Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice restaurant Dun laoghaire?

Options
  • 27-10-2016 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Going away for 2 nights to the royal marine hotel in dun laoghaire next week with the missus. Can anyone recommend decent restaurants for dinner and lunch? I've gotten some ideas on Tripadvisor but would like to hear some other opinions. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Hartleys for fancy dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hartleys, Oliveto or Toscana are all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Been to Oliveto once and really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Fallon & Byrne in Peoples Park for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Shanai in Glasthule is a very short walk if you fancy a delicious Indian dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Agree on suggestions. Neither very fancy but O'Dells in Sandycove and Delhi Rasoi on Cumberland St. (opp Dole Office) both great IMHO.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gourmet Food Parlour is good for lunch/brunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bits and Pizzas on nearby Patrick Street is a 30 years old Dun Laoghaire tradition. Ideal for lunch, simple pizza and pasta, nicely done, decent price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Echoing a few suggestions from others.

Hartleys and Toscanas for dinner. Could even slip into Monkstown for more options.

Oliveto, GFP, Bits and Pizzas for lunches

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Definitely recommend Hartleys. My favourite restaurant in Dun Laoire. ODells is a really cosy family run restaurant in Sandycove. Beautiful walk up by sea from hotel. For seafood and a really nice bar Id recommend The Purty Kitchen near the west pier.

Then a little further on towards Monkstown you have a couple of Asian/Asian fusion restaurants and on the same strip you have FX Buckleys for some of the best steaks in Dublin at great prices.

All these restaurants are within 25 min walk from hotel. Which is a fantastic hotel. You are very spoiled in D/L

Do let us know what you thought of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Lunch: Gourmet Food Parlour and Fallon & Byrne in the Park best recommendations.

Dinner: Hartleys nice, but if you'd like to enjoy a drink after, would recommend instead journeying the short distance to Dalkey (Dun Laoghaire not great for pubs for couples). Choice restaurants there would be De Villes and 1909. Magpie or Finnegans for drinks before or after. Monkstown also worth considering with Seapoint probably best restaurant, That's Amore and 8A good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Definitely recommend Hartleys. My favourite restaurant in Dun Laoire. ODells is a really cosy family run restaurant in Sandycove. Beautiful walk up by sea from hotel. For seafood and a really nice bar Id recommend The Purty Kitchen near the west pier.

Then a little further on towards Monkstown you have a couple of Asian/Asian fusion restaurants and on the same strip you have FX Buckleys for some of the best steaks in Dublin at great prices.

All these restaurants are within 25 min walk from hotel. Which is a fantastic hotel. You are very spoiled in D/L

Do let us know what you thought of it all.

If you head towards Monsktown, give Seapoint a try. Really nice restaurant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Toscanas would be my favourite restaurant in Dun Laoghaire, lovely food and great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Rasam best indian in south dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Rasam best indian in south dublin.

Yes, excellent. Ananda in Dundrum TC is of similar standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It's a no brainer for me, Hartley's is superb and the cocktails are good too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

a little further out is 1909 in Dalkey, amazing,..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Thanks everyone, lots to choose from there. What's the food like in the royal marine hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

toby2111 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, lots to choose from there. What's the food like in the royal marine hotel?

The brekkie is lovely, they will do you an omelette rather than fried food if you prefer a healthier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

That's Amore in Monkstown is the best Italian in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cobham

For a simple lunch menu or even decent coffee, I like Sunshine cafe just past hospital on main Street. Always busy, more seating upstairs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

cobham wrote: »
    For a simple lunch menu or even decent coffee, I like Sunshine cafe just past hospital on main Street. Always busy, more seating upstairs.

a few doors up you have Two Beans. even better

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

The hotel has never really been seen as a place to go for a meal, so I guess that would indicate something about the food

We have a dinner included in our 2 night stay so hopefully it'll be decent. We've plenty of choices for lunch and dinner. Might go for an Indian but unsure whether to go to Rasam or elsewhere...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

We have a dinner included in our 2 night stay so hopefully it'll be decent. We've plenty of choices for lunch and dinner. Might go for an Indian but unsure whether to go to Rasam or elsewhere...
    Get a spice cottage delivered to your room :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

qb123 wrote: »
    The hotel has never really been seen as a place to go for a meal, so I guess that would indicate something about the food

I wouldn't say that. I've had nice food in there before. It just isn't on a main thoroughfare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The breakfast is standard fare hotel stuff, not bad but nothing to get excited about. Had dinner there a couple of times though and that was very nice. If you fancy a walk before Dinner I'd suggest heading to Dalkey and Cavistons. The sea food there is amazing, but you would have to book ahead.

How come no one has mentioned Nandos yet? :confused:

We're heading tomorrow for a nice 2 night relaxing break. Kids have been sick and up all night this past week so it's coming at the right time! Hopefully get a nice room, get some decent food in dun laoghaire and have treatments booked.... On a side note, what's the Spa in royal marine like? Heard it's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

For Indian can highly recommend : delhi rasoi dun laoghaire on Cumberland Street. Gawwwdddd their samosas (to say the least) are fab. 5 mins walk from your hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that. I've had nice food in there before. It just isn't on a main thoroughfare

good to hear, we won a voucher for a meal there at a parent's do. It's never occurred to me to have an evening meal in there. Unless you count burgers at a late 80s Glenageary Tennis Club disco.

Advertisement