Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gym Noob

• 26-10-2016 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice. 2 months ago, I hit the magical 90kg mark and started going to the gym to lose weight. I've been hovering around the 85kg mark for a few weeks now and don't seem to be able to go lower.
    Go to gym 3 mornings a week for about 45 mins before work and do the following:
    - 3 x 12 sets of 35kg chest press
    - 2 x 12 sets of 25kg shoulder press
    - 2 x 12 sets of 30kg seated row
    - 3 x 12 sets of 120kg leg press

I also do an intensive spin class once a week where I average 23-27 miles in 50 mins. I referee rugby and can comfortably get through a game without being out of breath.
    I'm bored of the weights and feel like I'm making zero progress. The lack of weight loss at the moment is annoying too. I'm running at about 1500 cals per day and feel hungry all the time.
    Anybody got any suggestions of how to change things up? Want to get rid of the moobs and the belly and stop having arms like a teenage girl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It's kind of medically impossible for you to be on 1500 calories, at 85kg, and not lose weight; with no exercise, let alone the amount you are doing. How are you calculating your intake? You've got to be making some serious miscalculations somewhere.

Are you eating a good balance of protein, fats, and high fibre foods?

On the weight lifting front, you might make better progress lifting heavier and doing 5 sets of 5 rather than 3 x 12, and work up to 5 x 8, maybe higher depending on what your progress looks like. Your workout could also use some more diversity. Deadlifts and squats are conspicuously absent, for example. No core work, either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Are you able to finish those sets comfortably? You need to be failing after 12 - 15 reps, otherwise you're wasting your time. Every time you train keep upping your weight so that you'd fail on say, rep 16. Leave one rep in the tank each set.

As I say to others, forget about weight loss. Its a bad KPI. instead focus on body composition and measure it by taking weekly photos.

Also if you want to burn calories and loose fat you really ought to do that by making big gains in muscle mass and letting the muscle cook off the fat.

You are 85 kg, that's not bad but you don't want to get too light. I'd advocate keeping on a calorie surplus, keep those calories in and make sure you load on carbs before training and load protein after. You can maintain or increase weight but in a different composition. You should be aiming for maintaining your weight while getting to approx 10% bodyfat. Anything less than 10% is considered swollhalla but it's not sustainable in the long run.

And dude, don't do cardio more than 3 times a week. Too much cardio will kill your gains man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

I'd generally take in 1500-1800. As for a breakdown on protein/carbs/fats etc, I've not got a real handle on that. Using My Fitness Pal to track cals so I may be miscalculating there.
    I'll def try the smaller sets with bigger weights. Is it worth moving to free weights as it's all machines I'm using now.

Zillah wrote: »

Are you eating a good balance of protein, fats, and high fibre foods?

On the weight lifting front, you might make better progress lifting heavier and doing 5 sets of 5 rather than 3 x 12, and work up to 5 x 8, maybe higher depending on what your progress looks like. Your workout could also use some more diversity. Deadlifts and squats are conspicuously absent, for example. No core work, either.

No way. He should not be doing 5 for 5s. You need to be doing 12-15 rep sets and be 1 away from failure at 15.

At 1500 cals/day he should be wasting away, there's something askew with his calorie work up. He should be eating twice that if he's training. 2500 is the minimum even for a normal.

A good pre-workout booster is to dissolve 3 or 4 teaspoons of instant coffee in a 500ml bottle of coke. You can even supplement with 500mg of caffeine powder if you really want to have explosive power in you.

But you're right on the deadlifts and squats. Op you've got to start working big heavy compound lifts into your routines. Those will work major muscle groups and that will drive your testosterone levels through the ceiling if you do it in the mornings. That then will also help to grow muscle faster in other areas compared to training without compound lifts.
    purpleisafruit

Adverts | Friends
    I'd generally take in 1500-1800. As for a breakdown on protein/carbs/fats etc, I've not got a real handle on that. Using My Fitness Pal to track cals so I may be miscalculating there.
    I'll def try the smaller sets with bigger weights. Is it worth moving to free weights as it's all machines I'm using now.

Machines are ok for targetting specific muscles but an over reliance on them will mean you are missing out on working some groups. Also they can be dangerous in that they don't train you how to balance weight. Using free weights is preferable as you have to support and balance the weight as well as lift it.

Seriously though, don't start restricting calories intake. If you eat enough you will start to get big muscle wise and when you do the lean mass will take care of the body fat.

And remember: explosive power on the lift, lower slowly.

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    Are you able to finish those sets comfortably? You need to be failing after 12 - 15 reps, otherwise you're wasting your time. Every time you train keep upping your weight so that you'd fail on say, rep 16. Leave one rep in the tank each set.

As I say to others, forget about weight loss. Its a bad KPI. instead focus on body composition and measure it by taking weekly photos.

Also if you want to burn calories and loose fat you really ought to do that by making big gains in muscle mass and letting the muscle cook off the fat.

You are 85 kg, that's not bad but you don't want to get too light. I'd advocate keeping on a calorie surplus, keep those calories in and make sure you load on carbs before training and load protein after. You can maintain or increase weight but in a different composition. You should be aiming for maintaining your weight while getting to approx 10% bodyfat. Anything less than 10% is considered swollhalla but it's not sustainable in the long run.

And dude, don't do cardio more than 3 times a week. Too much cardio will kill your gains man.
    Only doing 2 cardio sessions a week between spin class and refereeing. I wouldn't referee every week either. Pre-gym eating is a little difficult as I go first thing in the morning(7am) due to family commitments.
    Only reps that aren't a struggle at the end is leg presses. Really struggle with shoulder presses tbh

• Advertisement

If its hard to eat in the morning before training just take the coffee-in-coke pre workout beverage and buy caffeine powder to add in too. I've read that it causes aggression or something but maybe its just energy.
    Then have a protein shake afterwards.

Its good that you are struggling. But look, you are not going to grow or make any progress while you are on a calorie deficit. Its nigh on impossible to get stronger while you are because you are basically starving your body. The whole calorie deficit logic is a pretty flawed theory in my opinion.

Good that you are training in the morning because that is when your testosterone is at its highest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No way. He should not be doing 5 for 5s. You need to be doing 12-15 rep sets and be 1 away from failure at 15.

There are plenty of successful programmes based around heavier weights and shorter sets, it is not nearly so clear cut as you suggest. I found myself making great progress doing that. There is an odd tendency in some fitness circles to assume that because X programme works it is the only programme that works.

Although the authenticity of it is dubious I did hear a story from the gym where where some guy in the US taking this killed his trainer. The cops were called and they thought he was on pcp or something and he had to be shot something like 27 times.

Although the authenticity of it is dubious I did hear a story from the gym where where some guy in the US taking this killed his trainer. The cops were called and they thought he was on pcp or something and he had to be shot something like 27 times.
    I'll stick to crystal meth thanks!

Advertisement