Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway Tolls

• 27-10-2016 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

How do you manage change for the motorway tolls you have to pay for?

I have a tank bag but it's still awkward getting to the coins with gloves on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have a little pocket in the sleeve of my jacket.

Or if I know I am going on a journey that I know will take me through a toll, I put a coin in the velcro on the glove sleeve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Drive around it ? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

€50 note in wallet, stop bike, get off, remove gloves, dig out wallet, hand over cash, but change into wallet, gloves and back on bike.

Or if you don't want to make a statement, stick a credit card somewhere handy and use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

if you use it a lot, just get a toll tag - we have them on our Blood Bikes here in the West. Or should I say Wesht :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Slide it in my glove on the back of my hand. Very handy altogether......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

coin under velcro on the glove is what I do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Tape the coin to the top yoke or brake master cyl. Let the attendant bin the tape.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Pay in 1c coins until they get the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

macplaxton wrote: »
    Pay in 1c coins until they get the message.

Won't work.

Coins are only legal tender up to 50 coins. Section 10, Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Paulw wrote: »
    Won't work.

Coins are only legal tender up to 50 coins. Section 10, Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998.

then hand them 50 1 cent coins at a time :D

I presume that law is to stop people paying fines in truck loads of 1 cent coins?

Paulw wrote: »
    Won't work.

Ok, 50 x 2c coins (assume a €1 toll). And invite your mates along to do the same.

and if they don't accept coppers, 10 x 10c. and invite ten times as many mates. Count out slow. Repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

CJhaughey wrote: »
    macplaxton wrote: »
    Ok, 50 x 2c coins (assume a €1 toll). And invite your mates along to do the same.

and if they don't accept coppers, 10 x 10c. and invite ten times as many mates. Count out slow. Repeat.

M4 is €1.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

galwaytt wrote: »
    if you use it a lot, just get a toll tag - we have them on our Blood Bikes here in the West. Or should I say Wesht :)

Didn't think you could get a tag for a bike. Where? Eflow?

Didn't think you could get a tag for a bike. Where? Eflow?

It's just an ordinary car tag - nothing special about it. We have it in a small ziplock bag to seal it from water, and cable tied to the bike.

Am looking for an enclosure to 'pot' it in to though.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

It's just an ordinary car tag - nothing special about it. We have it in a small ziplock bag to seal it from water, and cable tied to the bike.

Cool. Might do the same. The odd time I want to avoid the N4 and pay the toll it could be handy. I know some say just slip through the truck barrier but I cant see the staff not chancing it up with cctv footage.

I know some say just slip through the truck barrier but I cant see the staff not chancing it up with cctv footage.

That's why you Tax your bike ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

But are you not paying car rate with that?

Blue tack €1 or €2 coin to bar/top yolk/dash works for me.

I think he means it's a bog standard electronic toll tag. It's the same basic device regardless of class of vehicle. The class of vehicle will be registered against the account, so it'll be charged at m/c rates.

• Advertisement

Bosh wrote: »
    But are you not paying car rate with that?

Blue tack €1 or €2 coin to bar/top yolk/dash works for me.

No, it's a bike rate. Just register as normal with your reg number.

The physical tag is sane as car one

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I can't understand why the Tollsters don't exempt ALL Motorcycles,as the attendant delays they cause far exceeds the amount of revenue taken in....Get a bit of Sense,Toll Operators.....let bikes through for Free :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I can't understand why the Tollsters don't exempt ALL Motorcycles,as the attendant delays they cause far exceeds the amount of revenue taken in....Get a bit of Sense,Toll Operators.....let bikes through for Free :eek:

I also think when temps are -0 & a strong risk of ice the Tolls should be free. I would imagine this would save a few lives per winter.

A few years ago I seen a pouch style netting that you could sit your coins into. When needed you just had to push the net up and take the coins out. No need to take off gloves etc etc. Ive tried googling it but have yet to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I usually have the money ready cos I know I'll use it. But regular use you really need a toll tag.

I've driven around the barrier a few times, never heard a thing about it. I remember years ago a guy on biker saying he drives around the old M50 one twice a day on his commute.

AlekSmart wrote: »

...because it's not up to the Toll operators to do so. Charges are laid down in legislation by the Dáil. To change the rates requires the Minister to do so, the toll operator's have no choice.

Ode To The Motorist

...because it's not up to the Toll operators to do so. Charges are laid down in legislation by the Dáil. To change the rates requires the Minister to do so, the toll operator's have no choice.

DCC could have zero'd the tolls on the East link when they got it recently, there was no talk of needing legislation, but rather keep the money and traffic chaos.

Del2005 wrote: »
    DCC could have zero'd the tolls on the East link when they got it recently, there was no talk of needing legislation, but rather keep the money and traffic chaos.

Dunno about East Link - but all the new motorways are PPP and the rates are tied to that legally : it's also why the rates vary - depends on the deal, on the day the contract was put together.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

A €1 coin just about fits under the fuel tank lock flap on many bikes. The flap won't cover the coin flush but it will hold it - it's how I have done it for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Del2005 wrote: »
    Dunno about East Link - but all the new motorways are PPP and the rates are tied to that legally : it's also why the rates vary - depends on the deal, on the day the contract was put together.

Eastlink is and always has been free for Bikes .... LINK ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have never paid a toll in my life when on the bike, not to get all political but its a double tax in my eyes. If I could get away with it in my car I would not pay either, they get enough money from my wife on her commute to work.

I must have well a truly gone through the tolls all over this fair land about 100 times and never heard a dicky bird back. So until I hear from DICKY (no homo jokes) I shall continue to do so......

Advertisement