Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hazelbrook Square, Churchtown

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Hazelbrook is Upper Kilmacud, Stillorgan- always has been, always will be. I don't get how anyone would confuse it with being in Churchtown?

I'm on mobile so can't see if you're taking the p155 or not. It's clearly either Churchtown or Rathfarnham. I'd nearly consider it an area into its own if Nutgrove. Its miles from either of kilmacud or stillorgan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

There is a apartment complex called Hazelbrook on the Kilmacud Road Upper. The development being discussed here is Hazelbrook Square, which is in Churchtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

That's a different Hazelbrook than the one being discussed here
    Hazelbrook is Upper Kilmacud, Stillorgan- always has been, always will be. I don't get how anyone would confuse it with being in Churchtown?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Hylus83

It is not upper kilmacud nor Stillorgan! That's the best over-embellishment of a postal address I ever heard. It's nutgrove, bordering churchtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hans solo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    oh man, I wish someone put up a big sign going into hazelbrook, raising awareness to what your nice half a million plus house (for the cheaper ones) will be across the road from a council apartment block! and possibly modular housing! I wonder how many considering buying there, are aware of that?! :eek:

Hear hear!

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    oh man, I wish someone put up a big sign going into hazelbrook, raising awareness to what your nice half a million plus house (for the cheaper ones) will be across the road from a council apartment block! and possibly modular housing! I wonder how many considering buying there, are aware of that?! :eek:

To be fair, anyone that doesn't do their homework on the biggest investment of their lives, well they're just silly now, aren't they! Sherry Fitz didnt disclose anything as all auctioneers have a don't ask, don't tell policy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hans solo

Hylus83 wrote: »
    To be fair, anyone that doesn't do their homework on the biggest investment of their lives, well they're just silly now, aren't they! Sherry Fitz didnt disclose anything as all auctioneers have a don't ask, don't tell policy!

You obviously did your homework. Where have you decided to buy instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

july2016 wrote: »
    Hi Hans,

Irish Times article suggest the apartment block is in addition to original allocation

Mr Devlin said the apartments were in addition to any other contributions the initial developer made to the council in terms of social housing.

I think you misunderstand the difference between allocation and contribution; as far as I'm aware the previous allocation provided to DLRCC has been repurchased by NAMA with the intention of providing further private housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It is not upper kilmacud nor Stillorgan! That's the best over-embellishment of a postal address I ever heard. It's nutgrove, bordering churchtown.
    give me churchtown over kilmacud or stillorgan any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 july2016

Earleybird wrote: »
    I think you misunderstand the difference between allocation and contribution; as far as I'm aware the previous allocation provided to DLRCC has been repurchased by NAMA with the intention of providing further private housing.

Hi Earleybird, thanks for clarifying, so it was a swap DLR get 28 apartments in the near future and Nama get the DLR site to build what say 18 to 20 houses at the increased price levels. The social applicants are getting a very nice apartment if similar to show houses quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Eibbor ????

Seriously, nice houses but extremly expensive, and if ye have to que up to buy one overnight,sod that

Prices in from Sherry Fitz for 3 beds:
    East facing mid 485k
    West facing mid 500k
    East facing end terrace 620k
    West facing end terrace tbc

That's not a typo folks. West facing could be a million depending on the number they draw out of the hat!!

Think it's probably a strategy to get around the first come first serve and instead invite offers under the amount. Very sly, but I suppose that's the game.

The west facing 3-bed end of terrace isn't available for sale. If it was it would be €650k apparently, but it's being held by Nama (or more likely for someone in Nama / the builders who want it for themselves or something).

So that means the €620k east facing 3-bed end of terrace has had a pretty steep (or rather ridiculous) increase from phase 1. I recall being told at the time that the 3-bed end of tce houses were going for €515k / €525k. That being said, the person in Sherry Fitz who told me that, could have been wrong. Every time my partner or I have spoken to sherry fitz about Hazelbrook we both get told something different!

Good luck to those queuing for these houses though... we contemplated it but no way would I camp out 2 - 3 days for one!

The west facing 3-bed end of terrace isn't available for sale. If it was it would be €650k apparently, but it's being held by Nama (or more likely for someone in Nama / the builders who want it for themselves or something).

So that means the €620k east facing 3-bed end of terrace has had a pretty steep (or rather ridiculous) increase from phase 1. I recall being told at the time that the 3-bed end of tce houses were going for €515k / €525k.

You're correct, it sounds like NAMA have been up to their old tricks. The end of terraces went for 505k and 515k in phase 1; with this in mind I suppose anyone queuing thought they might get one for 550-560. At no point was anyone informed that either of the 2 would not be made available but yesterday we were told that NAMA (and Mazars) had accepted an offer of €650k. Perhaps scared that they'd broken or bent the rules they possibly decided to value the other 3 bed end terrace ridiculously to justify the price tag. I hope NAMA have some answers as to why they feel they can change the rules for the right price, pretty sure they have a template for such a response...

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

I don't feel as bad as I did now having stayed out overnight for our place now, sounds like a big crowd, hope its gets a bit warmer tomorow for you

How exactly is the queuing system working in there? Are sherry fitz keeping track of who's in what position in the queue or is it gonna be a fight for a place with your potential new neighbours when they open up on Saturday :'-)
    I wondered the same thing! its not as if the people in line overnight get a ticket or something! what would stop someone rocking up on Saturday morn and walking straight up to the top of the Q/show home door before opening! (Apart from Social etiquette and it being really bad form of course :)) Probably not a great way to endear yourself to the neighbours mind you but you wouldn't be breaking any laws!!!

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    I wondered the same thing! its not as if the people in line overnight get a ticket or something! what would stop someone rocking up on Saturday morn and walking straight up to the top of the Q/show home door before opening! (Apart from Social etiquette and it being really bad form of course :)) Probably not a great way to endear yourself to the neighbours mind you but you wouldn't be breaking any laws!!!

