Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security at Ben Dunnes gym, Northwood Q?.

Options
  • 26-10-2016 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently changed gym to Ben Dunnes gym in Northwood, Santry and I'm wondering about security there, if anyone here has any experience parking up there I'd really appreciate it.

I lock my bikes up no where, I've just bought my first lock in fact!. But as Northwood is midway between work and home it makes sense to drop in on the way home.

So, any reports of bike thefts from this gym?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Not sure about bikes but in the last year or so there's been a few robberies out of cars and lockers broken into inside the changing areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not sure about bikes but in the last year or so there's been a few robberies out of cars and lockers broken into inside the changing areas

Sh*t, that doesn't fill me with confidence :o

Sh*t, that doesn't fill me with confidence :o

Sorry. You do see bikes locked there though in the mornings so may be not so bad

Sorry. You'd never really see bikes locked there all day. I hate even leaving anything the lockers but the new layout hopefully means it's a bit better

I'm usually swimming there so we're talking an hour max. I'm lucky that I have secure parking for my bikes in work, and I store them in my house so this is really the first time I've trusted a lock anywhere.

I'm just hoping I remember to remove my Garmin, lights etc. I'm usually a bit scatter brained lol.

I'm usually swimming there so we're talking an hour max. I'm lucky that I have secure parking for my bikes in work, and I store them in my house so this is really the first time I've trusted a lock anywhere.

I'm just hoping I remember to remove my Garmin, lights etc. I'm usually a bit scatter brained lol.

I was at the traffic lights outside the super valu in ballymun at lunchtime on Friday and a prick was robbing a small bag from underneath the saddle of a pushbike left outside. I beeped the horn, shouted etc. He just smiled. There was a garda car beside me. It just drove off

Please leave nothing of value with your bike in Northwood :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

Yeah I had a few experiences in the gym, one where I had my good watch and phone in the locker and some teen came into the gym and told the receptionist that my locker was hers and that she had lost the key.
    It was by sheer luck that I arrived back from my workout just in time. She was just about to open my locker when I told her it was mine.
    That teen must've been watching because my watch cost a grand and the phone was dear too.

Another experience, I found a watch on a treadmill and gave it to the girl wiping the machines. The girl who owned the watch came back about half an hour later. I told her who I gave the watch to and the staff denied knowing who it was. I felt bad that I handed it in, should've left it there.

I wrote into Ben Dunne on FB about that and they didnt even respond.

In saying all that, this happened about two years ago and they have changed staff in the meantime.

A girl I know got her car broken into and they took her wages, she got paid that day. That was about 6 months ago.

I've never seen a bike being robbed but they do have signs in the car park saying you leave your car and belongings at your own risk.

I dont leave anything worth anything in the lockers now.

I have to say the gym itself is fantastic, great value for money, I'm in it since it opened but theres not much security there and opportunists are always on the make.

Make sure if you bring your bike that you have a few decent locks for it and dont leave accessories on it and it should be okay.
    The bike parking area is outside the main door and its always busy coming in and out. Id say it would be ok.

joesoap5 wrote: »
    Y

Another experience, I found a watch on a treadmill and gave it to the girl wiping the machines. The girl who owned the watch came back about half an hour later. I told her who I gave the watch to and the staff denied knowing who it was. I felt bad that I handed it in, should've left it there.

I wrote into Ben Dunne on FB about that and they didnt even respond.

Cheers for that, and it confirms something I'd said to a few people in the last few months.

I've been a member of various gyms over the last 30 years and the staff in this gym are the least friendliest, least welcoming or approachable gym staff anywhere I've trained.

Once, and only once have I spoken to a staff member and that was because he was telling me I couldn't train in flip-flops lol.. I don't expect to be treated like royalty anywhere, but a simple smile or a nod in your direction once in a awhile wouldn't go a miss.

I didn't buy an altogether brilliant lock, but I only intend using my hybrid for cycling to this place.. Replacing it [the hybrid] wouldn't cost me half as much as the road bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

Cheers for that, and it confirms something I'd said to a few people in the last few months.

I've been a member of various gyms over the last 30 years and the staff in this gym are the least friendliest, least welcoming or approachable gym staff anywhere I've trained.

Once, and only once have I spoken to a staff member and that was because he was telling me I couldn't train in flip-flops lol.. I don't expect to be treated like royalty anywhere, but a simple smile or a nod in your direction once in a awhile wouldn't go a miss.

I didn't buy an altogether brilliant lock, but I only intend using my hybrid for cycling to this place.. Replacing it [the hybrid] wouldn't cost me half as much as the road bike.

Yeah you're right about some of the staff at least.
    You just reminded me there, about two weeks ago my dad was up there and he left his phone on one of the machines. Nothing fancy, it was Samsung 3 so old enough.
    He asked the girl at reception about it and she wasnt a bit helpful. She only responded in passing, didnt even ask him details about it or sympathise.

I only go back each year because it is so cheap and the equipment is good enough and the pool is handy.

If you can overlook the staff and some of the posing that goes on its not a bad aul spot. ;)

Advertisement