Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy the Apple watch ?

Options
  • 26-10-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

On the fence as to treat myself to a Christmas present of the iwatch. Just curious as to present owners and their feeling on it. For those that have it, would your life be incomplete without it ? Or do any of you find that it was just an impulse purchase and now regret it perhaps ?

What do you use it for?

I know i'll probably end up biting the bullet anyway. Just looking for someone to blame in the event of it not getting much use!

Love the stainless with the milanese loop but they are mad money so will most likely go for the cheaper version. Bucket loads of them on adverts.ie providing a constant temptation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

TBH I've been thinking more and more about selling mine recently. The way I explain it to people is that I really like the convenience of some elements of it, but certainly if it broke or got lost I wouldn't go replacing it from scratch like I would say with a phone or headphones or anything.

I probably don't use all the functions to their best ability- I really just use it to replace the vibration of a notification in my pocket from my watch to a vibration of a notification on my wrist- I still take my phone out to answer everything! My main use is to control my music but in all honesty I barely ever use it for that anymore. It's just the idea that I can if I want to.

I'll be honest, I also finally got a really lovely watch that I got for my 30th birthday a few years ago fixed, and I want to wear it more. But because I paid so much for the apple watch I feel a little bit like I'm "wasting" it if I don't wear it every day...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There's a couple of threads around about the watch, giving opinions, thoughts etc. Here's the big one:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057644983

Personally, love mine, my OH loves hers. I would have liked the waterproof feature and GPS, and thought long and hard about changing up, but it makes no sense to take a hit after a couple of months, so I'll wait and maybe change next time. I find it great for reminders, setting alarms, replying to texts etc without having to take out the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I just took the plunge and bought one as a late birthday present to myself. I happen to be in Malaysia for work which is comparable (sometimes better) price wise for apple with the US. I thought long and hard about a series 2 but concluded since I never run and even if I did I'd bring a phone, the 2 wasn't worth the extra money. 1M water resistance is also perfectly fine for me. I know you're not meant to take them swimming, but for as much as I'd do a 1M for 15 mins at a time is fine.

Got myself a space grey series 1 and so far love it. I use: controlling music, the health app (being prodded to move/stand etc), all the notifications at a glace without finding my phone. Sure I'll find other stuff once I get home too.

For me it was worth the €280 I paid, but don't think I'd bother at the Irish price of the 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Just jumping on this thread as was looking to buy one. There isnt too much saving with the sterling rate, have they put up the prices? I thought they were cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I only ever used mine for notifications of texts, calls etc and the odd email while in the car,
    I broke mine about a week before the new one launched and Apple was quoting me 230 to get it fixed. I said to hell with that, I'd hold off for a while.
    The thing is I really really miss it, I'm constantly missing calls and not seeing texts for ages and its a pain having to constantly look at your phone. First world problems I know but its really when its gone that you realise how much you actually use it.
    My mate is over in NY and he just picked up one of the Nike+ ones but decided he doesn't want it so its mine :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO Apple haven't figured out how to make it really great yet.

The lack of a whatsapp watch app is a real killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

awec wrote: »
    IMO Apple haven't figured out how to make it really great yet.

The lack of a whatsapp watch app is a real killer.

Whatsapp is a 3rd party app, are you saying Apple don't have an app for this or their own version of whatsapp? That's what imessage is in reality.
    They just need to open it to Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why's what's app a killer? Really who would base a decision buying a watch based on a messaging app and ignore all the other features?

Blazer wrote: »
    Whatsapp is a 3rd party app, are you saying Apple don't have an app for this or their own version of whatsapp? That's what imessage is in reality.
    They just need to open it to Android.

I'm saying there is no whatsapp app for the watch from whatsapp itself. iMessage is poor in comparison and not a suitable replacement.

It's Probably the most used app on any platform but it's Watch functionality is non existent unfortunately. Can't reply from the watch and can't read unless you turn on message previews on the lock screen.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why's what's app a killer? Really who would base a decision buying a watch based on a messaging app and ignore all the other features?