When we were in line for our development there was a sign in list when we arrived and people were called in the order of the list once they got inside.

Saying that we were number 1 in line and 2 of the houses were sold to people before opening and I was seriously pissed off as they were our 1st and 2nd choice.

You're correct, it sounds like NAMA have been up to their old tricks. The end of terraces went for 505k and 515k in phase 1; with this in mind I suppose anyone queuing thought they might get one for 550-560. At no point was anyone informed that either of the 2 would not be made available but yesterday we were told that NAMA (and Mazars) had accepted an offer of €650k. Perhaps scared that they'd broken or bent the rules they possibly decided to value the other 3 bed end terrace ridiculously to justify the price tag. I hope NAMA have some answers as to why they feel they can change the rules for the right price, pretty sure they have a template for such a response...

So much for their first come, first served policy! I hope there's no one in that queue expecting to get that end of terrace.... imagine the frustration finding out that house is gone, despite being first in line, after queuing for 3 days!!

So much for their first come, first served policy! I hope there's no one in that queue expecting to get that end of terrace.... imagine the frustration finding out that house is gone, despite being first in line, after queuing for 3 days!!

I don't have to imagine 😟

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

NAMA don't do sweetheart deals, as the multiple investigations in the Dáil are finding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 july2016

I thought I had misread but the 3 bed end of terrace €620,000 is a huge increase from May price €495,000-€515,000. Some houses are extended which may count for some of the increase but looks like the prices are being set based on demand and what Nama can achieve rather than consistency. Good luck to all those queuing.

july2016 wrote: »
    Good luck to all those queuing.

A friend who lives there told me that the queue had disappeared this morning. So, Sherry Fitz must have gone up to take their names and will probably deal with them first on Saturday during the pre-launch viewings. I know sherry fitz were up there yesterday, so that would explain the queue disappearance today.

Fair play to those who queued. Hopefully Sherry fitz put up some sort of a sign or something so that anyone else who decides to queue today/tonight, aren't doing so in vain.

• Advertisement

A friend who lives there told me that the queue had disappeared this morning. So, Sherry Fitz must have gone up to take their names and will probably deal with them first on Saturday during the pre-launch viewings. I know sherry fitz were up there yesterday, so that would explain the queue disappearance today.

Fair play to those who queued. Hopefully Sherry fitz put up some sort of a sign or something so that anyone else who decides to queue today/tonight, aren't doing so in vain.

Good luck to them. We were told by DNG we could go home and we would be the first served but then we rang to confirm and got told no we had to stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

The houses go from 485 up to 675 in this estate. Massive hike since they first came out.
    Nice looking but do people really pay half a million for a three bed???

And developers say they make no money

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

allibastor wrote: »
    The houses go from 485 up to 675 in this estate. Massive hike since they first came out.
    Nice looking but do people really pay half a million for a three bed???

And developers say they make no money

Its all to do with supply and demand.
    These are relatively attractive properties- in a good location- where there is damn all supply.
    Price is a function of this demand- they can sell them at between 485 and 675k- because there is demand for them at these prices.

If supply side issues were not as acute as they are- obviously, they'd settle at a more obvious level (however, cognisance of location- means there will always be a demand for the area in general- irrespective of the price).

Developers can and do make profits- however, not at the inflated levels they were able to command during the period of madness. They may not be able to turn a profit on a 3 or 4 bed detached or semi-d in a Dublin area- at 200-250k- however, if the sale price is ramped up- of course its profitable.

The other side of the equation- is our traditional lenders do not want to provide cashflow to developers- pretty much at any price. Its easier for a random stranger walking in off the street to get an unsecured car loan- than it is for a developer to get funding- AIB and BOI are quoting rates ranging between 15 and 20% to developers. This factor alone- is quoted by the CIF as the stranglehold on developments (obviously it couldn't possibly be the single factor- however, its the one that is being held up as 'the' issue).

Are these properties worth 500k+?
    As the famous Syrian/Roman writer Publilius Syrus from so long ago put it- 'Everything is worth what its purchaser is willing to pay for it'. Obviously there is demand for the units at their current prices- therefore, the prospective purchasers have set the asking price for the units- and so they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Anyone know if these all sold at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 p1605

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Anyone know if these all sold at the weekend?

All sold except one 4 bed end of terrace

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Nutrove isn't an area, it's a shopping centre. HB is on the border of both Rathfarnham and Churchtown. It used to be Rathfarnham and was rezoned to Churchtown in the early 00's.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 voxbot

Wondering if anyone on this thread ended up buying in this development and how they got on after going sale agreed with snag list and finishes and any positives/negatives with the area? Considering one of the 4 bed terraced at the moment! Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

voxbot wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone on this thread ended up buying in this development and how they got on after going sale agreed with snag list and finishes and any positives/negatives with the area? Considering one of the 4 bed terraced at the moment! Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Was all fairly painless. Got keys about 4 weeks after they told us we would, but that was in the first phase so I'm assuming they are a bit better now. Snag list was grand, very few problems. Mainly scuffed paint and holes needed filling, which they completed no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 voxbot

Was all fairly painless. Got keys about 4 weeks after they told us we would, but that was in the first phase so I'm assuming they are a bit better now. Snag list was grand, very few problems. Mainly scuffed paint and holes needed filling, which they completed no problem.

Thanks! That's good to know! So how long roughly did it take to get keys after placing deposit/signing contract?

Did a drive by there this evening and spotted that the playground is coming along. Very tempted by the fact that these houses are so low maintenance. We've been looking for a house for three years and not sure we can face a doer upper at this stage!

• Advertisement
Advertisement