Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi problems

Options
  • 26-10-2016 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the andriod forum but it is applicable here too.

Hi Guys, So I have a s6 which wont connect to the internet on my home wifi. Every other device work's that is until I brought home a new smart ultra 7 for the missus and the same problem with that. The 2 devices are on marshmallow so I am putting it down to this. The only way I can get them to work is by using a vpn app from the playstore i'e dnset or dns changer. Things I have tried: Reset router to defaults Set static ip on phones. Change dns servers to google,opendns. Forget networks Reset network settings on phone I really am at my wits end here and am at a loss as to why the dns apps fix it??? I have a tp link wd8970 router. ANy ideas would be great Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Do they work on other WiFi networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

We have wifi in work and no bother at all.
    I have a Roberts Internet radio and that works fine at home
    Also a Lenovo TABLET,nexus 7 ,s4,kindle fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Redriddick wrote: »
    We have wifi in work and no bother at all.
    I have a Roberts Internet radio and that works fine at home
    Also a Lenovo TABLET,nexus 7 ,s4,kindle fire.

This isn't exactly the same but a while ago my new laptop had trouble maintaining wifi. It could see the network but sometimes wouldn't connect. Sometimes it couldn't see the network at all but could see a neighbors network that hasn't been there before. I changed the channel the router was broadcasting on and problem solved.

Thanks mate.I tried changing channel and still the same.Its funny cos I'm using dns changer at the moment and I'm replying on the phone????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Compare the network settings on a working device vs a problem device. Only difference should be host ip address (gateway, netmask, DNS should be the same).

• Advertisement

Jesus lads this is doing my nut.
    Just got a new archer c9 and still have the same problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

Jesus lads this is doing my nut.
    Just got a new archer c9 and still have the same problems.

There's lots of apps in the play store that will tell you the details about your phones wifi config that your phone may or may not display natively. Fing and PingTools are popular ones. The fact you have connectivity through VPN made me think you're being blocked by some intermediate device but since you've changed your router this is less likely but still possible. Few things:
    - Did you do as degsie suggested above yet? If not do that first.
    - On your phone, double check the MAC address of the AP your connecting to. Not impossible that you're actually connected to a nearby AP with filtering enabled.
    - Using app on your phone, check all network settings on phone including gateway, net mask, internal IP, external IP, DNS server/s
    - Could be you have a modem/router combi which you have plugged an additional router into and your phone is connecting to and being blocked web access by the combi - checking gateway MAC as above will tell you this.
    - You could remove apps you've installed one by one, starting with least important, and checking if web access is restored after each.
    - All else fails, backup all data (and double check its backed up off the device) & factory reset

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Go to router settings ,turn off wifi security ,
    no password needed to acess router .
    see do those devices work.
    switch it back on .
    after 10 minutes .
    maybe they work on wpa but not wpa2

There's lots of apps in the play store that will tell you the details about your phones wifi config that your phone may or may not display natively. Fing and PingTools are popular ones. The fact you have connectivity through VPN made me think you're being blocked by some intermediate device but since you've changed your router this is less likely but still possible. Few things:
    - Did you do as degsie suggested above yet? If not do that first.
    - On your phone, double check the MAC address of the AP your connecting to. Not impossible that you're actually connected to a nearby AP with filtering enabled.
    - Using app on your phone, check all network settings on phone including gateway, net mask, internal IP, external IP, DNS server/s
    - Could be you have a modem/router combi which you have plugged an additional router into and your phone is connecting to and being blocked web access by the combi - checking gateway MAC as above will tell you this.
    - You could remove apps you've installed one by one, starting with least important, and checking if web access is restored after each.
    - All else fails, backup all data (and double check its backed up off the device) & factory reset

Yes I have done as Degsie suggested and all ok.
    No mac address is right
    I have a d1000 set up on bridge mode but filtering is disabled
    I have done a factory reset and also tried the wifi prior to downloading any apps.
    it really is puzzling.
    If I am on a web page and it is trying to load if I turn off wifi and then back on it will load the page halfway and then stop???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Switch the router to wpa 1 ,
    or turn off all security,
    i heard certain apple device s work best on certain channels,
    i know you are not using apple phones,
    maybe your neighbours wifi is on the same channel ,.
    change the wifi channel to 2, 5 or 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

riclad wrote: »
    Switch the router to wpa 1 ,
    or turn off all security,
    i heard certain apple device s work best on certain channels,
    i know you are not using apple phones,
    maybe your neighbours wifi is on the same channel ,.
    change the wifi channel to 2, 5 or 7.

OP has already said he can connect to the WiFi and can access the 'net via a VPN on the device. So wireless security settings don't appear to be the issue.

