Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop/AIO for 500€

Options
  • 26-10-2016 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Buying a present for a college student and was wondering what's the best one you've seen at this price?
    As far as I can make out, she would be using it for writing reports, internet browsing, music, etc so nothing too taxing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

IMO, avoid the AOI's. Never seen them good for upgrading, and if the screen goes, the machine is useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Ended up getting this for 525 delivered which seems a decent deal
    https://www.amazon.de/Dell-Optiplex-Desktop-PC-Intel-4790s/dp/B00XB7PDJM

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Doesn't look too bad. Dell made them about two years ago.

It has an i7, 8GB's of RAM, and 500GB harddrive. They won't be able to game with the inbuilt graphics card, which is a pity as it's a decent CPU. And from what I can see, it's more or less a laptop with a monitor screen, thus little or no possibility to upgrade the graphics card.

Check if they'll be gaming at all with it. If not, it's a nice setup.

=-=

Checked the two suppliers;
    Computer Republic GmbH Used - Like New - Exhibit, packaging slightly damaged / already open. Supplied with accessories (W10 64bit) in the original package.
    Shipped from Germany
    In other words, probably no warranty, or a reduced warranty if it was already activated. Comes from Germany.
    Ya xing zhang - NEW with invoice, 2 year warranty, contact us before BUYING
    Check the business address for this one;
    Longgangqunanwanjiedaoshenhuilu
    zhongchengkangqiaohuayuan29dong3ceng301
    Shenzhen
    Guangdong
    CN
    So, China. The two year warranty; from where? China?

=-=

So two options; limited or no warranty, or warranty from China. I'd avoid both, as shipping from China will most likely see you hit by Customs. If buying it for yourself, sure, grand, but if buying as a present for someone that may not be technically minded, best avoiding this one, as anything goes wrong with it, and warranty issues may be fun :/

Give me a budget, and I'll see what I can come up with later if it's not busy here. Thus far, nothing has fallen over (touch wood), so may be able to find something for ye.

=-=

If you have bought it, which one did you buy it from, and did they give you the service tag?

Thanks ts.
    Have already bought it from amazon. Its not arriving for a few days though.
    She doesn't game so dedicated graphics card wasn't a consideration.

It seems well speced for its price, but can't help feeling the i7 is wasted in it. Might swap it for the i5 in my laptop :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

IF you bought using that Chinese seller, it's a scam. Amazon is rife with them.

IF you bought using that Chinese seller, it's a scam. Amazon is rife with them.

Uh oh.
    What happens if it does turn out to be a scam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You'll just get your money back. Virtually every single PC and laptop on Amazon has a seller offering the item for far cheaper than everyone else, and it's always one of these 'just launched' sellers and in the bio they always ask people to contact them prior to making the sale.

The hope is that someone will then end up paying through Paypal outside of Amazon, which makes your money non-refundable. Whereas when it gets processed through Amazon, it's flagged straight away, your money is returned and seller is banned.

You can spot them a mile off really, they're all the same, offering goods at prices far too low to be true.

Not saying your seller is a scammer, but if it was the particular chinese seller linked above, it is.

You'll just get your money back. Virtually every single PC and laptop on Amazon has a seller offering the item for far cheaper than everyone else, and it's always one of these 'just launched' sellers and in the bio they always ask people to contact them prior to making the sale.

The hope is that someone will then end up paying through Paypal outside of Amazon, which makes your money non-refundable. Whereas when it gets processed through Amazon, it's flagged straight away, your money is returned and seller is banned.

You can spot them a mile off really, they're all the same, offering goods at prices far too low to be true.

Not saying your seller is a scammer, but if it was the particular chinese seller linked above, it is.

Ah right. Seller isn't the one linked, but there is the contact first thing...which I ignored. Seems scammy enough in retrospect.
    Have contacted amazon to make them aware that I'm suspicious. No reply yet though.

Thanks.

Advertisement