Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small home

Options
  • 26-10-2016 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am tired of searching for a place to rent, the market is insane. Started considering a flat pack or some sort of tiny home but then the issue of planning permission is there and on top of it the local needs thing!

Can we actually get something done in this country?

I don't want to renovate a derelict shack. I would like to be able to buy a plot a land and be able to get a small house in. I want an address, I need water and electricity and so on!

Don't have parents to help nor savings for a > 300K home.

Any suggestions are welcomed,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

uhm...move away from dublin? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rot432

Funny thing is I am not in Dublin. There are only a handful of properties to let in Meath, Louth, Kildare and I don't need a 3 or 4 bedroom mansion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Have you any family/friends who would allow you to put a log cabin in their garden or on their land? Look at gardenrooms.ie, my daughter lives in one and loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rot432 wrote: »
    Funny thing is I am not in Dublin. There are only a handful of properties to let in Meath, Louth, Kildare and I don't need a 3 or 4 bedroom mansion!

That's where the people who can't afford Dublin have gone, you need to go further West. The other problem is that nearly everything built recently in rural areas is a mcmansion that even the original owners realised soon after moving in was too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://inhabitat.com/architect-dominic-stevens-builds-his-simple-dream-house-for-under-33000/dominic-stevens-self-build6
    Its possible to build a small house for 30k .
    a site costs 25 plus .Look on daft.ie houses under 35k.
    theres houses all over the place for 30k, it,ll need modernisation and decoration .Make sure it has an old esb ,water connection.
    http://www.daft.ie/galway/property-for-sale/?s%5Bmxp%5D=50000

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I am tired of searching for a place to rent, the market is insane. Started considering a flat pack or some sort of tiny home but then the issue of planning permission is there and on top of it the local needs thing!

Can we actually get something done in this country?

I don't want to renovate a derelict shack. I would like to be able to buy a plot a land and be able to get a small house in. I want an address, I need water and electricity and so on!

Any suggestions are welcomed,

Most of us had no parents to help with homes either, we just had to save our ass off.
    If won't happen over night so allow yourself some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So what is your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

1 Bed apartments in most countys outside dublin, galway are cheap ,
    maybe 60-70k.,not everyone needs to buy a 200k house .
    Yes its ridiculous some people went crazy in the boom building 2000 sq ft houses since it was so easy to borrow money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

riclad wrote: »
    1 Bed apartments in most countys outside dublin, galway are cheap ,
    maybe 60-70k.,not everyone needs to buy a 200k house .
    Yes its ridiculous some people went crazy in the boom building 2000 sq ft houses since it was so easy to borrow money.

There's plenty of 2000 sq ft houses available for 60k, you just have to move to where nobody else wants to

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's plenty of 2000 sq ft houses available for 60k, you just have to move to where nobody else wants to

And find a job in that place, I did it but it took me a year to find a decent job. Lot of "who you know" outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Depends on what you're after and qualified in but plenty of jobs knocking around in places like Carlow, Kilkenny, Athlone and a few others if you're willing to look further out and not bother commuting.

Advertisement