Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commuting from Cork City to carrigtohill

Options
  • 26-10-2016 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi guys, any of you do the above commute? I'm thinking doing it but the dunkettle roundabout is a bit mental!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

You could always leave a bit earlier and take a slight detour through Glanmire and get some hill work in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I suppose you could detour through Glenmire and past Erin's Own to Glounthane?
    Although going east, you shouldn't be too bad at the roundabout, you've only one exit/entrance to pass by on the roundabout, and one slip exiting off at tne next slip for the M8.

Coming east you've to stay 2 lanes out from the left for the M8 slip, which is always hairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wing3nut

Don't take that commute myself but my advice would be (assuming you're coming down the lower Glanmire rd) to head to Glanimre, take the first right over the bridge, up Glashaboy hill and down under the M8 onto the old Cork road. That will add ~ 2km plus a good hill onto the route for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

I'd suggest go through the dunkettle roundabout, and then take slip road for the tunnel, but carry through the roundabout and take the sliproad to the old main road (near the old Ibis/new Gaelscoil), then its a quite road all the way past glounthaune, to carrigtwohill.
    On reverse take this road and then go past the gaelscoil and turn left towards the tunnel. Traffic is usually built up there and you'll slip in between the cars. Take the third exit back onto main dual carriageway to Cork. Not much longer than staying on the dual carriageway all the way, but most definitely quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I've done little island to cork city, I go over the roundabout, as going over the flyover is just asking to be mowed down. Roundabout is easier when it is busy as nobody is going anywhere quick, so just assume the position of a car and you'll be fine, 2nd lane from the left as you approach the roundabout and you'll be ok, just stay to the middle of that lane otherwise someone going through the tunnel could turn into you if you stay to the left of the lane.

Can also go the old road and go into glanmire, the hill isn't so bad, but that is a bit of a rat run so people are flying down that road

• Advertisement
Advertisement