Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax relief for cohabiting with Fiance?

Options
  • 27-10-2016 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone!

I've a little bit of a strange question.

I currently (and for over a year now) have been living with my fiance.
    I read that I may be entitled to some tax relief if she's dependent on my income.
    However, I can't find if it applies before we're married and also I don't know how to apply.

Anyone out there that knows or has done something like this, your information would be greatly appreciated.
    I'll give you the main details that are going to be relevant based on details I found:

Living together for about 1.5 years
    Total time together: 7 years.
    No kids.

1 working (myself)
    1 studying (herself), not working.

Renting apartment
    Not parents dependent.
    Have travel expenses (about 70km driving per day)
    She has to often get the bus (approx 35-40eu per week)
    I pay all bills and landlord would confirm that we've been living together for the above duration too.
    Also have a letter to prove we lived together in a shared student accommodation 2 years ago for duration of 1 year (to prove we're not just trying to scam the system or such)

Does anyone know much about this and could advise?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Moved from state benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's no specific tax relief for having a dependent living with you.

When you marry, you'll be able to pool your tax bands and allowances, etc, which may result in a tax saving if there is a signficant disparity between your respective incomes.

Until then, you're taxed as two single individuals. Neither of you gets a tax deduction in respect of the other.

Advertisement