Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

LirW wrote: »
    Maybe not so much of a tradition but the written skills of people in Facebook groups like Buy and Sell sites and the like.... That's beyond painful.

The writing skills of people on internet forums can also cause severe aches.

Just messing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Every ****ing RTE TV show wallowing in the misery of some poor unfortunate who has some awful disease, survived some horrible accident, has a severely disabled child, is terminally ill... what the fuck is it with that?

Not just RTE, Today FM, Newstalk etc, have a 'Rare Disease of the Week That You've Never Heard Of' slot regularly.

Detailing how awful it is....what the useless HSE aren't doing to help and crowdfunding to get treatment in a proper hospital abroad is the usual thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

seamus wrote: »
    I think he's referring specifically to "Mammy" and "Daddy" rather than Mam, Mum, Ma, Da, Dad.

There's something very deferential, very childish about saying "Mammy" when you're 25.

Speedwell's post made me laugh though. American traditions around names are weird; calling bosses by their surnames, saying "Yes, sir" when talking to more senior colleagues (I've a guy in work does this, he's older than me!), calling your in-laws "Mom" and "Dad"...<shudder>. I call our CEO and founders by their first names, I can't imagine saying, "Hello Mr. <name>" to anyone, except when I'm talking to my kids about their teachers.

It's funny, I remember growing up that the people on the road who didn't have kids, the ones who were just the quiet neighbours, were Mr/Mrs Somebody. Whereas your mates' parents were called by their first name or their full names. You'd always call them John or John Somebody, not Mr. Somebody.

I say Mammy and Daddy. And always will. Calling them anything else just isn’t right, it’s like talking about somebody else’s parents. My mother called her mother ‘mammy’ until the day my maternal grandmother died. Nothing wrong with it. It’s not childish. I fail to see how it differs from any other name a person calls their parents. Families differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Can we just agree that Germans have sh!t taste in music (apart from Can, Neu!, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Einstürzende Neubauten and Rammstein) and move on :)

Can you honestly say Ireland has better taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Not sure if it’s been mentioned already but

Olé olé olé olé....

at every occasion that an Irish team or sometimes just a person takes part in competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

seamus wrote: »
    I think he's referring specifically to "Mammy" and "Daddy" rather than Mam, Mum, Ma, Da, Dad.

There's something very deferential, very childish about saying "Mammy" when you're 25.
    It's rarer than saying Mam here in my experience, still though diminutive names for parents are used in several other languages, it's not uncommon globally. I think it's just what some people are used to growing up and don't change. I don't think one can perform armchair psychoanalysis on it.

Panrich wrote: »
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned already but

Olé olé olé olé....

at every occasion that an Irish team or sometimes just a person takes part in competition

Was watching Katie Taylor’s Olympic win on YouTube last night; fuckin’ ‘olé olé olé’ started up as soon as she was declared the winner. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Was watching Katie Taylor’s Olympic win on YouTube last night; fuckin’ ‘olé olé olé’ started up as soon as she was declared the winner. :mad:

It was sung at the Eurovision in Mill Street when we won yet again. It was at the time when Ireland kept winning the contest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cython wrote: »
    Playing the national anthem to mark the end of the night in pubs and clubs. Fcuking embarrassing use of something that's supposed to represent national pride. Thankfully less prevalent around the Dublin area than where I'm from orginally

does that still go on?

(we must be the only country that does it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It shows pride and patriotism for the country

branie2 wrote: »

but is it necessary to do at closing time when everyone is half locked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

fryup wrote: »
    but is it necessary to do at closing time when everyone is half locked ?

That’s been going on for donkeys

Good way to get punters to try stand up and Fcuk off at closing time

It’s more polite that a publican on a tanoy roaring “ Fcuk off home now, we have your money”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Míshásta wrote: »

People thanking shop assistants and bar staff.

That's not a cringe. It's known as good manners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's not a cringe. It's known as good manners.

Yes, bizarre that anyone would consider that cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Míshásta wrote: »
    People clapping at the end of a performance.

People thanking shop assistants and bar staff.

People singing sean-nós in a Nashville accent.

People saying "excuse me" if they bump into someone.

Country people who speak with a country accent.

People who call the "Room" the Parlour / call the parlour the sitting room / call the sitting room the drawing room / call the drawing room the lounge / etc.

I'm easily cringed.

No clapping at the end of a proformance. Don't say thanks to people who help you. Not saying sorry when you bump into people.

You are the person I cringe about. Someone who sounds like an arse. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

probably mentioned a sh1t tonne of time but the st patricks day parade is a monumental pain in the bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Playing the Irish anthem in a pub full of drunk people? Guessing this is a country thing, never heard of it in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,822 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Berserker wrote: »
    Playing the Irish anthem in a pub full of drunk people? Guessing this is a country thing, never heard of it in Dublin.

I've heard it in Dublin.

i don't know, kinda smacks of extreme republicanism to me...when everyone is well jarred and up for a fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i don't know, kinda smacks of extreme republicanism to me...when everyone is well jarred and up for a fight

we must drink in very different establishments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It shows nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I say Mammy and Daddy. And always will. Calling them anything else just isn’t right, it’s like talking about somebody else’s parents. My mother called her mother ‘mammy’ until the day my maternal grandmother died. Nothing wrong with it. It’s not childish. I fail to see how it differs from any other name a person calls their parents. Families differ.

I don't need you to surrender anonymity here but are you from the northern side of the country?

Just that I've observed the adult mammy/daddy phenomenon to be more prevalent there.
    I never hear it in the south.

topper75 wrote: »
    I don't need you to surrender anonymity here but are you from the northern side of the country?

Just that I've observed the adult mammy/daddy phenomenon to be more prevalent there.
    I never hear it in the south.

The wesht. ;) You know, 'mammy' and 'daddy' would not be all that common where I'm from, it's mostly 'mam' and 'dad' and ever a bit of 'mum' because there's a fair few people of half-English parentage where I'm from. But within our own family, on both sides to some extent, 'mammy' and 'daddy' are fairly commonplace.

I have to agree with the poster above who said you can't apply psychoanalysis to something like this. The people who say 'mammy' and 'daddy' don't give it a lot of thought, much like anyone else with their own names for their parents. If I called my parents anything else now, it would just be weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can you honestly say Ireland has better taste?

Hell no.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Hell no.

Which leads me to my question why do the Irish love Fairytale of New York so much?
    It's like the worst song of all time, it sounds like drunken people mumbling stuff that doesn't make any sense after 8 pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Which leads me to my question why do the Irish love Fairytale of New York so much?
    It's like the worst song of all time, it sounds like drunken people mumbling stuff that doesn't make any sense after 8 pints.

you've answered your own question.

I'm sick of it now and can't listen to it any more but it's lyrically an excellent song. Very evocative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm sick of it now and can't listen to it any more but it's lyrically an excellent song. Very evocative.

Agreed, it also seems to be "untouchable" where any cover version is lambasted. Whilst that's perfectly fine in the case Ronan Keating, I think the Christy Moore and Gavin James versions are excellent.

Every pub seems to play the thing on a loop, as if they can't be arsed finding any other songs other than the same-old same-old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

razorblunt wrote: »
    Agreed, it also seems to be "untouchable" where any cover version is lambasted. Whilst that's perfectly fine in the case Ronan Keating, I think the Christy Moore and Gavin James versions are excellent.

Just wait for the Ed Sheeran version.

• Advertisement

Dr Strange wrote: »

Stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sac O Spuds

Dr Strange wrote: »

Saw him do his rendition on the LLS repeat last night. Shocking altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

Oh ffs. It's hardly shocking. It's just more cliché and sweeter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Do we still bless the 'planes with Holy Water at Dublin Airport every new year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Papal visits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Papal visits.

Massive tradition that. One in 1979 and one scheduled for next year. When will the constant chaos end?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Naming children after flavour of the month celebrities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pretty sure that's a no, but out Mayo way they still bless the roads every year.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Yes on a Christmas Day when the airport is closed

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Massive tradition that. One in 1979 and one scheduled for next year. When will the constant chaos end?

Sure if you're an insomniac that's only 23 sleeps until the next visit in 2056.

Every town, village or even places in the middle-of-nowhere having a grotto.

razorblunt wrote: »

I'd be interested to hear other versions! The Ronan Keating one is godawful though. I think people just think McGowan's voice suits the subject matter perfectly.
    Every pub seems to play the thing on a loop, as if they can't be arsed finding any other songs other than the same-old same-old.

I know, I just cannot listen to it anymore despite it being a great song.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Naming children after flavour of the month celebrities.
    that's not an irish tradition... 40yo John Pauls would be an irish tradition!

I'd be interested to hear other versions! The Ronan Keating one is godawful though. I think people just think McGowan's voice suits the subject matter perfectly.

Gavin James: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtGrM4O2BJ8

It's on Spotify too, I think he covered during one of those Spotify Sessions gigs.

that's not an irish tradition... 40yo John Pauls would be an irish tradition!

but there's plenty of John Paul's in this country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Probably been mentioned loads of times but I'm not going though all those pages to see if it has but The Rose of Tralee should be on consigned to history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Probably been mentioned loads of times but I'm not going though all those pages to see if it has but The Rose of Tralee should be on consigned to history!

At the top of the page you will see "Search this Thread". Click on that and type Rose of Tralee.

but there's plenty of John Paul's in this country

Exactly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

Before a match with England in Rugby or Football(Not so much now since we realized to the English they don't see Ireland as a rivalry) but evoking images and links to Ireland's troubled past under British rule. It's so cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Something that seems to be confined to Irish Life but this idea of having a seat in a pub does my head in. Sitting in me local bar and a couple come in and whats meant to be a joke but isnt, ''you're in our seats''

am I? **** off!!

I see it in a lot of local pubs, place could be empty but people will more or less invade others space just to get on the table they normally sit on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement