Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cx bike sizing

Options
  • 26-10-2016 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi guys looking at a cx bike size 54 . Im normally a size 56 on a road bike 6ft and short arse legs do you think I would get away with it ? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Star hurl wrote:
    Hi guys looking at a cx bike size 54 . Im normally a size 56 on a road bike 6ft and short arse legs do you think I would get away with it ? Cheers

It might help to know that i am a 53 on a specialized road bike and a 50 on a fuji cross. Both female specific bikes. You really need to sit on the bike because the geometry is different. I was properly fitted for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I thought legend had it that you should go down a size for CX, but I ride a 56 road bike and the best fit for me on a Focus CX bike was also 56.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

Yea have heard aright to go down a size for cx I suppose you don't really know until you stand over it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Depends on the manufacturers sizing. My road and cross bikes are 49s but are both Specialized. My Kinesis cross bike is a 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

I've had plenty of CX bikes and never went down a size. Best try one out and see what you're comfortable on. I'm same size as you and normally ride a 56cm, my current CX is actually a 57cm frame and fits fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

The seat tube dimension is not so relevant. You need to go by the top tube.
    There are lots of opinions out there, but generally roadies who also ride CX will have the bars a little closer and a little higher relative to the BB. In my case, that's 1cm and 1cm. Also very useful to bring the shifters farther up the bars - or just rotate the bars up. Lastly, many will slightly lower their saddle; makes remounts easy, but also allows you to shift weight better.

Advertisement