Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Merchants Road

Options
  • 27-10-2016 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Relatively new bar on Merchants road (not sure if I can name) taking up 4 parking spaces directly outside its door with large pot plants placed in the spaces.
    How are they allowed to take up these spaces on public parking?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it Tribeton?

I doubt they could do it without council permission, and council do check and did order removal, in this case of seating not allowed here

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Yea, Tribeton, noticed it a few times and just wondered how they got away with it. Parking tight enough around city centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Contact the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

connollys wrote: »
    Relatively new bar on Merchants road (not sure if I can name) taking up 4 parking spaces directly outside its door with large pot plants placed in the spaces.

Are you sure its the Bar that has installed them and not the City Council trying in vain to beautify the Dual Carriageway that is Merchants Road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

The less general parking spaces in the city the better. Improve the amount of disabled spaces and force as much traffic from the centre as possible by reducing parking spaces.

This thread is about one topic - flower boxes outside Tribeton and whether they are council approved.

Strong possibility Council installed the Flower Boxes because Cars trying to park here near the junction were disrupting the "car traffic flow" that they are very fond of maintaining at all costs in the City Centre. Cannot see any harm adding a bit of Greenery to Merchants Road. Such an Ugly Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

topcat77 wrote: »
    The less general parking spaces in the city the better. Improve the amount of disabled spaces and force as much traffic from the centre as possible by reducing parking spaces.

As a city centre resident with rights to free parking in Merchant's Rd, I'm actually pretty p*ssed that Tribeton have removed the amount of spaces that I can use - and I likely won't even have access to a car until December!

Like it or not, our inner city is a residential zone. Right of residents need to be considered. This includes the right to move stuff in and our of our houses without massive inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It's about who you know, not what you know

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It's about who you know, not what you know

Oh do tell!

As a city centre resident with rights to free parking in Merchant's Rd, I'm actually pretty p*ssed that Tribeton have removed the amount of spaces that I can use - and I likely won't even have access to a car until December!
    Do you not have to pay the Council for a "residents permit"? Or has that been abolished?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Like it or not, our inner city is a residential zone. Right of residents need to be considered. This includes the right to move stuff in and our of our houses without massive inconvenience.

I agree with zone residential parking via a parking permit. it's general street parking that i don't agree with

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you not have to pay the Council for a "residents permit"? Or has that been abolished?

Because I don't own car, I just get visitors tickets. Cost about €2.50 each, purchased in books of five. So virtually free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Because I don't own car, I just get visitors tickets. Cost about €2.50 each, purchased in books of five. So virtually free.

I wouldn't consider €2.50 per ticket "virtually free"... :confused:
    (maybe I'm just tight!)

Drove past the boxes yesterday. It's the same ones as council puts along Sean Mulvoy during summer.
    I'm 99% the council put them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

connollys wrote: »

I don't know where that bar is exactly but are you saying the boxes are on actual parking spaces? Not loading bays? I have often found it difficult to find a space and I would be looking initially for a disabled space but really any space would do. So now we are talking about four fewer spaces? But there has to be some rationale for that?

Advertisement