Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of control owner attending AGMs.

Options
  • 26-10-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I am a director of our local apartment mangement company (we are self-managed) and I am normally asked to chair the AGM. If I do not chair, I would still be expected to attend.

Recent AGMs have been attended by a very difficult owner, but since he is an owner-shareholder he has a legal right to be there.

He has seriously disrupted the last 2 AGMs with his aggressive bullying, and he turned our most recent AGM into a near-meltdown. One of my female co-directors is clearly frightened by the prospect of attending an AGM with him present.

If this owner continues to be like this, can anything be done about him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Take a vote on having the whole show filmed, that should stop him doing anything over the top. That or get a security company in. Just cause he's a board member doesn't mean he can act uncivil or threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ask the local community liaison Gard to attend the meeting as a courtesy? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

What is the nature of his bahaviour?
    Is he just bullying and tantruming over some issues not going his way?
    Or is it more like he has become pyschologically unhinged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

He bullies and tantrums, and he is very domineering.

I am not sure he is unhinged, but I would hazard a guess that once he gets started he heats up quickly and loses control somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Can you turn the heating right up in the room?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Perhaps the board can vote in a rules of conduct for board meetings and when a board member violates them they can be ejected from the meeting.
    Assuming he breaks said rules ye can eject him when he becomes cantankerous.

What age is he? I'm assuming he's middle aged-elderly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Is it that issues aren't going the way he wants them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Just tell him its not the agenda, if he diverges at all. Ask him to leave if he is disruptive and dont continue the meeting until he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Is it that issues aren't going the way he wants them?

This could be at the heart of it.

OP is there any possibility you could approach the chap beforehand, acknowledge his points, put them on the agenda, however the quid-pro-quo being he has to behave himself - there are good ways to get his point across...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He sounds like someone who has finally been cornered into paying his fees and has adopted the mentality of "getting his money's worth".

• Advertisement

The guy is not on the committee (thank God) but he is entitled to attend AGMs and EGMs.

The idea of having a word with him before the next GM is worth trying, but I am not sure it will work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Most agms have some one like this. You need a strong chair. Follow the agenda and tell him his issues will be dealt with in AOB. When that time comes up give him 5 minutes to say his piece and move on (for time constraints and to give other people time). Make a note of the issues that will be dealt with after the agm if a reasonable solution can be found.

The key is a strong chair. I've done it a few times. Requires a lot of patience and the ability to diffuse the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Print out the agenda and hand it out, questions can only be asked at the end and limited each topic to 5 mins.

All good ideas, but this fellow is something special. He is borderline intolerable.

Filming may be the only thing that might put manners on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Could you do something like putting forward a motion about acceptable behaviour at meetings, allowing for people not adhering to those to be ejected from the meeting, or having their right to speak rescinded.

Advertisement