Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v City EFL Cup. 26/10/16 k/o 20.00SS1

• 26-10-2016 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

.........................9ecd053b17ce1b12e2144553dbde8ad8..........................

Possible teams:

man-utd-poss-xi_h6fuk4elw3za1lgb22cmd3fzs.png?t=-21277993

city-united-xi_c67l4lzzutsw1hls2c9cjbt3r.png?t=-51649609

United:

Chris Smalling is set to slide across to allow Daley Blind to move centrally. Elsewhere there could be another midweek run out for Matteo Darmian after he featured in the 4-1 Europa League win over Fenerbahce. Sergio Romero has also put up his hand for consideration but David de Gea could be retained.

The inclusions or otherwise of Paul Pogba and Zlatan Ibrahimovic will, as ever, be a talking point. Against any other opponent and in any other week, the key summer additions would probably not feature, yet circumstances are such that Mourinho may well start with both. Other changes could see recalls for the likes of Michael Carrick, Juan Mata and Anthony Martial.

Wayne Rooney and Henrikh Mkhitaryan could also be considered, but both could well be held back to start in Saturday's more low-key encounter with Sean Dyche's Burnley.

City:

Willy Caballero will replace Claudio Bravo in goal, while Kevin De Bruyne, Bacary Sagna and Pablo Zabaleta are all injured.

Guardiola played Aleix Garcia, a defensive midfielder, and Angelino, a right back, in the two attacking midfield roles in the previous round but has said he is reluctant to include his youngsters given City’s recent run of five matches without victory.David Silva, Fernandinho, John Stones and Sergio Aguero could all drop out of the lineup.

"Young players have to be involved in the team’s good moment, you cannot forget now the last five games we didn’t win," he said. "To help the young players, you have to be involved in a good environment, with people with experience. To put three, four, five young players in at the same time is not a good idea because we have to protect them. But maybe I don’t have any other options and I have to put them in."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is this the Busted Flush match or park the Bus match Part Deux.

Whichever it is the neutrals will enjoy seeing both managers feel the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A bad deafeat for jose and the heat will be cranked up on the special one.

Think he has to go for it tonight and play a strong side

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

First match thread not to have Miki in the starting 11 and most likely will be :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Must win for Jose , reckon 2-0 to City.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Barr wrote: »
    Must win for Jose , reckon 2-0 to City.

It's the league cup. It's not must win for either manager. While Utd lost to Chelsea, they won their previous game 4-1. City haven't won any of their last 5. Even with that, it's still not must win for either manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

utd need to win to ease the pressure on jose,i expect them to win ,martial to inspire,dont think jose can afford to sit back for this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

From m.e.n. United squad members

De Gea, Romero, Johnstone, Valencia, Darmian, Blind, Rojo, Shaw, Pogba, Carrick, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Fellaini, Mata, Young, Lingard, Memphis, Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic, Rashford

No Martial, Rooney, Smalling, TFM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Strangely important game in the coca cola cup, city to edge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Is this the Busted Flush match or park the Bus match Part Deux.

Whichever it is the neutrals will enjoy seeing both managers feel the pressure.
    Thought I saw it being tagged "The Crisis Derby" somewhere.
    :rolleyes:
    Much as it pains me to say it, I can see home advantage swinging it for Utd. Plus the fact that (at a guess) we won't have a full strength line-up out. If it was against anyone else, I wouldn't be too bothered about losing (saturday at The Hawthorns is more important), but losing to utd will hurt!
    :(

Hard to call. Utd after a bad beating and City in poor form.

Home advantage should get Utd over the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Have a feeling Utd will win this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Strangely important game in the coca cola cup, city to edge it.

Its not the coca cola cup anymore

s8n wrote: »
    Its not the coca cola cup anymore

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully United come out and play some some good football rather than trying to stifle the opposition and playing 6 at the back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Highlights on Channel 5 @ 2230 .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Whoever loses will say they didn't care anyway, it's only the Rumbelows Cup, a cup is a cup mind you! probably two make shift sides also, I'd need to see Line Ups to gauge who will win.

Whoever loses will say they didn't care anyway, it's only the Rumbelows Cup, a cup is a cup mind you! probably two make shift sides also, I'd need to see Line Ups to gauge who will win.

It's not the Rumbelows Cup anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think United will win this Worthington Cup match

I suppose it's not 1992 either, pull the other one, it has bells on.

I suppose it's not 1992 either, pull the other one, it has bells on.

Hells bells, go back a page. :)

• Advertisement

If City nick the win, I'll toast it with a nice glass of milk.

I'll have a Carling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Extra time and City to win the shootout please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mourinho to rediscover his mojo and United to win. Jose to give it the big one afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

A hard slog of a game with extra time please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whoever wins there will be some great thanks whoring going on!

I predict Manchester will win on penalties after 120 minutes of a thrilling 5-5 goal fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Good team for United. Would prefer Darmian in for Valencia but sure, it's the small things.

• Advertisement

United odds cut by the bookies now that the teams are out. They do look clear favourites now.

Whoever wins there will be some great thanks whoring going on!

I predict Manchester will win on penalties after 120 minutes of a thrilling 5-5 goal fest.

This is your next one now is it? Banging on about thanks whoring, they were running dry for 'The Main Man' , a crafty little whore aren't you.

You do a wonderful job of ignoring me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

No Mkhitaryan in the squad again. Kagawa 2.0 looking more & more likely as the weeks go on. Hopefully he gets a move in January. Great player.
    Pogba needs time according to Mourinho even though he was at the club as a youth player while Mkhitaryan gets scapegoated after the City game. Poor man management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

MD1990 wrote: »
    No Mkhitaryan in the squad again. Kagawa 2.0 looking more & more likely as the weeks go on. Hopefully he gets a move in January. Great player.

I'm not happy about the Mkhitaryan situation however he is one week back from injury. Also calling him Kagawa 2.0 is both premature and inaccurate. Kagawa got plenty of game time and was judged not good enough, Mkhitaryan has been at the club 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'm not happy about the Mkhitaryan situation however he is one week back from injury. Also calling him Kagawa 2.0 is both premature and inaccurate. Kagawa got plenty of game time and was judged not good enough, Mkhitaryan has been at the club 3 months.
    It is more a prediction tbh. We will see in the coming months what happens with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

United to win. Strong squad against a diluted city team.

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »

He knows well calling him Kagawa 2.0 will get a reaction. The only reason he's saying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He knows well calling him Kagawa 2.0 will get a reaction. The only reason he's saying it

Great to see all of them so worried about him. Warms the heart.

That's a pretty weak line-up we're sending out tonight. No Bravo, Dinho, Kun, Kev, Dave, Stones, Clichy, Sagna, Zab, Raheem and Nolito. Can't See us getting anything out of the game. If we keep the score reasonable, it's about all we can expect. Specially as Mourinho has opted for a pretty strong XI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Should be a straight forward United win based on the teams selected. Very worrying for United if they can't dispatch that watered down City team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

One coach clearly cares about this a lot more. Not surprising given that City have got European commitments to think about this season.

• Advertisement

blueser wrote: »
    That's a pretty weak line-up we're sending out tonight. No Bravo, Dinho, Kun, Kev, Dave, Stones, Clichy, Sagna, Zab, Raheem and Nolito. Can't See us getting anything out of the game. If we keep the score reasonable, it's about all we can expect. Specially as Mourinho has opted for a pretty strong XI.

Peps comments about making the nine changes because it is the least important competition also shows his priorities. Backed United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

blueser wrote: »

Is deffo starting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Burial. wrote: »
    Should be a straight forward United win based on the teams selected. Very worrying for United if they can't dispatch that watered down City team.

Good thing you are transparent about your intentions to stay silent if United win or preach doom and gloom if city win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I can see Manchester getting knocked out of this competition tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not surprised Jose went for his strongest team, we need to put them away as early as possible can't be letting them grow in confidence.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

On paper that Utd team looks strong, on the back of recent performances I'd fancy the "weak" City team to get something here.

30 seconds 0-0 check

Is deffo starting!
    I'm glad someone's awake. Precious few spotted the, er, deliberate mistake,myself included!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That should be 0-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Probably should be 1-0 already, didn't expect the header, should've finished it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement