Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shellac and gel nails?

Options
  • 26-10-2016 10:19pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for what may seem a stupid question but can you get shellac on gel nails?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Yep

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Yep

Can you also get regular manicures to encourage building up your natural nails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't understand the question S?

You would be getting regular manicures with the application of gels or refills, the cuticle work done and the application of cuticle oil. If you're going to apply gels constantly, your nails will be damaged, irrespective of whether you've had manicures or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't understand the question S?

You would be getting regular manicures with the application of gels or refills, the cuticle work done and the application of cuticle oil. If you're going to apply gels constantly, your nails will be damaged, irrespective of whether you've had manicures or not.
    You've answered me it was more the cuticle stuff I was asking about

I didn't realise they were doing the cuticle stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Your nails shouldn't be damaged if you go to a good technician. They shouldn't be filing the surface of your natural nail at all before applying the gel (good quality brands, that is.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    Your nails shouldn't be damaged if you go to a good technician. They shouldn't be filing the surface of your natural nail at all before applying the gel (good quality brands, that is.)

Everywhere that I've had my nails done, they've filled/buffed the surface of my nails before applying gel polish....? Can you recommend somewhere that won't do this?

Everywhere that I've had my nails done, they've filled/buffed the surface of my nails before applying gel polish....? Can you recommend somewhere that won't do this?

Gel polish will damage your nails as will acrylic. The buffing is done so that the product adheres better to the nail so lasts longer. This is not recommended for application of shellac, and shellac is a porus soft gel so is not as harsh or as damaging in your natural nail as traditional gels or a harder gel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Gel polish will damage your nails as will acrylic. The buffing is done so that the product adheres better to the nail so lasts longer. This is not recommended for application of shellac, and shellac is a porus soft gel so is not as harsh or as damaging in your natural nail as traditional gels or a harder gel.

Weird - I've gone to multiple salons over the years and they all seem to do it as a matter of course, and definitely including places that use real Shellac.

Weird - I've gone to multiple salons over the years and they all seem to do it as a matter of course, and definitely including places that use real Shellac.

The nail techs I worked with who did shellac would do it too because it lasted people longer. They don't recommend you do that in the prep though. I remember asking the nail tech I worked with why she did it as I learned not to do it and apparently the base coat sits better on a rougher nail than a super smooth one, it's more liable to peel off a smooth nail

Sorry for dragging this you but I think I've figured out my issue ref cuticles.

I'm using acrylic nails to grow my nails. When I used get regular manicures on my natural nails, they spent most of the time pushing back the cuticles and trimming them using a scraper thing and a cuticle trimmer.

That's not done when I get acrylics. Do I need to ask for a manicure and acrylics to deal with this? At the moment I've lovely nails but ragga cuticles which are all split and horrid

And don't suggest doing them myself if I trim my cuticles I end up mutilation myself

• Advertisement

I am not familiar with acrylic application because I haven't done it in years but my understanding would be that it would be similar to gels? In that nail prep should be done. Ie

1. Cuticles pushed back and nipped where needed. Have a clean base, and start application or refills?

If she's not doing this then yes you'd have to ask for a seperate manicure but I'd be surprised that an acrylic application would require you needing to ask for cuticle work.

I am not familiar with acrylic application because I haven't done it in years but my understanding would be that it would be similar to gels? In that nail prep should be done. Ie

1. Cuticles pushed back and nipped where needed. Have a clean base, and start application or refills?

If she's not doing this then yes you'd have to ask for a seperate manicure but I'd be surprised that an acrylic application would require you needing to ask for cuticle work.

None it's not being done.
    The way they do it is to use a dremel like tool to file the top of the nail, then they apply the tip and acrylic, then file once it's dried, then I wash my hands and Polish goes on.

I then end up with thick raggy cuticles, I've four at the moment that are split if you know what I mean and three others that have a couple of layers.

Now the majority of people just see the nice nails but it annoys me

When you go for refills and they're removing the old acrylic do they soak it off or use that file thing to buff it off?
    If they're not doing cuticles but charging standard price then I'd say it to be honest

When you go for refills and they're removing the old acrylic do they soak it off or use that file thing to buff it off?
    If they're not doing cuticles but charging standard price then I'd say it to be honest

Soak with tinfoil?

Thanks for the advice lll ask in future about cuticles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry for jumping in, but I thought cutting cuticles at all was a big no-no? Entry point for disease into the body.

pwurple wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping in, but I thought cutting cuticles at all was a big no-no? Entry point for disease into the body.

I probably phrased it wrong what I mean is if you have a buildup of excess skin around your nails and trimming thar back

It's like a barrier layer between nail and skin

pwurple wrote: »
    Cutting skin is a big no no. Pushing cuticles back and nipping off the dead skin that's lifted away from the nail would be pretty standard. Now if it's cheap and no frills then I can imagine it wouldn't be included but should be at least recommended

Just to update in this, my hairdresser recommended her nail tech and I went there today.

It was a revelation.

She does the filing and manicure, doesn't use tips but instead builds up the nail with acrylic.

She took an hour and 15 minutes to do what the other place I went to did in forty and was 10% cheaper along with being someone who delivers training in nail work.

She also gave me loads of advice.

Guess it's a case of finding someone who works for you, personally I'm delighted

Advertisement