Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re: Rent increase notice- and must examples be given by landlord?

Options
  • 27-10-2016 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi, I got a letter that rent increasing in 3 months time, the rent has not increased with 2 years so the landlord has the right to increase. I'm not sure if the 3 month notice letter is valid as I thought it should be sent with two property examples on the market at the moment to rent with the new rent the landlord hoped to charge. Is this correct or can the 3 months letter be sent on its own without anything else ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

harry999 wrote: »
    Hi, I got a letter that rent increasing in 3 months time, the rent has not increased with 2 years so the landlord has the right to increase. I'm not sure if the 3 month notice letter is valid as I thought it should be sent with two property examples on the market at the moment to rent with the new rent the landlord hoped to charge. Is this correct or can the 3 months letter be sent on its own without anything else ? Thanks

They must provide 3 examples:
    specify, for the purposes of paragraph (d), and without prejudice to
    the generality of that paragraph, the amount of rent sought for 3
    dwellings—
    (i) of a similar size, type and character to the dwelling that is the
    subject of the tenancy, and
    (ii) situated in a comparable area to that in which the dwelling the
    subject of the tenancy concerned is situated,

The question is, is the new rent market rent? Also how is your relationship with the landlord? It may create animosity with your landlord to delay the new rent on a technicality.

Advertisement