Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iCloud storage - monthly plan worth it or manual backup?

Options
  • 26-10-2016 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey. I don't have an iPhone (I know nothing about them) but the mother does and she is running out of space. Now she was looking at buying storage to back up whats on the phone and was looking at the monthly plan. You get additional space which is fine, however you need to pay on a monthly basis for the additional storage. The alternative is to try and back up all the contacts / photos from the phone manually on to the laptop. I'm not sure how to do this - I have read you can sync your contacts from your iphone to your gmail contacts and back up the photos to the laptop. Has anyone done this before and is it much hassle? Or is it just better to buy the additional iCloud storage and use that instead for backing up? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You'll find that it's not the contacts, messages that's using the space. It's her photos.

Upload to,drop box or google photos then delete off the phone to free up space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The easiest option is just pay the extra for iCloud backup, and it's not expensive. Most people won't regularly dump their photos into an external service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

I pay 2.99 per month for iCloud and I think it's worth it, particularly after an iPhone died and lost months of photos. iCloud will back up the phone daily over wifi. In theory you can do this with a laptop but it never worked consistently for me.

iCloud will automatically optimise the size of the photo album stored on the phone to keep free space on the device.
    Yes there are manual ways around but iCloud just manages it all for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JiminyCrickett

Thanks for the replies all. Why would most people not back up to another service like dropbox? Is it a pain to have to backup manually every few weeks to dropbox? What about restoration - is that pain to do from dropbox?

Thanks for the replies all. Why would most people not back up to another service like dropbox? Is it a pain to have to backup manually every few weeks to dropbox? What about restoration - is that pain to do from dropbox?

I back up to iCloud automatically when connected to Wifi and plugged in to charge (iPhone setting).

I then auto back up my camera roll to Dropbox/Google Photos Apps
    It does this automatically every day.

Then I can go through my photos and delete them on a daily, weekly, monthly <insert your timeframe here> and my iCloud is never full (I'm on the free 5gb package)

If you lost your phone tomorrow, I can set myself up on a new iPhone and I will have tonights back up (apps, messages, contacts, settings etc) and then once the apps are downloaded, all my photos are there once again, its quite easy tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

99c per month for 50gb. She will never get near that. If she does, then she is spending too much time taking pictures and as a result, vital housework is being overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JiminyCrickett

dodzy wrote: »
    99c per month for 50gb. She will never get near that. If she does, then she is spending too much time taking pictures and as a result, vital housework is being overlooked.

Where is that offer? The .99c for 50gb per month? Link please...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Where is that offer? The .99c for 50gb per month? Link please...

It's been that for a long time now.
    just go into the iCloud settings on the phone and you can sign up there and then on the phone.

Settings
    iCloud
    Storage
    Buy More Storage
    50gb - 99c P/M
    200gb - 2.99c P/M
    1TB - 9.99c P/M
    2TB - 19.99c P/M

Advertisement