Ken

Yes I tried no security and still no dice.
    It's happening on two marshmallow devices.

I suspect it's a DNS issue.

To test, try the following:

1. Go to the wifi settings.

2. Tap and hold your wifi connection.

3. Tap on modify network config.

4. Tap advanced settings

5. Change DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 and DNS2 to 8.8.4.4

6. Tap save

7. Restart your phone and test.

Edit: Use an app call DNSset if you want to try another possible solution.

Very strange indeed so. Have you factory reset modem too? Maybe switch the modem to router mode and see if you can connect when using that as access point, bypassing your own router. Thinking out loud maybe there's a limit that's being placed on the number of devices permitted to connect? Would be very odd for that to be the case though.

My methodology would be factory reset modem (taking note of any settings), connect to it directly over WiFi with it in router mode with no other devices connected (wired or WiFi). If that works, connect your own factory resetted router and see if you can connect to it over WiFi. Important to try one thing at a time starting with the simplest setup, check connectivity, add device, check connectivity etc etc...

You may also look up that specific modem eg "d1000 bridging mode". Hopefully you might find someone with same modem and problem. Here's two threads I found quickly which may be of use:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056243944
    https://community.eir.ie/broadband-25/d1000-modem-bridge-problem-31540

Sorry not to have any definite solution.

degsie wrote: »
    I suspect it's a DNS issue.

To test, try the following:

1. Go to the wifi settings.

2. Tap and hold your wifi connection.

3. Tap on modify network config.

4. Tap advanced settings

5. Change DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 and DNS2 to 8.8.4.4

6. Tap save

7. Restart your phone and test.

I have done the above numerous times using both google dns servers and opendns servers

I have done the above numerous times using both google dns servers and opendns servers

I edited my post. Try DNSset app.

Very strange indeed so. Have you factory reset modem too? Maybe switch the modem to router mode and see if you can connect when using that as access point, bypassing your own router. Thinking out loud maybe there's a limit that's being placed on the number of devices permitted to connect? Would be very odd for that to be the case though.

My methodology would be factory reset modem (taking note of any settings), connect to it directly over WiFi with it in router mode with no other devices connected (wired or WiFi). If that works, connect your own factory resetted router and see if you can connect to it over WiFi. Important to try one thing at a time starting with the simplest setup, check connectivity, add device, check connectivity etc etc...

You may also look up that specific modem eg "d1000 bridging mode". Hopefully you might find someone with same modem and problem. Here's two threads I found quickly which may be of use:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056243944
    https://community.eir.ie/broadband-25/d1000-modem-bridge-problem-31540

Sorry not to have any definite solution.

The archer c9 is a cable modem so no modem just a router.
    It really is a pain in the arse.
    I got a new vodafone ultra 7 for herself but its of no use as she cant use the wifi in the house.
    I have the d1000 set up with a different ssid so I know which router I am connected too.

I edited my post. Try DNSset app.

Yes I have used dnset and it does the exact same thing as dns changer app.
    I am just a bit cagey about using them as I have seen online about stealing your information !!

One more thing to try. Turn on 'developer mode' and in developer options turn on "Use legacy DHCP client"

One more thing to try. Turn on 'developer mode' and in developer options turn on "Use legacy DHCP client"
    I have that turned on too.
    I think I have literally done everything.
    I am at my wits end !!

• Advertisement

Check the DHCP settings on your router, is it configured to serve DNS?

Check the DHCP settings on your router, is it configured to serve DNS?

primary dns and secondary dns are blank

primary dns and secondary dns are blank

Populate with google dns or opendns and see if that helps. You may have to restart your phone.

Populate with google dns or opendns and see if that helps. You may have to restart your phone.

Still the same I'm afraid

The archer c9 is a cable modem so no modem just a router.

Ah sorry assumed was router only. Quick google turned up people having issues with battery saving turning off wifi on the phone. Try this: Settings -> battery -> powersaving mode -> Off, ensure any other battery optimisations are disabled

Ah sorry assumed was router only. Quick google turned up people having issues with battery saving turning off wifi on the phone. Try this: Settings -> battery -> powersaving mode -> Off, ensure any other battery optimisations are disabled

Thanks alot lads for the ideas but no joy.
    I have all the battery stuff off too.

If IPv6 is enabled on your router, turn it off.

To check if this is a DNS issue try http://52.212.125.65/ (TG4) on your phones browser and see if it loads.

If IPv6 is enabled on your router, turn it off.

It's disabled

• Advertisement

To check if this is a DNS issue try http://52.212.125.65/ (TG4) on your phones browser and see if it loads.

It make an attempt but nothing shows.
    Blue bar half way across but stops there.

Advertisement