Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing for beginners

• 27-10-2016 1:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone, can you guys recommend a skiing venue for two adults and a 10 year old, none of whom have ever skied before?
    Any venue's before Christmas, if possible, and not the US. Keep it European and ideally a friendly atmosphere, don't need the jet-set crowd and "my label is cooler than your label" type of thing.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

" don't need the jet-set crowd"
    So, you want to go skiing..and get there in a plane...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think Saalbach is lovely - most Austrian resorts have that lovely alpine vibe, and will deck the place out in a lovely fashion for Christmas!
    One place which is very family & beginner friendly is Westendorf. Not so big, but it might be what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

OP, the main ski season starts early to mid January until mid March. If you have to go in the shoulder seasons you need to stick to resorts with glaciers, namely Tignes, Val Thorens, Kaprun, Hintertux etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭trashcan

olaola wrote: »
    One place which is very family & beginner friendly is Westendorf. Not so big, but it might be what you're looking for.

I love Westendorf. It's a great spot.

Dunno how the snow would be pre Christmas though, it might be dodgy enough. I usually go in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

trashcan wrote: »
    I love Westendorf. It's a great spot.

Dunno how the snow would be pre Christmas though, it might be dodgy enough. I usually go in February.

It really sounds perfect for what they're looking for. I suppose if they book last minute, see what the snow is like. They might grab a bargain too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

I remember looking at it and it looked very quaint, but could be carnage in a bad snow year and as I recall last year was totally green prior to Christmas.

Advertisement