Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Untitled Wrestling Comedy staring The Rock

• 26-10-2016 4:08pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭

You may have seen this elsewhere such as the TV forum but I def feel it warrants discussion here in PW -

Dwayne Johnson Developing Wrestling Comedy at Fox From Seven Bucks & Gary Sanchez Prods.
    Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is going back to his beginnings for his latest project.

Fox has nabbed a hot comedy from the wrestler-turned-superstar and producer Will Ferrell, inspired by the real life experiences of Johnson and former WWE head writer Brian Gewirtz, Variety has learned.

The project, hailing from Johnson’s Seven Bucks Productions and Ferrell’s Gary Sanchez Productions, received a put pilot commitment at Fox. Andrew Gurland, who created FX’s “Married,” will write the pilot script.

The series offers a behind-the-scenes look at a fictional professional wrestling outfit and chronicles the one-of-a-kind odd couple relationship that develops between a charismatic young character, like the The Rock, and a painfully awkward comedy writer new to the world of wrestling. A fish-out-of-water among all of these alpha males, this beta former sitcom writer needs as much help as he can get navigating the extremely passionate, sometimes crazy and always unpredictable world of professional wrestling.

“This November will mark the 20th anniversary of my professional wrestling debut,” said Johnson. “I was 24 years old, putting in the hard work, making $40 bucks per match and had no clue of the long journey that lay ahead of me with characters and backstage stories so colorful you’d think there’s no way that can be true. The entertaining show that goes on in front of the crowd pales in comparison to the insanely entertaining show that goes on backstage. Brian and myself can’t wait to tell our stories.”

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/dwayne-johnson-wrestling-comedy-fox-the-rock-will-ferrell-1201895830/

The Rock & Brian Gewirtz teaming up with Will Ferrell to do a comedy about the behind the scenes of a wrestling company... count me in!

Should be interesting as well as it sounds like these are real life stories the 2 PW Alumni will be drawing from. I wonder if we will be able to spot who other characters in the show are based off etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I take it that starring Jason Alexander as Jim Cornette won't be happening. He and Gewirtz were great friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It will be interesting to see if WWE help out with this by offering cameos for wrestlers, allowing the use of venues etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ERG89 wrote: »
    I take it that starring Jason Alexander as Jim Cornette won't be happening. He and Gewirtz were great friends

THIS! Insta-watch!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Could be win win if they offer help MNG as it might mean more returns / cameos from The Rock in the WWE.

Sure you can use our live wrestling crowd Dwayne just film while you make an appearance on Raw etc or during your Mania match with Reigns

(not saying that's the plan but I dunno who they have for Reigns at Mania this year, Rockys his cousin and the WWE would consider it great mainstream exposure for a guy they wanna push to be on the Rocks show on top of in a program with him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i wonder will it be a fly on the wall type thing like the Office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can just see it now Vince being portrayed like the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket backstage.

Sir yes Sir.

Advertisement