Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goin to aus for a year in 30s

Options
  • 26-10-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Me and the gf are in our early to mid 30s, we heard the cap got raised to 35 for the whv next Jan. I am have a decent IT job here but was considering a break. My gf would probably do casual work like coffee shops etc. Would going to Melbourne be a good idea ? Would we struggle with Rent or to find work maybe ? Would i be better off getting sponsored for a job ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Powerfairy

imitation wrote: »
    Me and the gf are in our early to mid 30s, we heard the cap got raised to 35 for the whv next Jan. I am have a decent IT job here but was considering a break. My gf would probably do casual work like coffee shops etc. Would going to Melbourne be a good idea ? Would we struggle with Rent or to find work maybe ? Would i be better off getting sponsored for a job ?

I would also like an answer to the above :) I will be following this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Melbourne can sometime depend on timing, its way easier to get a job there between May and October in my opinion but the fact you work in IT should stand well. I met two guys who landed IT jobs within a week of arriving but they were contract jobs and not in the exact field they wanted to work in however they paid well so they were happy to suck it up. If your not picky then you will have no issues.

Plenty of casual work in restaurants and bars too however competition is fierce in the summer with the backpacker crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Sponsor ship can be bitter sweet. Do your year, get your 2nd year sorted if you like it and if you want to get sponsored go down that route when you're ready & enjoy the freedom of the WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

I worked in Perth for years in IT, and although can do well there Melbourne really is the IT hub of australia, even more so than Sydney I think. So you should do well there even though the country have a bit of down swing now..
    Also agree with pete4130 above....if you are going for the year or 2 and bit of fun can be good staying on the WHV. Once you get sponsored you are more tied to company......not great if want to travel for a bit etc...
    a good option if harbour thoughts of staying longer/permanently as is the road to PR/cizenship
    One you get sponsored you actually lose your WHV. So if lost job like happened me would then need to find another company to sponsor pronto..altho prob wudn't be an issue in Melbs

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NORZ

The age limit has not been increased to 35 and it will definitely not happen by Jan 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

NORZ wrote: »
    The age limit has not been increased to 35 and it will definitely not happen by Jan 2017.

Aye I emailed them asking when it would be raised, the response I got is that its under review and that legislation needs to be reviewed. They also said that countries would possibly need to reciprocate the agreement (e.g raise the Irish whv for aussies to 35.) as it is all bound by agreements etc. So it is pretty likely it will take a good while to change :(

I found the same info on this site http://southkorea.embassy.gov.au/seol/visa_news_18102016.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I did it but I came down to a Job and a sponsorship. (457)
    It can be hard to interview from abroad.

You are also at the mercy of an employer and if it doesn't work out you have about a month to find a new Job with a sponsorship.

I made a couple of mistakes along the way but it all worked out.

Make sure you understand the cost of living in australia before you accept a Job, I took an unexpected drop in living standard.

Remember you are tied to an employer and to move 457 is a cost of roughly 5k-10k to an Employer depending on the Visa agents they use.
    This can make finding a Job or changing employer difficult.

Once you are on a 457 the lack of mobility can be difficult if you plan to stay longer term, negotiation on salary ect is much harder than if you were a independent.

If you have the time and are on the skill list apply for a visa from abroad an independent visa (may cost more and take longer)

All the above cautions in mind I did it at 30 and that was 4 years ago.
    I came down for a year, moved employer and am nearly through Independent resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

You are also at the mercy of an employer and if it doesn't work out you have about a month to find a new Job with a sponsorship.

Remember you are tied to an employer and to move 457 is a cost of roughly 5k-10k to an Employer depending on the Visa agents they use.
    This can make finding a Job or changing employer difficult.

Pretty sure this is incorrect. You've 90 days to find a new sponsor if things go pear shaped.

It also costs a company about 300 dollars or something to take over someones sponsorship. All they have to do is nominate the employee who already has a 457 visa, so you're not really that tied to a company at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

If you are wanting a job in IT, I'd recommend lining up one before you go where possible. It can take a few months to get one sorted, and with the 6 month restriction on the WHV, a lot of employers don't want to take someone on (rightly so!), even for contracts..

Advertisement