Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling for exercise. Heavy build - what type of bike.

Options
  • 26-10-2016 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to buy a bike to take to the road to lose some weight.
    I'm very heavy, about 17.5 stone and 5'11''
    I had a mountain bike and it was abit of struggle on the road. Friend on road bike seemed to be effortless while I was cycling at my best.
    Looking at some of the road bikes in the shops, I imagine I'm too heavy for them as they look very delicate.
    What type of bike should I be looking at. I'd be only looking to cycle for 30 mins at first going to maybe an hour or so later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say time of the year weatherwise if your sole aim is weight loss maybe look at an exercise bike instead as you will have constant acess to it, €250-€300 should get you a decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Had one. The boredom is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do you have a bike already?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

An aluminium frame road bike with good wheels with 32 spokes will see you right. I started in January a road bike at a similar weight if even a little heavier and my Thompson R7200 didn't fold under my weight.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

When I bought my first roadbike I was well over 17 and a half stone. I'm quite a but lighter now and that bike is still fine. You may go aluminum over carbon but will not have an issue with a roadbike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

I'm 110Kg and use a touring bike for commuting, find it great.
    Used daily for a year now and no punctures or mechanical problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm 16 stone and don't have any trouble with road bikes. Alu Frame,carbon forks and stock wheels. I was a bit heavy when I started cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I'm 109kg, using a Cannondale CAAD 8.

I'll be honest here and say that I was lighter when I got the bike! I bought the bike to maintain fitness and I was getting bored with the gym. Problem for me was in not going to the gym, I let my eating habits go to ruin and the Sunday morning coffee runs do nothing to help either!

Top tip for boredom on an exercise bike: Netflix. Last winter I got through loads of TV shows while using cardio equipment in the gym (bikes and elliptical cross trainers). It takes your mind of the tedium and stops you staring at the nice bums of the ladies on the treadmills!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'd say get a cyclocross bike (basically a road bike that can take wider tyres) and install 32-35mm road tyres (i.e. Continental GP4000 in 28mm = 31mm or Schwalbe Kojaks 35mm) for balance between comfort, speed and being pinch-flat proof.

You will still have space for mudguards, which would be difficult if you ran i.e. 28mm tyres on a "pure" road bike (I would not recommend going down to 25mm considering the weight)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The fact that you're panting and your friend is sailing along may also be due to cycling style. Try to keep in a gear a little lower than you feel is right, and keep your legs gently going around, rather than puffing and pushing in a high gear.
    You may also be riding a bike that's the wrong size; this can make a big difference in your efficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I am 16.5 stone, no issues whatsoever with my Giant Defy, my mate is about 20st and has a a Cube Road Bike been all over Wicklow on it, no bother whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

mickdw wrote: »
    I had a mountain bike and it was abit of struggle on the road. Friend on road bike seemed to be effortless while I was cycling at my best.

As annoying as it seems this is the affect you're looking for if you're looking to lose weight. The harder you work the more you'll shed.

If I were you I'd probably stick with your current bike and upgrade as and when the weight falls off.

Loads of options out there and plenty of lads 17st+ riding around on fancy carbon frames.

Bring your mate out onto a few fire roads and see who's struggling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

There is no need to worry about any decent frame - they may look flimsy but any half decent alu or carbon frame will be more than strong enough. On the other hand as a heavier rider it would be worth investing in a decent pair of wheels that are rated for heavier riders. It's definitely true that heavier riders are more likely to pop spokes and knock a wheel out of true. So I think that if you have any extra budget spend it on upgrading the stock wheels to something decent.

Tldr: buy a cheap road bike and upgrade the wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Hi. I was 18 stone plus when i got my first bike. A giant defy 3 with stock wheels and had no problem aside of a few spokes getting loose. Got a trek madone 4.5 carbon a few monts later and no problem either. Am on a canyon endurace carbon atm and still no problems. Im about 16 stone now but was 17.5 when i got the canyon. Also i had a hybrid for a few years before and found it hard going and the bike was not used much. Once i got the road bike i put up the miles as found it easier and enjoyable. But what takes your fancy imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I find cycling alone isn't enough to lose weight. Resonable food intake is my downfall. Do both properly and you're onto a winner.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I find cycling alone isn't enough to lose weight. Resonable food intake is my downfall. Do both properly and you're onto a winner.

Have to agree with this. I could never cycle enough to compensate for what I was eating.

Slick tyres on a MTB will make a huge difference on the road. But it will never be as quick as a road bike. But then is speed really an issue. Its simply a workout while moving..

Mickdw, the main thing is that you should enjoy your cycle. Have you tried out a few different bikes (not the ride around the bike shop yard, but taking them out for a 15-minute run around the neighbourhood?
    Part of it may be sheer lack of practice. I'm cycling a 20kg elephant of a bike, with the constant about-to-be intention of getting a decent light nippy bike, but find that the more I cycle, the lighter the bike gets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Looking at some of the road bikes in the shops, I imagine I'm too heavy for them as they look very delicate.
    What type of bike should I be looking at. I'd be only looking to cycle for 30 mins at first going to maybe an hour or so later.

Had this mentality myself, got a Cube Peleton Roadbike in January when i was over 18 stone, no problems!! so i dont think you'll have an issue.

Thankfully after copping on regarding food with the motivation of my wedding in August I am now down to 15.5 st :)

Getting out on the bike even at a slow pace is so enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hungrycol wrote: »

Cycling doesn't burn the calories as well as running or swimming. A lot of cyclists eat while on the bike as well and maybe stop for a coffee or something. So it is harder to lose weight.

But any bit of exercise is good and if the bike helps you to get into better habits re eating you will be in a good position.

Plenty of cheap decent aluminium bikes out there for under €500. The good thing about the cheaper aluminium bikes is that the wheels are heavier with more spokes and thus can take more abuse. Put 25mm tyres on and it will help with the comfort though you might have issues getting mudguards to fit.

• Advertisement

Can you use the Bike-to-Work scheme? You can get a bike worth up to €1k on that every five years…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

As the majority of posters have already said, you're most likely not too heavy for any bike. If you've got the money (or BTW scheme) available then get a road bike, or a cyclocross would be excellent (Cyclocross would also make a great commuter). Don't be afraid to consider a decent hybrid either - a lot of them in the €500-800 price range are more-or-less entry level road bikes without the dropdown handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

I found the opposite I was a runner for years and picked up the cycling due to injury and dropped half a stone after a few months . Always remained the same weight when running even training for marathons .

Thanks for all the replies.
    Bike to work not available as self employed.
    The old mountain bike I had is no more so no bike currently.
    I wouldnt be spending big money. I see pretty slick looking road bikes in halfords for €280 - carrera branded.
    Are these likely to be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I wouldnt be spending big money. I see pretty slick looking road bikes in halfords for €280 - carrera branded.

I have a Carrera tdf and it would be perfect for you. They are considered rock solid for the price they are sold at. They were recently down to €280 which is an incredible price.

They do change spec every couple of years. The early ones that came out around 2012 were poorly geared whereas the newer versions have a compact 50/34 chainset. The wheels also had 32 spokes (I think), more than the lighter wheels but capable of taking weight and hits on the road.

I think the newer spec now has carbon forks. How much of a difference this makes to comfort I don't know. The newer spec also has the shifters on the brake levers. Before there was a notch on the hoods to go down a gear.

Do check out the spec and the reviews online for the latest version.

Down the road you could get a better bike and use the Carrera as a winter/commuter/turbo bike or even use it for touring as it has eyelets for pannier racks.

Excellent. I did wonder about those bikes as the price seems good. Must go and have a proper look and work out size etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

I started at 110 kg and my carbon road bike planet X rt , had a specific rider limit of 100 kg.
    I never had an issue , not even a buckled wheel after 15000 to 20000 km , but I did get down to 100 kg
    Because you're not on tax break I'd say buy secondhand instead of a cheap brand.
    If your near cyclesuperstore, keep dropping in and look at what's available secondhand, they've expanded the used section and you get to ride around the yard on all sorts.

However if you want to buy new go to decathlon Belfast and buy a triban for about € 300 sterling , they're almost the equal of a € 1200 branded bike, my son got one, a great yoke and he sold it on for profit after 18 months.

And if you do get going remember the fat might turn into muscle so the weight won't fall off but your belly might stop drooping !

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-road-bike-black-id_8331913.html

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

A hybrid may suit you better depending on your planned journeys or just in general, as would be a better balance of speed, comfort, posture and braking and can take mudguards and racks. Wider tyres >30mm suit the larger rider and give more comfort.

This site is biased towards road/racing bikes but these are more delicate with skinny wheels, more suited to serious cyclists and the open road.

Try to include your cycle in your regular transport needs. Cycle a few days to work and you'd NEVER have to exercise - its for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭alexinkildare

Same here. 18+ stone when I got the LaPierre Audacio in june. almost 1300 kms done and 3 and a half stone lighter. With a bit of healthier eating but not starving myself.
    TBH you're not that heavy that you cant choose pretty much choose any type of bike for yourself so shop around and see what takes your fancy then ask questions. And the very best of luck with it. I totally enjoyed the bike and losing the weight.

• Advertisement

gk5000 wrote: »
    Try to include your cycle in your regular transport needs. Cycle a few days to work and you'd NEVER have to exercise - its for free.

Wouldn't be getting very fit cycling to work cause I work from home but obviously, you make sense.

Advertisement