Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB pedal advice

Options
  • 26-10-2016 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Just got a hard tail mountain bike and I'm looking for some clipless pedals to wear with mountain bike shoes but also pedals that could be used when wearing just runners if out for a little spin with my kids.

Any recommendations welcome tnx

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I use these on my CX bike, good all-rounder. Fugly though..
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m424-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod7808

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another option are Shimano M324 - SPD on one side and flat on the other and all in aluminium so no ugly black bits!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m324-clipless-spd-flat-mtb-pedals/rp-prod5937

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can get cheapo plastic cage clip ons for SPDs too, i was given a pair free in a shop once.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Personally I like the Crank Brothers Candy 3. A very nice XC mtb pedal with a bit of play and dead easy to get your foot into as has 4 entry point neither of which shimano has. If you want to ride in runners there is enough platform for tootling down to the shops so long as the sole is kinda soft to grip a bit. All the shimano offerings as a bit heavy and to be honest a bit ugly IMO. The attachable platforms I find a bit of a faff as you can never find them when you want them (bit like Look keo cleat covers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Regular SPD's are grand in runners for spins with kids, down to the shop etc. The problem with single-sided pedals is that they can be awkward to flip over to clip into which is not what you want when actually mountain biking. They're very cheap too if you find you don't like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have the M324's and really like them. I only started mountain biking a month or back and started off with platform pedals (Shimano Saints) which were absolutely fine when off road and you need to put your foot down but weren't as good on gravel trails or on the road. With the M324's the flat platform side faces up the way by default so when going off road its very easy to clip out, let the pedal swing around and use the flat side. I have no problems clipping in again when the need arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m647-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod4516

Perfect for MTB. Have been using these for a few years now. Very easy to clip into. If you can't quite clip in for whatever reason (mud etc) they'll keep you going by just using the black platform. Seem pretty durable. As you say if you were out for a little spin with the kids etc, you could easily use runners and I have often done exactly that.

I would definitely not use one sided pedals for MTB - you do not want to find yourself trying to clip in but realising the wrong pedal side is up and you've feck all grip on the flat side with clipless shoes. Great for commuting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

steamsey wrote: »
    I would definitely not use one sided pedals for MTB - you do not want to find yourself trying to clip in but realising the wrong pedal side is up and you've feck all grip on the flat side with clipless shoes. Great for commuting though.

Grip on the non clip in side with MTB shoes is very good, the shoes have large chunky grips down each side and on the toe that allow perfect grip on the platform side of the pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Another option are Shimano M324 - SPD on one side and flat on the other and all in aluminium so no ugly black bits!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m324-clipless-spd-flat-mtb-pedals/rp-prod5937

Mine are Shimano M530. Same setup, flat one side, SPD the other. They present the SPD side up as a matter of course but are easy to flip for flat shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

+1 for the M647s A lot of people I know use them and they seem pretty bomb proof.

Tbh though, if you're a beginner I'd be inclined to stick with platforms as they encourage you to learn proper technique, and you won't have any issues switching shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Any clipless MTB style pedal will do as long as you get one with a big platform

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

steamsey wrote: »
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m647-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod4516

Perfect for MTB. Have been using these for a few years now. Very easy to clip into. If you can't quite clip in for whatever reason (mud etc) they'll keep you going by just using the black platform. Seem pretty durable. As you say if you were out for a little spin with the kids etc, you could easily use runners and I have often done exactly that.

But as ugly as f**k ... and weigh as much as a small house!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

ec18 wrote: »
    Any clipless MTB style pedal will do as long as you get one with a big platform

I'd disagree - the spd mechanism gets in the way, almost lethal after a few pints in the wet.

I use XT trekking pedals - you can get the older version:

24118_00_d.jpg

Or the newer version with the addition of pins.

pdt8000.jpg

Light and bombproof. I use them for the sunday club run, big sportives (WW200/ROK), heading down the pub to watch the footy and towing the kids in the trailer. Oh and reflectors too, to comply with the riding at night regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

saccades wrote: »
    I'd disagree - the spd mechanism gets in the way, almost lethal after a few pints in the wet.

I use XT trekking pedals - you can get the older version:

24118_00_d.jpg

Or the newer version with the addition of pins.

pdt8000.jpg

Light and bombproof. I use them for the sunday club run, big sportives (WW200/ROK), heading down the pub to watch the footy and towing the kids in the trailer. Oh and reflectors too, to comply with the riding at night regs.

Pints ... and pedals with pins ... a recipe for pain!! :cool:

Advertisement