Who would base their decision to purchase a phone accessory on the availability of the most popular messaging platform around? It's a pretty big deal...apps trump everything.

The watch is supposed to be set apart from other smart watches by its integration with the phones and it's ability to run apps. Right now that stuff is a little half baked.

If you're buying it for fitness features you're better off buying a Fitbit.

And for what it's worth I have a series 2 watch. I like it, don't regret buying it but it's not blowing me away, it has its flaws and it is easy to see why it hasn't been a huge success yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I can read and reply to whatsapp messages on my watch... what else does an app do for me? Allows me to write a new message (not reply to an existing one)?? Personally being able to read and reply is fine for me. Dont see it as an issue.

What does seriously annoy me is lack of proper Spotify integration with the watch. The android wear I had paired with the iphone worked better than the apple watch in this regard, which isn't good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

If you're looking to a forum to sway you on a purchasing decision, then deep down you really don't want it. Save your money for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

If you're looking to a forum to sway you on a purchasing decision, then deep down you really don't want it. Save your money for something else.
    not at all, I love all things apple. Just simply looking for user feedback. (Very grateful for what users have posted so far)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'd make a suggestion if I may. Get a good fitness watch that does notifications first to see if you like it. I was very anti smart watches and spending that much money on another device from apple (I already have Apple TV, MacBook, iPad Pro+Apple Pencil and iPhone). However....

I got the garmin vivosmart which does notifications for calls, texts, whatsapp (a little clumsily for set up but works fine), it's waterproof, controls music on the phone and does the fitness stuff I wanted too. Note I stayed away from the Fitbit because I wanted a fully readable screen, notifications and music-I had to go mad expensive for that on Fitbit. The garmin cost me under 100 pounds on amazon sale

I now can't manage without it. It needs to go back for a replacement and I honestly don't want to send it because if I do then I'll be without it for a week. Here I am a year later and now I'd consider the Apple Watch because I know I'd get use out of it considering how intrinsic my garmin has become

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I'd make a suggestion if I may. Get a good fitness watch that does notifications first to see if you like it. I was very anti smart watches and spending that much money on another device from apple (I already have Apple TV, MacBook, iPad Pro+Apple Pencil and iPhone). However....

I got the garmin vivosmart which does notifications for calls, texts, whatsapp (a little clumsily for set up but works fine), it's waterproof, controls music on the phone and does the fitness stuff I wanted too. Note I stayed away from the Fitbit because I wanted a fully readable screen, notifications and music-I had to go mad expensive for that on Fitbit. The garmin cost me under 100 pounds on amazon sale

I now can't manage without it. It needs to go back for a replacement and I honestly don't want to send it because if I do then I'll be without it for a week. Here I am a year later and now I'd consider the Apple Watch because I know I'd get use out of it considering how intrinsic my garmin has become

No interest in using it as a fitness aid. Cheers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

dodzy wrote: »
    No interest in using it as a fitness aid. Cheers though.

Funnily enough I went for it for the notifications not the fitness myself! I cannot have my phone with me at work and I forget to check it between classes. Back at school with a baby in the childminder I wanted to know when calls/texts come in so I know to check it. It's worked perfectly and now I think I might make the leap next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Funnily enough I went for it for the notifications not the fitness myself! I cannot have my phone with me at work and I forget to check it between classes. Back at school with a baby in the childminder I wanted to know when calls/texts come in so I know to check it. It's worked perfectly and now I think I might make the leap next year

I did exactly the same thing. Bought a vivosmart initially for the fitness stuff but find the notifications brilliant. I'm always missing calls as I nearly always have my phone in my pocket on vibrate only. The garmins vibration alert of incoming call is great and never miss a call now.

I've pretty much made up my
    Mind that I'm going to treat myself to an iwatch for Christmas as I know I'll get use out of it. now the next thing is to decided what size as I have quite thin wrists.

Advertisement