Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online Selling - best sites to use

• 26-10-2016 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

What sites do you use? When living in the US, I was a frequent user of Amazon and eBay. For larger stuff (pick up only) I used Craigslist Facebook Buy/Sell groups. Have some stuff to sell now but the whole listing process is awkward. Just went to list some stuff on eBay and I'm faced with listing in sterling, possibly dealing with buyers outside Ireland, low traffic in Ireland. What are the other options?

Is Amazon UK feasible for new books/DVDs or do you really need to live in UK?

Is eBay a waste of time?

I hear people enthusing about DoneDeal but have three ads up there for over 50 days and not a bite.

I joined a number of Facebook selling/jumble groups but people seem to be selling aloe vera products, tacky clothes, dogs. The ones local to me seem to be free for alls with fighting, name-calling and no sign of anyone moderating the ads or comments.

I tried the car boot sale route a couple of years ago, but the local one was full of tat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have you looked at adverts.ie it is no longer free but I like the openess of it where you can see comments.

I never saw international ebay selling as a real option as postage out of Ireland is just ridiculous.

You could link your done deal ads or similar ads to yours and people could give feedback on how to improve them. On adverts people might put up poor ads but then open questions start coming in and people get the info they want. I used to hate it back before the internet having to phone lads to list off stuff about the item, no photos or anything. Many online ads are so poor they may as well be back in the 90s buy&sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you looked at adverts.ie it is no longer free but I like the openess of it where you can see comments...You could link your done deal ads or similar ads to yours and people could give feedback on how to improve them.
    I just posted this one on Adverts. Have had it listed on DoneDeal for some time but got no bites.
    http://www.adverts.ie/healthcare/wheelchair-breezy-relax-2/11644083

I think difficult to sell more expensive items online.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I have an adverts shop with ridiculously low prices for relatively high demand items (cheaper than buying anywhere online with delivery to Ireland) and it can be a struggle to get a tenner out of people! If it wasn't for return customers I'd have packed it in a long time ago.

You'd have to be extraordinarily lucky to sell something for 1500 on adverts imo. It's a shame but it resembles a car boot sale more than an Irish equivalent of Ebay or Amazon.

I sell a lot more to Irish customers through Ebay. Probably 10-1 difference.

Selling internationally is the only viable way of selling online in Ireland. I mentioned this in another thread but if can access the border posting / couriers within the UK is far more viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

I have an adverts shop with ridiculously low prices for relatively high demand items (cheaper than buying anywhere online with delivery to Ireland) and it can be a struggle to get a tenner out of people! If it wasn't for return customers I'd have packed it in a long time ago.

You'd have to be extraordinarily lucky to sell something for 1500 on adverts imo. It's a shame but it resembles a car boot sale more than an Irish equivalent of Ebay or Amazon.

I sell a lot more to Irish customers through Ebay. Probably 10-1 difference.

Selling internationally is the only viable way of selling online in Ireland. I mentioned this in another thread but if can access the border posting / couriers within the UK is far more viable.
    I don't understand it. As a seller, it seems to be well nigh impossible to sell anything of value, except maybe cars. As a buyer, it seems to be a sea of crap out there.

I suppose there are no sites out there that set themselves apart. There are lots of Facebook selling groups, but around here at least they are geographic rather than by type of item. So for example, don't see any furniture ones. And on any one of those groups you get everything from tacky clothes, to dogs, to cars that are guaranteed to pass the NCT and lots of infighting. And of course aloe vera products.

I put ad with photo in my local GPs office. I might put one in supermarket too.

On eBay do you confine your sales to Irish customers, or is there a way to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I sell throughout Europe but you can limit your sales to Ireland only if you wish. The majority of my sales are to the UK so I send via Royal Mail.

You can also charge different shipping depending on the destination.

• Advertisement
Advertisement