Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any idea how much a custom exhaust would cost?

Options
  • 27-10-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm likely to catch a bit of "how long is a piece of string?" answers here, but I was hoping the people who'd had a custom exhaust system fabricated might post what it cost them.

I'm building a lightweight, which is in need of a modified/custom fabbed exhaust. The plan is to take it to Souhans or somewhere similar to have the work done. The stock manifold I have needs to be adapted (shortened in depth by 2-3 cm), and then I need cat, mid/back box, all the way to tips. Hoping for a single box, ideally with a snazzy exit.

Problem is, they won't give me an estimate, or even a ballpark before I present myself and my car to them in Trim. It's a big trip; even getting my trailer onto a public road is going to be challenging, and the car isn't driving itself either, so I'll need a mate to take the day off to push it with me too. If they say €1,000 I'll have to turn around and go home again, because my pockets aren't that deep. Essentially I'm trying to get an idea of how much money I'll need to have saved before making the journey.

In case equivalence is hard to guess, I've uploaded examples of other builders' work. Most of these guys did the work themselves though, and my welding isn't at the level where I'd be comfortable doing it myself.

This is what it looked like before I started fiddling with it: http://mevowners.proboards.com/post/67709/thread
    It is too deep, and has a bend, both of which foul the chassis.

I did bring the manifold to the place in Crumlin, and due to a combination of an imperfect description of what I needed on my part and perhaps not the most thought-out work on theirs; one of the two problems was fixed (the 'C') while the depth wasn't and a new height issue created
    http://mevowners.proboards.com/post/85003/thread

Anyone care to share?

How much did you pay? 5 votes

Under €300
    0% 0 votes
    €300 - 500
    20% 1 vote
    €500 - €700
    40% 2 votes
    €700 - €1000
    20% 1 vote
    over a grand
    20% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I make my own exhausts, Souhans aren't too dear for what they do anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Souhans was 350e for my Porsche if I remember correctly.

Thanks a mill, you don't have photos anywhere of the work do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Have a search on Facebook if you have it, groups like the Irish drifting community / rally pages etc could probably steer you in the right direction for a backyard fabricator,

Where in the country are you?

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Have a search on Facebook if you have it, groups like the Irish drifting community / rally pages etc could probably steer you in the right direction for a backyard fabricator,

Where in the country are you?

Dublin.
    I'm not necessarily after a bloke in a shed with a stick welder, I would just like a steer on how much they might charge me, hundreds or thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Souhans -420e for a front axle back 2.5" on my own car, 2.5" with rolled bends and a backbox

Exhaustworx - around 800 for the above in 2.75" with mandrell bends, with 2 silencers, backbox and a front section passing through the front xmember which would need 3 bends cut and welded I think in 8 or 9 places. All in 304 grade ss tig welded. Flanges etc included.

The backyard fabricator I've used before was superior in approach, attitude, quality and price to both. He used tig welding and 304 steel the same as the rest except he only used mandrell bends where possible . Don't place them all in the one corner.

• Advertisement

Souhans -420e for a front axle back 2.5" on my own car, 2.5" with rolled bends and a backbox

Exhaustworx - around 800 for the above in 2.75" with mandrell bends, with 2 silencers, backbox and a front section passing through the front xmember which would need 3 bends cut and welded I think in 8 or 9 places. All in 304 grade ss tig welded. Flanges etc included.

The backyard fabricator I've used before was superior in approach, attitude, quality and price to both. He used tig welding and 304 steel the same as the rest except he only used mandrell bends where possible . Don't place them all in the one corner.

Brilliant, this is exactly what I was after. Sounds like I should be able to get my system done for under a grand. I actually already have a full 2.5" system with two boxes that'd do the job, but it'd need lots of cuts and bends (it was a non-stock replacement (JapSpeed)from the donor).

Out of curiosity, do you have contact details for your guy? I'd be interested in finding out what he might be able to do for me, especially if Souhans give me a quote I can't live with.

Advertisement