Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Mels Park...Athlone Town FC

Options
  • 26-10-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Where exactly was St Mels Park, Athlone Town FC's old ground?

I lived in Athlone up until about a month ago but never managed to find the site on which it was. I've been to the new ground and that has a really nice stand etc but often wondered what Mels was like...

Thanks"!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

The red circle is where it used to be iirc. Green circle is current ground for perspective. You can get to the old ground through Sarsfield Sq. as marked with the blue lines. ;)

15ewhg5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Mel's was what looks like the waste ground just to the right of the red circle - can still see the outline of the ground and pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The red circle is Melville United's pitch. St. Mel's Park was just to the right. Even when Athlone Town were using it it was as basic as LOI grounds got.

As far as I know, all that has been demolished is the stand that ran along the length of the pitch. Everything else is just derelict and overgrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Played a colleges final there in ~2002. No lights or windows in the changing rooms which was interesting. Pitch wasn't the worst in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

Thanks a million folks, I appreciate that. If I am back in Athlone I must go for a wander over there [I used to walk through the houses there a good bit but never realised St Mels was that close...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

As far as I know, all that has been demolished is the stand that ran along the length of the pitch. Everything else is just derelict and overgrown.

Everything is gone - long stand, small stand/dressing rooms, turnstyles. Even the approach is different as all the trees on the left were cleared, and what was a narrow walkway to the railway line is all opened up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Played Ac Milan in that ground in 1975

0-0

Athlone missed a penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Went by it recently
    Depressing site now with everything knocked

Advertisement