Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murrisk Abbey Hotel

Options
  • 26-10-2016 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Thomas Joyce build this back at the peak of the boom.

The hotel industry is booming now.

Any body hear of any movement on it?

It seems to be a fierce shame to see it lying there abandoned.

In case anybody is not sure what i am o about, here is the EIRCODE: F28 KH67

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

voz es wrote: »
    Thomas Joyce build this back at the peak of the boom.

The hotel industry is booming now.

Any body hear of any movement on it?

It seems to be a fierce shame to see it lying there abandoned.

In case anybody is not sure what i am o about, here is the EIRCODE: F28 KH67

From what I heard it was bought and they are working on it. Aside from that I don't know who or what work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It is a lovely scenic location.

Croagh Patrick pilgrimages used to be confined to Garland Friday / Reek Sunday weekend, but nowadays there are people on the Reek all year around. The carpark is seldom empty. While there are some good watering holes in the area already, there is a market for this hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I also heard it was purchased.

A lot of local businesses in mayo got stung by that place. I know of one business that took a €500k hit on it.

It was supposed to be purchased around 2 years ago but I was down there last month and nothing has been done as far as I can see.

Fantastic location and views

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Would be a great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I also heard it was purchased.

A lot of local businesses in mayo got stung by that place. I know of one business that took a €500k hit on it.

It was supposed to be purchased around 2 years ago but I was down there last month and nothing has been done as far as I can see.

Fantastic location and views

Indeed. And guess where Mr Joyce fled when the creditors came calling?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I think I know the story. In fairness I doubt he or anyone involved set out to see the project fail. It looked great on paper and if it was built 3 years earlier it would all look very different now.

It's easy to forget that every bank and political party was telling us everything was fine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Listen he hardly fled. Have some sensitivity. Your long enough on the forum to know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

He moved to Westport from outside Castlebar about 35 years. Afaik still in Westport. Saw him there recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

It will be nice to see it opened some day.

Advertisement