result. Glad to know I'm retaining at least some useful info from years past !

Funny how such an innocuous thing like yours not only causes a 'confusing' and seemingly complex fault, but more how we (and I include myself here) always rush to over-think things. The reality is that most faults are simple. It's not coding errors in ECU's or such. It's usually an earth, a broken cable, in bikes corrosion is a huge issue on connectors (ask any Duc owners !)

And there is nothing like a pair of fresh eyes. They can even be your own - put down the tools, have dinner, go to the pub/cinema - walk in in the morning and don't pick up where you left off. Start again. Fixing electrics is more often an exercise in methodology and simple principles than trying to understand things at a higher level. The fault is usually (but not always), outside the 'black box' you suspect, and is often something so mundane you kick yourself after for not thinking of it sooner.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ha - excellent result. Glad to know I'm retaining at least some useful info from years past !

Funny how such an innocuous thing like yours not only causes a 'confusing' and seemingly complex fault, but more how we (and I include myself here) always rush to over-think things. The reality is that most faults are simple. It's not coding errors in ECU's or such. It's usually an earth, a broken cable, in bikes corrosion is a huge issue on connectors (ask any Duc owners !)

And there is nothing like a pair of fresh eyes. They can even be your own - put down the tools, have dinner, go to the pub/cinema - walk in in the morning and don't pick up where you left off. Start again. Fixing electrics is more often an exercise in methodology and simple principles than trying to understand things at a higher level. The fault is usually (but not always), outside the 'black box' you suspect, and is often something so mundane you kick yourself after for not thinking of it sooner.

You would think i know this being an Electronic Engineer :o

I put it down to long day dark nights... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I know nothing about bikes but a lot about tech, those chargers are known for slowly breaking your phone you can buy a USB voltage tester for around a Euro on eBay to make sure the charger is giving out 4.8-5.2v anything worse than that will destroy your phone over time

GarIT wrote: »
    I know nothing about bikes but a lot about tech, those chargers are known for slowly breaking your phone you can buy a USB voltage tester for around a Euro on eBay to make sure the charger is giving out 4.8-5.2v anything worse than that will destroy your phone over time

...indeed. But if the Chinese-made USB device is prone to error, and as on a recent thread here, the Chinese-made voltage checker is equally prone to error.....

Case in point: some years ago I bought a (Chinese, I assume) CAT5 cable checker. After a particular job there were issues with connectivity, and the patch cables were suspected. Pinning them out was laborious, so a proper cable checker which you just plug into seemed the answer. A no of cables showed up as faulty so I cut off the RJ45 and re-terminated them again. And again. Still faulty. Something wrong here methinks...........picked a bona fide working, perfect cable, put it in the tester and..............it showed up faulty. The bloody tester caused more problems than it solved. Same with some DMM's I see, so over time I intend to get a couple of proper quality items, e.g. Fluke or similar. I might even get myself an old analogue meter as they are useful for patterns which a digital display struggles (e.g. voltage surging or similar).

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

You would think i know this being an Electronic Engineer :o

...... lol

lol is right.

What is that they say: a builders' house is never finished, the mechanic's car is always a banger, etc etc.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement