Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRC moving distribution to UK.

Options
  • 26-10-2016 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭

Watching Utv News and the lead story is that Wiggle are moving CRC's distribution to Wolverhampton and looks like closing the Doagh and other branches.
    Will try and find a link now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Wiggle doing it all from one place

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-37777345

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Pity. CRC were great for delivery, usually 2 day max.

Wiggle on the otherhand, talking at least a week without paying for special delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It makes sense for operational efficiency etc. Economies of scale. Obviously not good for local employment in NI.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yep. Probably makes it easier for them to deal with my legal challenges on their discriminatory pricing if they consolidate in one place....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I work near Doagh... is very handy to nip out and pickup anything that's online.

Progress eh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Very disappointing to read that. I can't see the remaining (mainly administrative) 275 CRC roles continuing in NI for very much longer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    I work near Doagh... is very handy to nip out and pickup anything that's online.

Progress eh.

Do they have all the online stock in that store? I;m up that way tomorrow I might pick up a few bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

Will that be the end of free delivery over 9 euro then?
    I'm not too well up on the companies but found the delivery very fast too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Andalucia wrote: »
    Pity. CRC were great for delivery, usually 2 day max.

Wiggle on the otherhand, talking at least a week without paying for special delivery

+1 on delivery rarely use wiggle these days and if they take wiggle pricing ill be buying even less

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's ages since I've seen anything at a price worth buying on CRC personally. Invariably more expensive than anywhere else, and if you do come across a bargain, it's out of stock.

Their bike inventory is weird as well - scaldy aul Felts and cubes, and then Raleigh's and Eastways (?).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

letape wrote: »
    Very disappointing to read that. I can't see the remaining (mainly administrative) 275 CRC roles continuing in NI for very much longer either.

Belfast telegraph said around 200+ jobs are expected to go over the course of the year.

A lot of anger in comments section as they may have benefitted from Grants to help develop them for the benefit if NI business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

CRC/Wiggle leaving a sour taste in a lot of mouths up North right now...

400162.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

iwillhtfu wrote:
    Do they have all the online stock in that store? I;m up that way tomorrow I might pick up a few bits.

I've heard they keep some stuff at the other warehouses but I've never experienced that.
    The small shop in Doagh is really just a shop front on their warehouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I wonder will be see a massive sale in 2017 to offload stock in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cromcruach

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    I've heard they keep some stuff at the other warehouses but I've never experienced that.
    The small shop in Doagh is really just a shop front on their warehouse.

I know at least some full bikes are kept in a different factory. But the Doagh warehouse is fantastic - it's near my work too and it's great to call in with a list of stuff and leave with it ten minutes later. Even marginally higher prices on some things were worth it for the convenience, plus it is/was keeping locals in jobs.

Actually ordered a bike from them at about 8:00 this morning (Wednesday) and ETA for arrival is next day. Last bricks-and-mortar bike I bought took longer than that for them to get it from their workshop, and this will arrive at my door!

Wiggle's debt to profit ratio is apparently 82:1, whereas CRC had no debt. Can't be good in the long run for the consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    It makes sense for operational efficiency etc. Economies of scale. Obviously not good for local employment in NI.

Doesn't sound like an act of genius with Britain about to slam into a hell of export problems with Brexit; they'd be more sensible to split it and hop one half over the border into Ireland so that they'd still have a toehold in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Title is a little misleading ;)
    Joking aside, terrible for the staff employed in NI.

nak wrote: »
    Title is a little misleading ;)

I would have had it as "CRC moving distribution to the mainland" and enjoyed the subsequent meltdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Typical big business neoliberal ****e.
    Never knew there was a link between wiggle and crc.
    Feel for the workers, always the first people shafted when big business smells money.

terrydel wrote: »
    when big business smells money.

Isn't that the point of a business? If someone didn't smell money in the first place they wouldn't have had jobs there to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chuchote wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like an act of genius with Britain about to slam into a hell of export problems with Brexit; they'd be more sensible to split it and hop one half over the border into Ireland so that they'd still have a toehold in the EU.

That's what I was thinking. I don't know the cost benefits in regards staffing etc. but having a foothold in the EU seemed a no brainer. The only other thing there is that they may move to somewhere on the bigger mainland for distribution within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

terrydel wrote: »
    Typical big business neoliberal ****e.
    Never knew there was a link between wiggle and crc.
    Feel for the workers, always the first people shafted when big business smells money.

neither did I till I saw the other day that CRC were going to be stocking dhb gear

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Post Brexit (I still think it might not happen despite every politician in the UK committing to the 'will of the *lied to* public'), I would imagine they'd want a European hub a lot more central than Ireland. Shipping costs and times would be much higher from here.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Isn't that the point of a business? If someone didn't smell money in the first place they wouldn't have had jobs there to begin with.

I think you know full well what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ThisRegard wrote:

There is a point at which a business actually becomes parasitic for a society or community, and large corporations are big offenders of this. Feel sorry for the workers and their families

Yeah, but that's just how business is, always has been. Very few operate on an altruistic basis. I'm not defending their move, it's ****ty for anyone working there who may lose their job. But Wiggle are doing what's best for their company and future, do you go pointing the finger at the guys who sold CRC rather than the people who bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ThisRegard wrote:
    Yeah, but that's just how business is, always has been. Very few operate on an altruistic basis. I'm not defending their move, it's ****ty for anyone working there who may lose their job. But Wiggle are doing what's best for their company and future, do you go pointing the finger at the guys who sold CRC rather than the people who bought it?

It's a flawed system for the masses and has to stopped

Not asking them to be altruistic, I'm merely pointing out a fact (imho) that firstly, the bigger these companies get, the more money becomes the motivation and driving force, invariably to the detriment of the workers, and secondly how they find it so much easier to act in a callous manner towards the people who helped get them there, when the scent of a really big pay day hits.
    I'd apportion equal blame here. Typical fat cat behaviour imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Chuchote wrote: »

100% agree. They will need to consider how to service and keep there substantial EU customer base /turnover. Having a fulfillment centre in the EU would seem the most logical thing long term. My thinking on this would be the move is a medium term strategy decision and not the last change to their supply chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

But Wiggle are doing what's best for their company and future
    They'll be doing what's best for their major shareholders and quarterly results...
    do you go pointing the finger at the guys who sold CRC rather than the people who bought it?
    Was CRC a private or public company? If public, the sale is not necessarily voluntary.

Advertisement