Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would You Sacrifice Rural Rail Services for the DART Underground/Metro North?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Also did someone mentioned 35mph as an average speed, christ you could do that on a road bike!!!

1 hour 40 mins to cover 56 miles from Waterford to Limerick Junction. Average speed 33.6 mph!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Idbatterim wrote: »
    much of rural ireland has had a fortune spent on motorways. This is Ireland and Irish Rail we are talking about here, when you say "the service has room for improvement" even if the numbers doubled, they would probably still be a joke...

absolute nonsense. i've been using the rosslare line for 20 years, if the numbers doubled the numbers would be double far from a joke. they are far from it as it is . they're is room for road and rail where both exist, it's the government and those obsessed with 1960s thinking that are the cause of our transport issues. it doesn't have to be 1 or the other and the mindset can still change.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Posts deleted or edited as we're not quoting or discussing posts from the Conspiracy Theories board!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

These threads are fanciful.

It's not one or the other and never will be -- and in the short-to-mid term pitting rural rail vs urban rail will more likely delay larger Dublin projects.

What starved urban and rural rail of funding in the boom times was the massive focus on motorways. It was things like the idea that Ireland had to have four motorways down south and that's echoed in the thinking that we needed the M1, M2 and M3 so close to each other. Even if you said forget about the railways, a motorway between Cork and Limerick would should have been a higher priority than such massive duplication across the south of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 n1ey

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Serious question. If that was the only offer on the table?

As an American I think that you should retain rural rail and enhance the service. I think that the years have shown that having a proper network improves ridership. Multiple trains each way on a line makes it accessible. Timing the trains to actually meet for transfers is important.

Many years ago it seemed impossible to travel in 1 day from Sligo to places.

I also don't think that you should have a mess of transit in Dublin. Why advocate yet another mode? You need 1 seat ride for commuting. Every time you introduce another mode you actually don't bring much improvement. You need a system that integrates with DART. Luas is a disaster because it can not haul enough people with small capacity cars and runs on slow ROWs.

Things like the Luas are often advocated by NIMBYS in America. NIMBYs are really trying to make a project unworkable instead of a success.

Look at Washington DC for a good system. Everything was completed at the same time to create a core network. It has been expanded over the years. Yet, all lines use the same heavy rail cars. Seamless interchange between different lines in the SAME station. This is the only way to go if you have a 2 seat ride.

You should have a belt line under heavy rail that connects to the DART. If you are spending a billion than do it right. Plus another strategically placed line that might run underground with the equipment. An airport run should be included.

Bill

Advertisement