Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a wireless network

Options
  • 26-10-2016 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Recently bought a second hand PC

Model HP Pro 3500 series. It has windows pro 7 installed.

I have followed the requisite steps in order to set up a wireless internet connection

1) Control Panel
    2) Network and Internet
    3) View Network Status and tasks

Now from here it does not give me the option of adding or managing a wireless network. In the left hand screen the only options are:

Change adapter settings & Change advanced sharing settings.

In change adapter settings the only icon is Local area connection (it says network cable is unplugged).

I'm a very basic user however I'd like to get the wifi connection to this new PC rather than relying on plugging in an ethernet cable.

Am I missing something very obvious?

Its an old work machine with an administrator logon aswell (for which I have the password obviously to access the machine). Is there any way to amend this for personal use and have my own username and password for logon?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Make sure the WLAN Autoconfig Windows service is running and it's startup type set to "automatic".

Right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage", then "Services".

Right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage", then "Device Manager". Under "Network adapters" in the device tree, you should see something along the lines of "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The wireless module on those PCs was optional. Are you sure your one has it (or are you using a dongle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

jimgoose wrote: »
    Make sure the WLAN Autoconfig Windows service is running and it's startup type set to "automatic".

Right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage", then "Services".

Right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage", then "Device Manager". Under "Network adapters" in the device tree, you should see something along the lines of "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport".

Followed these exact steps and this is missing

What do I need to do in order to get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

price690 wrote: »
    Followed these exact steps and this is missing

What do I need to do in order to get this?

A WiFi adapter. Does that machine have one? You can buy a generic plug'n'pray USB one for Windows for a couple of tenners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

When you go into Device Manager, what does it say under Network Adaptors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most pcs do,nt have wifi built in,you can use an ethernet cable,
    and buy a usb wifi reciever .
    ethernet cable in dealz shop is 2euro.

Advertisement