Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving AIB after 25 years, who do you recommend?

• 26-10-2016 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hi -- I have decided to leave AIB, taking all my savings with me, as they have pee'd be off one too many times.

Banks are banks, we'll probably never love them. But, does anyone have a recommendation of the best of a bad bunch, here in Ireland? And why?

I'll also be setting a business bank a/c too, so that could be taken into consideration (i.e., their internet banking facilities).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I changed from BOI to Permanent TSB a few years back. Was sick of BOI and their unwillingness to actually talk to the public. TSB are nice to deal with, they open late some evenings, there are no account fees if you have a certain amount coming into your account every month (1500 I believe..), and their internet banking is easy to use and you can do most banking on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I recently done the same, Got fed up with all the charges and crappy interest rates from AIB, moved over to KBC, switching process which was meant to be pain free wasnt really, had to manually change some of my direct debits and other bits and pieces but maybe i was just unlucky. Now ive switched im fairly happy with them so far, as long as you deposit more than 2.5k a month in your account there are no fees whatsoever, they also give you a savings account (extra regular saver) which has a rate of 4%, you can deposit a once off lump sum of 10k at the start and then a max monthly fee of 1k, my advise is dont go over this as they return the money back to the original account and it an be a pain, the online and mobile banking is grand, bit more basic then AIB's but has all the require features, has no stupid code calculator thing either which used to drive me mad.

Also, they do a rewards thing on their credit card if you set one up, Basically if you use it a bit you get a bit of cash back, think its 2% (to a max of something like 60 euro a month), I usually pay for everything now with the credit card whereas before i would have used my laser and then just every week id clear the card using my phone. I regularly get 40-50 euro back a month which is better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ulster Bank has good online services and opens on Saturday mornings. Also, for me anyway, no fees. For savings I use them and NTMA . In 40 years I've never had a problem with direct debits, standing orders, transfers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,590 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Moved to Ulster bank from AIB but then Ulster bank bought in fees, so moved to PTSB, very happy with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Have been with BofI, AIB, KBC - KBC are the best IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

Can't complain about PTSB - been with them 20 years plus and have never paid any fees. Only requirement is that more than 2500 is lodged every month

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Thank you all, for the responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

kranbo wrote: »
    Can't complain about PTSB - been with them 20 years plus and have never paid any fees. Only requirement is that more than 2500 is lodged every month
    Is if different for different accounts? I'm nearly positive mine is only 1500 a month to be lodged.. Never get charged fees anyways so whatever it is I must be doing it right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Is if different for different accounts? I'm nearly positive mine is only 1500 a month to be lodged.. Never get charged fees anyways so whatever it is I must be doing it right :)

Should be 1500, and you can actually just move 500 in and out 3 times to satisfy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭_Godot_

The ptsb explore account looks really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/CurrentAccount - the last PTSB Current Account was good - this one is pure marketing baloney.

If I had too choose now I'd go with KBC or EBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,590 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Delta2113 wrote: »
    http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/CurrentAccount - the last PTSB Current Account was good - this one is pure marketing baloney.

If I had too choose now I'd go with KBC or EBS.

I have heard bad stories about KBC , they seem to offer introductory offers to lure you in . Worth while to see what happens a year or three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭billyhead

I have been with AIB for about 20 years and have all my direct debits for mortgage, electricity, gas, salarys set up with them. I always have the min balance in the current account to avoid the charges and any lump sum i do save put it towards my mortgage. Is there any point in my situation to change banks or is it to much hassle. I never had any problems with the customer service or the online banking with AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

billyhead wrote: »
    I have been with AIB for about 20 years and have all my direct debits for mortgage, electricity, gas, salarys set up with them. I always have the min balance in the current account to avoid the charges and any lump sum i do save put it towards my mortgage. Is there any point in my situation to change banks or is it to much hassle. I never had any problems with the customer service or the online banking with AIB

I actually have no problems with their rates, or their personal online banking.

I am leaving for other reasons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

the last PTSB Current Account was good - this one is pure marketing baloney.

Yes I have a joint account with the previous PTSB offering and just looked at switching my sole account as I have been happy with them - and I was not very please with what they are now offering. It's a shame as I would have prefered to go simple and get both with the same bank.

Do you know of for people who have an old account they can easily change the T7Cs and whether it is something banks would usually do?

One word about KBC: they will not take cash lodgement so avoid them of this is something you need - and overall avoid it if you like doing things at your branch as it seems like the staff on the ground is more there to smile at you, sell you new products, and forward your problems/requests to the headquarters rather than addressing them directly.

"Do you know of for people who have an old account they can easily change the T7Cs and whether it is something banks would usually do?"

If I was FREE Current Account with PTSB I would not change to the current offering.

EBS Money Manager is the best and only FREE option.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Surprised no one has mentioned Number26 https://n26.com/

It's a german digital only bank - however it is also available in Ireland.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/number26-to-launch-mobile-first-bank-account-in-ireland-1.2452262

Don't use it myself - but if I was changing at the moment I'd be looking at something like this.

"Do you know of for people who have an old account they can easily change the T7Cs and whether it is something banks would usually do?"

If I was FREE Current Account with PTSB I would not change to the current offering.

EBS Money Manager is the best and only FREE option.

Sorry I typed too quickly on my phone and it wasn't clear. I will definitely hold onto it, but I meant can the bank easily change the T&Cs and move people away from the free account?

doopa wrote: »
    Surprised no one has mentioned Number26 https://n26.com/

It's a german digital only bank - however it is also available in Ireland.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/number26-to-launch-mobile-first-bank-account-in-ireland-1.2452262

Don't use it myself - but if I was changing at the moment I'd be looking at something like this.

I actually looked into it today and the feedback on boards seems to be quite mixed-up (apparently it was originally all good and free but they are now starting to charge for new customers, reassigning IBAN codes and debit card numbers for old customers, and their customer service doesn't seem very responsive).

I was with N26 but left because of the fact that they cant charge correctly for the Irish Government ATM withdrawal tax and just charge €5 per year even if you never use the card and take out cash at a ROI ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I was with N26 but left because of the fact that they cant charge correctly for the Irish Government ATM withdrawal tax and just charge €5 per year even if you never use the card and take out cash at a ROI ATM.

Give me your address. I'll send you my coffee change in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Whilst I do agree with you that the card charge is a bit of a shambles, fact is I'd hit the €2.50/€2.50 limit within a year easily. Given all the extra features they offer I'm happy to pay that even if I never used it at an ATM/POS.

It's €5 you have to pay so if all your 12 cent charges only hit €2.50 your paying an extra 100%.

If your happy to pay then that's fine - it's your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

allybhoy wrote: »
    Also, they do a rewards thing on their credit card if you set one up, Basically if you use it a bit you get a bit of cash back, think its 2% (to a max of something like 60 euro a month), I usually pay for everything now with the credit card whereas before i would have used my laser and then just every week id clear the card using my phone. I regularly get 40-50 euro back a month which is better than nothing.
    Wow to you have a link to that? A credit card that credits you with 40-50 per month sounds amazing. How much are you putting on your card every month. Assume you are clearing it each month also.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I changed from BOI to PTSB about 10 months ago and it was an absolute nightmare. Their switcher team promised to handle all the direct debit changeovers which they didn't. I had numerous failed direct debits from my old account that I had to sort out myself which cost more on phone calls.
    Better the devil you know I say

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Oh and another thing definitely do your homework before you change. PTSB wanted me to changeover my mortgage and offers 2% cashback as a carott but they didn't mention that surveyors and solicitors fees would wipe that out. It wasn't until I went in with the figures that they said I was right

I moved from BOI Current Account (not prepared to pay €20 minimum per year) to PTSB FREE Current Account (the lodge €1,500 per month one) and I've never regretted it.

I was lucky I suppose as I had no direct debit's to switch and my BOI account got closed and balance transferred to PTSB all ok.

PTSB are very pushy sales wise when you go to the branch so just be prepaired. They insisted on giving me a quote for house insurance even when I told them that I did not own the house it was my mam's but a FREE account is a free account.

I'd go with EBS now if i was in the market now for a FREE Current Account.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I moved from BOI Current Account (not prepared to pay €20 minimum per year) to PTSB FREE Current Account (the lodge €1,500 per month one) and I've never regretted it.

I was lucky I suppose as I had no direct debit's to switch and my BOI account got closed and balance transferred to PTSB all ok.

PTSB are very pushy sales wise when you go to the branch so just be prepaired. They insisted on giving me a quote for house insurance even when I told them that I did not own the house it was my mam's but a FREE account is a free account.

I'd go with EBS now if i was in the market now for a FREE Current Account.

EBS is great, apart from the inexplicable lack of a mobile banking app, but I use it in combination with N26 and am otherwise very happy with them.

• Advertisement

The above is a great example how we can take advantage from using more than one bank/ building society.

EBS - low technology but it's free - N26 - latest technology and maybe free depending when you joined up.

I despair at the amount of people who just keep giving BOI €20 per year for a Current Account.

I've BOI savings account for wages -FREE -PTSB Current Account -FREE -Revolut -FREE - pick and mix people -shop around.

Advertisement