Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't busy bodies just pi$$ you off!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

joesoap5 wrote: »
    So I was about to take the drivers reg when this busy body on her bike came along telling me it wasn't the drivers fault.
    I seen the aul one down the road and said to her about her being a busy body who didn't know what happened. She said she saw everything and that it wasn't his fault.
    I actually found her more annoying than the driver.

Everyday sexism? I find this more unpleasant than the description of the crash.

The witness told the OP, correctly, that he was in the wrong for crashing into the back of another vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    Was she hot, probably in shape cycling. Make the most of a bad situation discuss it over drinks

If I ever see her again I'm giving her a copy of the rules of the road.

You ain't seeing much bud if you are busy crashing into the back of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

When you see someone crash on their bike the correct response is "Are you OK?" Not "That was your fault".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

fat bloke wrote: »
    When you see someone crash on their bike the correct response is "Are you OK?" Not "That was your fault".

Unless it was the OP who crashed :pac:

OP you're not really describing the location very well tbh. Did you have a continuous white line on the cycle lane or a broken white line?.

Either way you're the more vulnerable one in a collision with just about anything else on the road so you should be taking better care of yourself.

Glad you're well enough to have a good ol' rant about it, but take it on the chin as a lesson learned.

Safe cycling :D

Unless - and this is just a theory, mind - the cyclist is in full voice telling the other party off when the cyclist is actually at fault?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I take it the other cyclist overtook you and Mr beemer in order to be in a position to cut into the cycle lane? Or where did he come from?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is like telling someone 'it's your fault i punched you in the face because you put your face in the way when i swung my fist'.

OP, i was once in a very similar position to you, i hit the back of a taxi due to my own lack of observation, after he pulled in to pick up a fare - and i was looking the wrong way. it was my fault i hit him, he was completely stationary by the time i looked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The guy was a dickhead, he was in illegal space and he slammed suddenly in order to not hit another cyclist.

Sounds like an asshole alright, what was he thinking stopping to avoid driving over another cyclist?

Anyway, this thread and this event is a perfect illustration of why protected, separated cycle lanes are badly needed.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Anyway, this thread and this event is a perfect illustration of why protected, separated cycle lanes are badly needed.

And what about protection from busybodies? What about them? Who's going to protect us from them? Are you going to do it? Are the cycle lanes going to do that?
    And why don't you go get a haircut??

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Jesus, is that you?

Lumen wrote: »
    Jesus, is that you?

Yes, my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Fwonky wrote: »
    As much that cyclists fault than yours tbh, you should never make a manoeuvre that causes someone on the road to slow down unintentionally. This would be a fail on a drivers test, and being on the road, cyclists should follow these standards too really.

Is that you Joe?

What is this "causing someone to slow down unintentionally" rule? Sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

buffalo wrote: »
    Is that you Joe?

What is this "causing someone to slow down unintentionally" rule? Sounds great!
    I assume "slow down unintentionally" means "crash".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I had visions of a mysterious 3rd leg appearing from under the driver's seat and firmly pressing the brake pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

nuh uh. This definitely means if I'm behind someone who wants to turn into a side road while we're both doing 50kph, they're not allowed slow me down and so have to take the corner at 50kph.

Anyway, this thread and this event is a perfect illustration of why protected, separated cycle lanes are badly needed. some people should not have access to public roads.
    FYP!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not really. I see a car being arsey and in a cycle lane, I keep my distance. OP should've done the same. Not enough people bother to assess their environment and want everything done for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And was it around here? Sounds like that by what you describe. The lane design there is awful, but I would always expect to see cars crossing to take the left

https://goo.gl/maps/ySp62R2fdd72

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not really. I see a car being arsey and in a cycle lane, I keep my distance. OP should've done the same. Not enough people bother to assess their environment and want everything done for them.

Driver couldn't have driven into a protected cycle lane, though, so the stupidity wouldn't have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Driver couldn't have driven into a protected cycle lane, though, so the stupidity wouldn't have happened.

Really? To me this story is evidence that some cyclists need more education in how to progress safely in traffic.

Car.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Everyday sexism? I find this more unpleasant than the description of the crash.

The witness told the OP, correctly, that he was in the wrong for crashing into the back of another vehicle.

"I seen the aul wan"

Can I join in?

Ageism as well as sexism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You should also quickly follow that by asking "Is your bike OK?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    "I seen the aul wan"

Can I join in?

Ageism as well as sexism.
    Not to mention the grammar!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: We are getting onto grammar, casual sexism and casual ageism. I think both viewpoints have been made. I will let everyone make up their own mind on who was in the right, who was in the wrong, or if in fact, both were in the wrong. THREAD CLOSED PM me if you can think of a reason to open it (that is reasonable and justified).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement