Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why have I been banned for 3 days?

Options
  • 26-10-2016 2:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Mod won't respond to my query.
    The post which I responded to has obviously been deemed OK as it is still on the thread.
    My post was removed and I was banned for 3days for a less aggressive post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'll take a look at this in the next while.

Can you forward PMs you sent to BuffyBot by PM pls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Dear MeatTwoVeg, You have been banned from Commuting & Transport for three days for personal abuse. This site is for civil discussion and so we don't allow discussion to descend into name calling and petty abuse. Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details. If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here. BuffyBot Your post:
    MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    [
    And of course this is why countries all over the world are investing increasingly in rail? And why a country as small and as disparate in geography as Denmark is to us has an extensive railway system? Would you go away and shoite with your uninformed drivel.
    Denmark the island? Great comparison. Does go away and ****e constitute a strong rebuttal? You know nothing my friend. Rail is dead, it can't compete with road transportation and it's being kept artificially alive by bleeding taxpayers dry. Away and ****e yourself.
    My post was removed from the site within minutes of being posted by a Mod, so I doubt anyone even saw it. The post that instigated it was left up however for hours, not even sure if it's still up as I cant see the thread. TBH, I'm not even seeing the personal abuse. Given my post was responding to an unactioned post, it was reasonable to assume this was an appropriate use of language in the thread.

Firstly that someone else's post appeared to be unactioned doesn't always mean that it wasn't as some times that would not be normally visible. The notion that the post was deleted quickly and therefore not seen much holds little water due to email notifications to other posters among other things.

To the matter at hand.

Were rules broken?
    Twice you told the poster to ****e themselves which is personal abuse, plain and simple. This should have been reported, not responded to on thread, another no-no. Both of these warrant a sanction.

Was it intentional?
    No doubt considering responsive choice of words reflecting the other post you were responding to. That and a history of uncivil posting.

Was the sanction appropriate?
    Yes and No, a bit. A one or two day ban might have sufficed if viewed in isolation, but in that 24 hours you went on a trolling spree which has resulted in probation being applied.

However, the ban has lapsed so this is all kind of moot and dropping a day or two of it would be academic as you are free to continue posting now. So I would be of a mind to just move on.

I don't think that's fair at all.
    A poster told me to 'go away and ****e'.
    That Post has been left on thread and no action taken.
    I respond in similar fashion and my post is removed within seconds and three day ban handed out.

Where is the consistency in moderation?
    Where is the line that I supposedly crossed?

Telling me I should 'just move on' isn't helpful.
    I'm being threatened with a month long site ban, partly due to this issue.

I'd like the ban reviewed and if possible rescinded.

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote:
    Was the sanction appropriate? Yes and No, a bit. A one or two day ban might have sufficed if viewed in isolation, but in that 24 hours you went on a trolling spree which has resulted in probation being applied.

Just in terms of this supposed 'trolling spree'. That's a pretty unfair description of 3 cards handed out in in 30mins.
    I didn't realise the rules of that particular forum were so strict and I didn't get a chance to modify my posting style as by the time I saw my first warning, I'd already been given the other two and banned.
    If you'll review the posts in question, I'd like to think you'd agree they're on the lower end of the scale.
    Nevertheless, I am now aware of the standard required in Politics Café, I'll post accordingly, and am not disputing the cards or ban. I'm just providing context to that "trolling spree" comment which is over the top and apparently being used as a basis for this ban.

Is that it?

Is this how the appeals process works.

There's been clear bias shown by a moderator in how he first treated a deliberately baiting post and how he then treated mine and it's 'just suck it up and move on'.

Meanwhile I've a month site long ban threat hanging over me and haven't been allowed join the soccer forum - all mainly down to how this Mod has acted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I will review this & get back to you.

There are a couple of issues which you have raised that I'll address here...

1. Your appeal. The exchange started out in a 'banter-like' manner. Had you responded in kind to the other poster just the once, that would have been ok. But you pushed it & had another pointed go. This, in addition to the lack of civility that you have displayed to other members in other forums across the site was probably a factor in applying such a harsh sanction for a first offence in the forum. A 'wake-up call' so to speak. I find no issue with this, & the ban stands.

2. The threat of a 1 month siteban. You have been placed on Probation because of your appalling record on this site in a very short space of time. This is down to your actions on this site & nobodys else's. It has nothing whatsoever to do with any one mods actions. Cop-on or go away. Simple as that.

tHB

1. Your appeal. The exchange started out in a 'banter-like' manner. Had you responded in kind to the other poster just the once, that would have been ok. But you pushed it & had another pointed go. This, in addition to the lack of civility that you have displayed to other members in other forums across the site was probably a factor in applying such a harsh sanction for a first offence in the forum. A 'wake-up call' so to speak. I find no issue with this, & the ban stands.

I've genuinely no idea what you're talking about?
    I didn't 'have another go', there was one post by him, the post that started this apparent "banter". I'd call it insulting and deliberately baiting, but whatever, we'll go with banter.
    There was one response by myself, removed within seconds by the Mod and a 3 day ban handed out.
    Where's this other response that's apparently tipped the argument for you?
    Can you post it onto this thread?
    Why is his post just banter, but mine's a gross transgression that requires the harshest of sanctions?

Finally, am I just wasting my time here?
    Does this forum actually provide a means for posters to have Mod action against them reviewed, or will a Mod's actions be justified regardless?

• Advertisement

This, in addition to the lack of civility that you have displayed to other members in other forums across the site was probably a factor in applying such a harsh sanction for a first offence in the forum. A 'wake-up call' so to speak.

On this point, why was it "probably" a factor?
    Can't you just ask the Mod in question if he carefully went through my posting history, weighed up my posts and decided a 3 day ban would be appropriate?
    It's pretty impressive if he managed to do all that in the time between my post and the ban being handed out.

Let's get real here, this was nothing to do with wake up calls, it was just a way of getting rid of a poster expressing anti-train opinions.
    How else can the way he's treated the two posts be explained?
    Either they're both problematic, or neither are.

I say 'probably' because I am not a mind reader. The fact is that you were uncivil (once only - I got that wrong). There may have been some inconsistency in sanctions applied - I will discuss separately with them. Ultimately you are responsible for your own actions & just because one member breaks a site rule does not give you leave to do the same.

As for getting real - you have caused enough grief on this site over the past 12 weeks. If you don't stop acting the mick & being uncivil to our mods & members your time here will be very short indeed.

End of story.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement